This Site Is Becoming Very Hard To Navigate

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The "Change width" button:

Maybe it was already noted earlier in the thread, but down at the very bottom of the page, over on the left just above the "About Us", is a small click that says, "Change width". That will restore the site to the full window and eliminate the awful mustard brown boundaries on the side. It makes the site much more like the previous site IMO.

Great catch. That made a better site even better!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I would imagine that the Venn diagram containing circles for those who prefer a 70 year old guitar design and those who dislike change is more overlap than not.

tdpri_logo_wear_shirt.jpg

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
That all the so-called sister sites look practically the same as each-other & TDPRI, except for slight variations, such as colour, is horrid.
Removal of all characteristic individuality to favour a "one site concept to rule them all" is quite an arrogant insult from a brainless business minded "function first" group of insensitive, anti-artistic, dictators

Well............that's the way I feel about it.

Others claim it is progress..........keeping up with the times.........this may sadly be the case, but if that is so, the future looks bleak.

I speak from experience, having managed, admin'd, and mod'd multiple forums and e-commerce sites simultaneously, including a huge one with 360,000 members.

Each site requires management, development, and maintenance = time = people = money. Time, people, and money are constraints unless we decide to fund more of them through dues, fees, advertising, etc.

The closer one can get to keeping sites uniform, the closer one can get to:

- Consistent configuration across sites
- Consistent code across sites

If things are consistent, if there's a problem with site A, it can be readily fixed across all sites. If a feature is to be added or changed, it can be readily added or changed the same way across all sites. A common configuration can be used across all sites. Maintainence can be performed the same way across all sites.

Sites gain stability and that improves functionality and user experience.

We use software, together, to converse, get information, and buy. That has practical and rational constraints that aren't addressed by your statements:

"That all the so-called sister sites look practically the same as each-other & TDPRI, except for slight variations, such as colour, is horrid. Removal of all characteristic individuality to favour a "one site concept to rule them all" is quite an arrogant insult from a brainless business minded "function first" group of insensitive, anti-artistic, dictators"

If you believe that forums should run on emotion, art, and no money constraints, you should run your own 10 forums simultaneously so we can see if that basis is beneficial. There are sites that offer free hosting of forums. Here are some beginner-level how-tos:

You'll find that people management will eventually become challenging, with the occasional member going off on a negative rant.

Last edited:

jbmando

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Why do some people act like change is always good? As if just because something has been changed, it's been improved and we are all now going to "move forward" in a buoyant march into the future. To that I say: Who remembers "new Coke"?

Anyway, my only real gripe is that the font size appears to have decreased. It looks "cleaner" I guess, but dagnabbit, it's smaller.
I checked the zoom button in my URL bar, and the size had become 90%. On 100, it looks better, but usually set mine to 110%. At 110%, it looks about the same as ever.

Last edited:

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
When trying to insert an image, the drop image from another web page did not work for me. And the 'Click Here' opens a File Upload dialog. How do I point this thing to a URL of an image on another web page?

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When trying to insert an image, the drop image from another web page did not work for me. And the 'Click Here' opens a File Upload dialog. How do I point this thing to a URL of an image on another web page?

My usual M.O. is to right-click on an image and choose "copy image address". Then, here on TDPRI, I click on the "insert image" menu item, tab to "by URL" and paste (ctrl-V).

iu-lilac.gif

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Someone pointed out that if you click on the blank space just to the left of the TDPRI logo at the top of the page a secret menu pops up with all sorts of helpful things including "Your threads"

Thanks, WW. Hmmmm, I tried, but can't find the magic spot. But wait, Just under the new "what's new" button, is a "Find threads" button. Was that there before? Hmmmmm

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I speak from experience, having managed, admin'd, and mod'd multiple forums and e-commerce sites simultaneously, including a huge one with 360,000 members.

Each site requires management, development, and maintenance = time = people = money. Time, people, and money are constraints unless we decide to fund more of them through dues, fees, advertising, etc.

The closer one can get to keeping sites uniform, the closer one can get to:

- Consistent configuration across sites
- Consistent code across sites

If things are consistent, if there's a problem with site A, it can be readily fixed across all sites. If a feature is to be added or changed, it can be readily added or changed the same way across all sites. A common configuration can be used across all sites. Maintainence can be performed the same way across all sites.

Sites gain stability and that improves functionality and user experience.

We use software, together, to converse, get information, and buy. That has practical and rational constraints that aren't addressed by your statements:
I have no problems accepting the legitimacy of all your arguments. That is incorporation management logic. Doesn't mean I have to like it, or should not feel free to grumble about the big-fish dietary habits; in go all the exotic small fishes, the out come, well, less interesting...