1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This may be a silly question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Waterbound, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I can't seem to leave well enough alone. I'm always fiddling and tweaking my guitars. Even the acoustics I'll try different bridge pins, strings and the like. I have an old beater I'm going to do a neck reset, refret and refinish. Not because it needs it so much as I want to learn how and can't resist messing around with it.
    I'm always swapping pickups, bridges and moding my electrics. Usually nothing that can't be reversed though.

2. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

My 2000 MIA am series std is fantastic. I dont have any plans to change anything on this guitar.

The only thing I MAY do, is add a 4 way switch. I dont know if thats considered changing something, I prefer "adding."

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have one I keep stock, two others I enjoy modding and experimenting with, and one partscaster, that's still "stock".

OK, I did put a 4-way into the stock one.

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like my teles a certain way- at least most of them have the following changes/mods.
    4 way switch
    Reverse control plate
    Vintage bridge plates have the front half of the lips removed

5. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

Actually my Hwy 1 is the only Fender tele I haven't modded. Changed out the tuners on my AVRI for staggered when I bent the top one on a cymbal stand. Otherwise, she's stock as the day she was born.

My Squiers, otoh, get the full rat rod treatment.

6. Divine Thinline

Divine Thinline Tele-Holic

I could also see ugly, old, rusted, bent, off, twisted, missing or unoriginal "parts" needing to be replaced too but that's what you'd only get with a used Guitar (unless a new one got damaged in the store/mail), ya know? Since I pretty much DON'T buy used or old Guitars, I haven't had any problem or need for a mod yet. I did install Tronical Tuners on my SGJ though because I like the idea of experimenting a little while keeping my Guitar in tune. Tronical Tuners also allow(ed) me the luxury of storing "custom" tunings for my SGJ which is great. It makes everything quicker & fun in general, so I'm cool with that basic mod.:cool:

7. Divine Thinline

Yeah, I'd definitely considering that to be changing something on a tele easily. Whether it's the finish, hardware (such as the bridge & tuners), electronics, pickups & pickguard, it's clearly a change for me. I'd say that changing the pickups are surely a bigger change than something like the pickguard would be though, ya know? It doesn't just have to do with cost either. Enjoy your mod though if that's what you decide to do.;)

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

LOL of course there is nothing wrong with them. There's something wrong with compulsive "modding!" It's a substitute for practicing. I should know, I never leave anything alone, I'm always "modding" this or that.

Sometimes it's sort of legit--I try a guitar, I like everything about except I know i'll want a different pickup in it. or I try it live and realize it's missing something that doesn't show up at low volume. Or i replace something that functions badly, like, say, the jack retainer on vintage teles comes loose. Maybe you decide that the hum of single coils has become too irritating.

But more often it's just messing around. It's mostly harmless except to resale value. It's educational--you can learn a lot from modding. But if your goal is simply making music, it's a waste of time. Play your stock tele proudly!

9. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

the only thing i wish to change is the pups as SCN noiseless are not that characteristic, but still its a great guitar. i got mine 10 years ago and its still 100% as it came.

10. munny

munny TDPRI Member

I have an LSL tele and I haven´t changed anything. It´s perfect.
    In my opinion, this is the greatness of teles, a simple piece of wood.

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Join a punk band and take your only guitar (in my case an originally very clean comp orange '73 Fender Mustang) on the road to every rehearsal and gig between 1983 and 1991. I guarantee you'll wear some stuff out. ;) Nobody was interested in Mustangs in general at the time, or the rare paint job. Sure wish it looked like it did when I got it in '79. :cry:

12. Divine Thinline

^ If you're a punk then that's up to you now, kiddo. Play a little longer & gain some more experience in your "ragged" punk band if you so choose to learn a little. I stick with my quality Guitars while considering a few more in the mean time. I'm better off & more experienced than to just play &/or be a punk like you, ya see? I'm more about expanding my level of playability on Guitar than to lower my style of play back to punk like you do, ya see? Have a nice day using your used gear for that if you'd like to though, kiddo. I don't mind one bit...lol!

13. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

I bought a new strat in '03, I played it "as is " for a year or two, then wanted to buy a rio grande loaded pickguard , but in the end I bought a tortoise red type pickguard to replace the white and left the pickups. It now needs a new input jack , but that's the only 2 things that will have been done.

Had my tele a year , haven't changed a Thing.

Had my PRS acoustic about a month and changed the bridge pins and tuner buttons to a cool ebony massacar wood.

That's the extent of my modding! lol. I always read and shop online and dream of new pickups and such, but never pull the trigger .

14. 20Fred11

20Fred11 TDPRI Member

To each his own but I see a lot of Craigslist ads with a price breakdown of the guitar plus all of the "upgrades" as if it's now worth the total amount spent. An original instrument would be an easier sell IMO. Personally I wouldn't tinker with an American made Fender.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Eeesh, condescending, much?

I get where both of y'all are coming from.

Used gear is often "new" and new gear is often "used" so there's no point in validating one or the other. Too much variance in either.

Modding? Mod if something you need is missing.

If your aim is to learn, find a guitar that is not and make it so again! Resurrecting horrible old beaters is the ticket to learning it all.

16. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

My AV52 has a few minor mods---compensated saddles, a Vibramate bridge plate, and the prior owner wired it modern-style. My other Tele, though, is a MIM 72 Deluxe reissue, and I haven't changed anything on it. From what I read I expected to hate the pickups, but so far they're getting the job done just fine. (I gather that a couple years ago Fender improved their wide-range humbuckers; perhaps my guitar got the new ones.) And, since I got it, I've gigged with it more than any of my other guitars. Well, I did put strap-locks on it, if that counts.

17. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

See this all the time.

A few months ago, I saw a squier CV thinline and the guy was asking 1200$ for it. It had new pots, switch, and a nut. Apparently someone actually bought it.

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Nope, I have done a mod or several to every guitar I own, Tele or otherwise

Even if the electrics stay stock, the nut gets swapped for one with a wider spacing.

Modding guitars is fun, and makes things work better.

19. Divine Thinline

Yes, if I bought a used Guitar, it could be a new purchase & piece in my arsenal. I know that. I just (have) prefer(red) buying new gear because I can be completely confident knowing that everything about it is fine & as labeled, that's all. It is better to me & anyone else at the very least knowing that there is no risk in purchasing it, ya know?

20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

c. 2011 American Standard B-Bender Nashville Telecaster.

Time spent messing around with perfectly good equipment is time wasted not playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.