This is why you always take and keep notes when recording...

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Chud, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Going through files and ran across this recording of one of the band's more popular live tunes. It's obviously not an actual live show mix, but I had it labeled as a live mix, so it's likely either a board mix from a soundcheck or rehearsal. Neither of the girls were singing backup, so I'm thinking Elbow Room or DarkStar soundcheck. It might be a pre-recording rehearsal in the studio we did the recording in, but the mics sound much crappier than anything that we would have mixed down even for a draft mix of a studio recording.

Bottom line, keep copious notes of all recordings in case you run across things 10 years later. Lol.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    telestratosonic and Jim622 like this.
  2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

true, keep notes, BUT, then you have to remember where you kept the notes and where that BOOK might actually be, 10 years from now...! :)

3. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

... or you could use MNotepad and store the info right in the DAW :) For mixdowns and other such stuff there's always Mp3Tag which allows you to add comments to the file metadata. Bloody handy free tool, I've been using it for a decade or so.

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I take photos of my amp and effects settings and put them in the project's folder on my PC.

5. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

In the Late Jurassic Period, when primitive humans had to forge sound recordings by hand out of rust... in the snow... uphill! *ahem* sorry, anyway, when we used to record on analog tapes we had "track sheets," that would go into the box with them. They would list not only what was on each track, (guitar, vocals, etc.) but often times what mics were used, preamp & compressor settings and such. I wonder if somebody's made an app for that.

6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Label them well and transfer them when storage mediums become obsolete. I’ve been looking for multi tracks of some originals songs I recorded 25 yrs ago. Haven’t found them on CD, but I found them on a ZIP drive cartridge. I can probable pay someone to transfer them. Somewhere back there I had a four track that recorded to a cassette.

SSL9000J likes this.
  7. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nowadays you can just save and name specific settings and "scenes". That helps as long as you're not changing up your DAW program I guess.

I like to take physical notes.

8. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Somebody, somewhere, has a warehouse full of Zip drives, Jaz drives, Tascam 4-tracks, VS-880s, DA-88s, ADATs, and probably VCRs and VHS tapes too. Whomever it is, they shall be wealthy someday.

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

An Audacity file export shows metadata on a Wav file that might be useful. It contains: Artist Name; Track Title; Album Title; Track Number; Year; Genre, Comments. I haven’t looked for metadata on a DAW edit or export.

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

If you are saving to CD-Rs, notes on paper will outlast the CD-R. They have a shelf live that depends on the CD burner quality and the CD-R quality (did you but those bargain CD-Rs?).

11. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

There's a couple vst out there which you can put on individual tracks. VSTnotepad is one.

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.