THIS makes me happy I play a Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Night Prowler, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

I think the Roland Cubes are great ss amps and cover a big variety of tones. Sure they're not tube, but for some applications versatility trumps pure tube tone- I have and use both. That guy's a great player.

2. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Roland Cube 60. I bought it used a few years ago and it is a gem for clean, jazz sounds. Some folks say "sterile" tone--no man, that's the way an electric guitar sounds without any adulteration. Pound for pound, a great little amp when the old Fender tube amp is tempermental.

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Tele-Meister

I certainly won't argue with those of you that actually have owned or played through the Roland Cube 60 and like it. But to me, in that video, it doesn't sound very good (neither clean nor dirty). The audio from the video itself likely plays a part but nevertheless, its just an opinion. No need for some y'all to get your panties ina bunch if you don't agree.

When I watched the first video I was amazed by the guys playing and entertained by the facial expressions but I thought wow, he's a wizard on guitar but it sounds like garbage. And that, in turn, made me appreciate my Tele and my amp that much more. Does that make me a tone snob? To some I guess it does. So be it.

Yeah we need a kill joy/serious section here at TDPRI with a warning before you enter that reads:

Rules
    No joking around.
    Do NOT post anything unless strictly serious.
    Wipe the smile off your face before replying to posts, there's no room for humor in here.

4. GlenParrish

GlenParrish Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with those amps or the guy playing the demo. But i will ALWAYS laugh til milk shoots out my nose every time I hear a guitar shredding with the phaser cranked like occurs at about 3:35 in the first video. And I don't drink milk.

5. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

ok, so i'm not any good, and i know he had a good demo for other types of music, but c'mon...HOW could you NOT laugh your butt off at the 2nd vid?

6. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry Night Prowler, but I think you need to maybe take a look a bit closer to home regarding the "poor sense of humour". I'm also sorry that you didn't get the responses in this thread that you were hoping for when you posted it, but from your subsequent posts you obviously feel a little hurt and embarrassed.

Perhaps if you re-read your original post once more you will realise how disparaging you are towards a guy on YouTube who - in YOUR opinion - has a tone that "sucks" and is "awful".

I agree with you that you are perfectly entitled to post your opinion regarding good/bad tone etc., but I think your mistake was to go on to make personal comments about the guy who was demonstrating the amp. Folks are always going to be a little "defensive", as you put it, when others try to get a laugh at the expense of someone else.

Ask yourself "If that guy was a member here on the TDPRI, would I start a thread bemoaning his awful tone and his facial expressions?". I guessing you wouldn't.....

7. GlenParrish

GlenParrish Tele-Meister

That is hilarious. I came unglued at the footswitch demo.

8. Guitarmadcat

Guitarmadcat Banned

It's called "Entertainment", man. The "Shoegazer" era has long since passed.

9. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Now then Mr Prowler. I'm sure with your technical know how you could sit in front of a camera playing your tele into your 5e3 whatever amp and show us all how it's really done!! We'd love to hear your tone!!

10. Latebluesman

Latebluesman Tele-Meister

Ok, maybe the humor of the OP was a little like "boohoo",
    but what you ask here is unfair, IMHO.
    When someone makes a ad video, is his choice to expose himself to the public.
    The public has the right to criticize and make fun of him if feels like it.
    It is not vice versa, if I say it right.:)

11. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

What you mean "expose himself to the public" If I could make a video as good as that I 'd be very pleased. OP seems to be knocking the guy for playing into a Roland....why? The standard of playing is fine and tone is fine for an amp like that. What am I not getting here???::confused:

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

This is the internet, where everything sucks. :lol:

13. Latebluesman

The guy on the ad is funny, that's all.
    We have the right to make fun of it.
    We don't have to post a video of ourselves to prove that we are better than the guy we see. That is how "public" works. We can criticize a basketball player for example, without having to dunk and shoot 3points ourselves in the back yard, and make a video of it.
    The second video, the "parody" video, is funny too.
    It is also funny that someone spent time to make it!
    I agree that everything else on this ad was pretty nice.

14. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Despite this demo... I'm sure I would love the amp.

15. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Well there we go. "One man's meat..."etc. Hysterically funny to me = John Cleese, Ricky Gervais, Ellis James etc.

16. Latebluesman

Yes, I love these guys...:lol:...:lol:...:lol:,
    and many more, like Peter Sellers, Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Jerry Lewis...:lol:

17. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Why all the negativity? The Roland Cube 60 is a fine piece of gear and Johnny D is a very good salesperson for in the intended audience. I also suspect that he has a well-developed sense of humor about the heavy metal schtick.

And this is from a guy who usually plays an Esquire through a 5E3! :D

18. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

The OP seems to think it's fine to poke fun of people ...for playing rolands, for facial expressions which they have no control over. Yes you can poke fun at people. I came across lots of kids who used to like doing that when I was a teacher. Then there were those who chose not to make fun of others. Those seemed far more approachable IMHO.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Obviously you have a sense of humor - look where you live ! :lol:

SE Michigan, what an armpit - what the hell are we doing here ?

I digress...

Really ? You've never seen Johnny Lang ?

20. slap dat

slap dat Tele-Meister

Funny stuff. That second vid about made me pee myself.

FWIW, as amp demos go, The Alex Hutchings vid would make me seriously consider that amp if I were in the market. On the other hand, Johnny's vid ... no way. Horrible tone IMO from basically the same amp. Good playing, but very thin and lifeless tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.