This Site Is Becoming Very Hard To Navigate

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
we update stuff at work when it is completely necessary on the back end. Changes to database, security, features now required or necessary to continue working reliably ALL, WAY before we worry about colors or the users. If we don't have to make an update, we'll go through an adoption process and work with the users to see when they want it, what they want etc.

For this upgrade, I'm sure it was a necessary one and that there are changes to the UI and skin that reflect some ideas based on experience that while they jar the users a bit, they will have better results.

I used to be reticent about making changes to our user class. Then, I watched Google and they throw constant, significant change at their users and what it did was make people adapt more quickly and with less resistance, so I moved to that model.

We used to send a lot of warning notes to folks when things were being worked on or adjusted, what we found is it created a TON of false positives and was a waste of time... and it did more harm to morale than good.

So, we stopped. I dig that Alex just low key told us, yeah, update next week, then did it.

All things change constantly. Some things we notice, some less so. The constant IS change. Adapt and overcome. Making strong ties to things that you KNOW will change is not thinking it through.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
They made a change because they tought we might enjoy the change. But i remember, the last update, with the likes and so on, i thought to myself, i will never give a like ever. And now i am just throwing them away like there is no tomorrow.

Let's get used to the new thing, and in another 10 years, we will be grumpy because the emojis are gone.

that probably did not play ANY role in the decision.

they probably got a note saying version X will cease support as of February 22... so, they updated. and the company ceased support because supporting multiple versions is wasteful.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
that probably did not play ANY role in the decision.

they probably got a note saying version X will cease support as of February 22... so, they updated. and the company ceased support because supporting multiple versions is wasteful.
Oh ok. And i thought my best interests were in there somewhere.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Oh ok. And i thought my best interests were in there somewhere.

well, they are. in this case, our best interests are not in emojis or creative color schemes but in uptime and reliable performance. We all want the site to come up when we go to it. We all want it to be fast (no backend database problems) and we all it to zip (new servers, bigger storage etc)... to achieve that, they have to update.

When they update, we get all the new stuff that is the result of tens of thousands of users across thousands of bulletin boards who have asked for add ons and things that they like. We are just part of that bigger community.

So, it was ENTIRELY for our best interests... unfortunately, we usually don't know what is best for us and we don't want to think about it, so, instead we ***** about the drapes instead of enjoying the new plumbing, straight walls, and always available power...

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
They made a change because they tought we might enjoy the change. But i remember, the last update, with the likes and so on, i thought to myself, i will never give a like ever. And now i am just throwing them away like there is no tomorrow.

Let's get used to the new thing, and in another 10 years, we will be grumpy because the emojis are gone.
🥸 emojis, gone?🤪

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
on a rare occasion I read an old post of mine - like really old - and if I could go back in time, I'd tell my 'younger' (less old, less grouchy) self - Dude, lay off the emojis. 😁

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
well, they are. in this case, our best interests are not in emojis or creative color schemes but in uptime and reliable performance. We all want the site to come up when we go to it. We all want it to be fast (no backend database problems) and we all it to zip (new servers, bigger storage etc)... to achieve that, they have to update.

When they update, we get all the new stuff that is the result of tens of thousands of users across thousands of bulletin boards who have asked for add ons and things that they like. We are just part of that bigger community.

So, it was ENTIRELY for our best interests... unfortunately, we usually don't know what is best for us and we don't want to think about it, so, instead we ***** about the drapes instead of enjoying the new plumbing, straight walls, and always available power...
No one likes straight walls.
1641586907630.png

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
we update stuff at work when it is completely necessary on the back end. Changes to database, security, features now required or necessary to continue working reliably ALL, WAY before we worry about colors or the users. If we don't have to make an update, we'll go through an adoption process and work with the users to see when they want it, what they want etc.

For this upgrade, I'm sure it was a necessary one and that there are changes to the UI and skin that reflect some ideas based on experience that while they jar the users a bit, they will have better results.

I used to be reticent about making changes to our user class. Then, I watched Google and they throw constant, significant change at their users and what it did was make people adapt more quickly and with less resistance, so I moved to that model.

We used to send a lot of warning notes to folks when things were being worked on or adjusted, what we found is it created a TON of false positives and was a waste of time... and it did more harm to morale than good.

So, we stopped. I dig that Alex just low key told us, yeah, update next week, then did it.

All things change constantly. Some things we notice, some less so. The constant IS change. Adapt and overcome. Making strong ties to things that you KNOW will change is not thinking it through.

When I updated systems that had user interfaces, I would get the user list from AD (people who would / did have access), then write code to send an Email to all the users. I would state what was happening, why, and at the bottom of the message I would put my name and phone number. I would have my code send the Email one person at a time from an account that does not exist. SMTP tricks.

This way, when the people who don't read the message and feel the need to reply immediately with "What is this? Why did I get this?", they get a return message saying the message cannot be delivered. If they read through it and still reply it to me, I'm happy to help.

This avoids "that user". You know them - the one who does a reply all telling everyone not to do a reply all...

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I appreciate the need for an upgrade. This time, as mentioned, it appears to me to be more device-sensitive. On my IPad (7th gen.) I’m now having to post a reply without being asked if I want an email notification. It’s the default. So now I have to post, and refresh the page, Unwatch, and then when I select Watch on the same thread, then I see the option to get email notification, or not. Too many steps.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hey, who are you calling non-paying? Here's my complaint: WTH is a "Profile Post"? Is this a FB thing? What, now we have to two different places to see what people are talking about? Why, for goodness sake, why? Have young people taken this thing over? Please make it stop!

Not to quibble, but are you referring to essentially buying raffle tickets hoping to win guitars?
(or vestiges of helping Paul back in the old days?)
Isn't that like the cost of a newspaper subscription covering shipping, while the cost of running the paper is actually covered by advertising?
I see the titles and being a supporting member is a nice touch, but I doubt it "pays the costs" of running this place?
We all "pay to run this place" by being volunteer reporters, photographers, editors, plus cops & crooks that provide 100% of the content!

And of course the obligatory asking for a friend!

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not to quibble, but are you referring to essentially buying raffle tickets hoping to win guitars?
(or vestiges of helping Paul back in the old days?)
Isn't that like the cost of a newspaper subscription covering shipping, while the cost of running the paper is actually covered by advertising?
I see the titles and being a supporting member is a nice touch, but I doubt it "pays the costs" of running this place?
We all "pay to run this place" by being volunteer reporters, photographers, editors, plus cops & crooks that provide 100% of the content!

And of course the obligatory asking for a friend!
Correct. We are assets, not customers. Our compensation is a decent and stable environment.

And to the Owners: By definition, this particular user group / demographic tends to be quite averse to change. It's a site dedicated to a 70 yr old guitar design, for goodness sake!

White reply box would go a long way, for me. And while I'm here, has anyone noticed the "TDPRI yellow" is no longer the same sweet yellow? It's more like Antigua burst. Baby puke. So, yeah, the white reply box, and the yellow site back please. That's all I need.

And this lamp...

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Honestly, earlier today I noticed that "hmmm, there was an update it seems." Then went back to reading and posting.
Haven't read all the gripes but I'm all good here.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
The "yellow nasal" field in reply box suggests to me that it is the equivalent of "greyed out". Prefer white, any day. So I know that I can type in there without second guessing. But since TDPRI is pretty automatic, it's the old "specifications are subject to change without prior notice" and they do/did. I certainly will post less around here.

The "yellow nasal tainted" field in the box where you can type is no different color/hue than the menu bar right above, so one can't detect the borders, and are missing where the borders lies.