This is why I hate Stew Mac...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Purveyors of expensive solutions to problems that don't exist.

nutball73, gkterry and rolandson like this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was with you until the end. I would *never* send back Sparkle Red anything!

:D

Might be time to haul out the old avatar...

telemnemonics and wulfenganck like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

It's not Stewmac I have a beef about, it's the postal costs. A lot of their "tools" can be bought from hardware stores and many of their products are very expensive.
    Their acoustic guitar kits are excellent value, and, if you take it slowly and add a bit more than is in the pdf files, you can build a very nice guitar.
    They even sent me sides and two end blocks when an acoustic "swelled" to 21' instead of the standard 20" dreadnought body. Good service and NO charge to me.
    It's USPS I have a problem with.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Now , here in Oz, I sent a fellow TDPRI member some GFS rail pickups as a give away. He paid Australia Post and that was way under $20 USD for carefully bubble wrapped and Auspost box. There was actually about a 1/2 lb. in weight.

5. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

"Marginally landfill ready"... Love it!! I just returned two switches to Amazon that were supposedly direct replacements for the Les Paul on-on-on pickup selection switch. They were really low quality, and just didn't feel solid. Only good thing is Amazon makes returns really easy. Walk in a UPS Store with the return, they scan the barcode from your phone, and that's it. No box, no packing, no label.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

GFS sucks for overseas shipments.

Stewart McDonald is fine though, their shipping is not so high plus you get a catalog in the mail a couple of times a year.

On Reverb I've seen guitars from the US with shipping ranging from around 130-140 to 930-940 in Euros for a single guitar. And the pedal shipping is just as weird, can go from 9 to 50 Euros European shipping, to only 25 Euros from the US, although rarely above 35 Euros for a pedal from the US to Europe.

7. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

The Stew Mac catalog is great inspiration for making your own guitar building gadgets.

8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

A well-known amp tech told me years ago the downside to being in the musical equipment business is that musicians are generally pretty cheap. He quoted his wife as saying harp players are the worst closely followed by guitarists. I suspect some dealers and techs keep their prices high just to weed out dealing with the cheapskates. We always did that in the cabinet and furniture biz, just avoided the middle-class neighborhoods. Sorry, wrong zip code we don't work in that area. I've been doing business with Stew-mac since the days of only printed catalogs, I'm grateful that they exist and willing to support them.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Stewmac’s shipping costs are a bummer.
    I bailed from checkout a few weeks ago when i saw the shipping.

rolandson likes this.
  10. 440mhz

440mhz TDPRI Member

I refuse to buy anything from StewMac anymore, the last two shipments came in over 4 weeks later, I checked the postage marks and they were sent to Sweden first, then to Canada.Should I send them an email telling them where Canada is?

brookdalebill and rolandson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.