This One Came Out With Attitude

wadeeinkauf

Tele-Afflicted
I had finished this one last year (actually two) but did not put them together. I had sprayed too heavy a coat on the neck and it needed to be stripped and re-sprayed. But I ran out of motivation. So this year while I was working on my two brotherhood builds I fixed the necks. It is a J.O.B. removing 2K urethane. Since I was unhappy with the neck pickup for my brotherhood build I removed it and installed that pickup in this build. With the Seymour Duncan Whole Lot of Humbucker in the neck and a T4 JB model in the bridge this guitar has attitude. While I cannot get those sweet tones for R&B rhythm, this guitar screams Southern Rock. The SH18 WLOH is a copy of Seymour’s early 70s London P.A.F. that he created by rewinding stock Gibson pickups. This build has the bolt on neck. I am completely converted to the set neck and the two bolt on ones that I am completing now will be the last I will ever make.

While this one looks like others I have made there are some differences. You cannot see it in the pictures, but I mixed just a bit of the bright red in the top coat. There is a subtle red hue over the amber center. It is more noticeable on the back which is knotty alder. The other difference is that the body is 1.6 inches thick. Because of the carve it is not noticeable but with chambering the weight comes in a 6.25 lbs. Really comfortable. As a point of reference a Gibson SG can be as thin as 1.25 inch. The effectiveness of a series parallel switch really depends on the pickups you have installed. On these hot humbuckers there is significant difference in tone in parallel and a lot of high frequency is gained.

Those of you that have built several know each guitar has its own thing. Small things get accidentally combined. This one with its light weight, heavy humbuckers, and red hue give it a fiery personality. It makes me smile. Often I am just glad its finished.

3/4 inch figured maple drop top on alder body.
One piece quarter sawn roasted maple neck with zero fret
Gotoh SG381 Guitar Tuners
Hipshot bridge
Seymour Duncan Pickups Neck is Whole lot of Humbucker, Bridge T4 JB
4 pole double throw mini switch that places both pickups in serial/parallel mode.
Simtec 2K urethane finish colored with trans tint stains/dye. black, bright red.
6.25 lbs

Cost of parts
Bridge $67
Tuners $40
Pickups $180
Lumber $70 (maple given to me)
Switches and other hardware $35
Total $427
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Nice man!!! Beautiful! You know, I was just thinking to myself "Hmmm.... if I ever had to strip a neck, how would I do that exactly and not screw it up?" So, you used that spray stripper to do it? How did that work out for you i.e. what was your process in working with that stuff?

wadeeinkauf

Tele-Afflicted
Nice man!!! Beautiful! You know, I was just thinking to myself "Hmmm.... if I ever had to strip a neck, how would I do that exactly and not screw it up?" So, you used that spray stripper to do it? How did that work out for you i.e. what was your process in working with that stuff?
Depends on what the finish is. If it is lacquer, you can use lacquer thinner. It will wash/rub off very easily with a clean cloth. Any of the 2 part epoxies will be tough, but this product says it will remove it. To get my 2K urethane off it took about 10 times putting it on, letting it set for 10-15 minutes and wiping it off.

wadeeinkauf

Tele-Afflicted
Another beautiful guitar, Wade.
Thank you Freeman. I have one more to put together and then that’s it unless something really special comes along. I am not that happy with the color so I’m going to add some brownish red burst. I think it will look more like what Fender calls sienna sun burst. I made this green one a few years ago. Pretty but just didn’t like green enough to justify the cost of pickup and hardware. Now, I consider the body too heavy at 4.86 lbs. That kicks the total weight to 7.86 lbs which is just too heavy.
20220512_153404.jpg 20220512_153409.jpg

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Well your worksmanship is incredible and the finishes are stunning. You've got the whole sunbursting process dialed and none of them masks the beautiful timbers underneath which is what I think a 'burst should do.

I like the green, I would certainly assemble that one too. I know what you mean about heavy guitars but I play sitting down and its easy to forget. Seven and a half pounds is in the solid LP range, I don't think that is bad.

Anyway, lovely work, thanks for sharing.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
Now, I consider the body too heavy at 4.86 lbs. That kicks the total weight to 7.86 lbs which is just too heavy.
View attachment 982581 View attachment 982582
now i don't know how thick the body is, but my fake L6 is rather thin and light but sings.
maybe route a slice of from top ore back?
every tree does not have to die not being used is my opinion, certainly not good looking wood ;-)

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
I know plenty of people who would take that green one and run like a thief 🤣. It's friggin gorgeous 😍. And 4.86 lbs heavy? I have a not fake (but stolen out the back door I suspect) L6 and it's only SLIGHTLY lighter than that, VERY unGibson like lol and I love the critter 🤣🤣🤣🤣