1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This is what happens when you listen with your ears instead of your eyes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 12, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

As successful as Tim is, I'm sure he can afford any guitar he wants. I'll leave it at that.

Ok I couldn't quite leave it at that, lol. I can't wait for all the internet experts to tell me he's wrong, and why. This is gonna be really amusing. Get the popcorn ready.

2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

He has a great video on that 335 in the video. I've played literally 1000's of vintage guitars with huge price tags, most of them, I wasn't impressed with. I'm spoiled, I live in a place where vintage guitars are very easy to find/demo.

northernguitar and DougM like this.
  3. DougM

I haven't played a lot of vintage Gibsons, but I have played a lot of vintage Strats, and not a single one sounded or played any better, IMO, than a really good new American made one. Martins are a different story though.

4. Stanford Guitar

Yeah Martins are an exception. But....there are some really, really good acoustic guitars being built today. In the classical world, the best guitars ever built are being built as we speak.

5. Stanford Guitar

This is my LP killer. The minute I picked this one up, I had to have it. I didn't even look at the price, I just bought it. Used, 2006 EB Silhouette 25th Anniversary model. Will put it up against ANY vintage LP. I have it set up the way I like it, relief/neck angle, etc. It's the best playing and sounding solid body humbucker guitar I have ever played.

0604201E-52DF-44B8-87FC-1A3EC88A9C32_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. Stanford Guitar

Here's that 335 video.

DougM likes this.
  7. DougM

Really? Better than a Ramirez or Fleta?

8. Stanford Guitar

Yeah, the generation that followed Greg Smallman into lattice bracing are making some truly extraordinary instruments.

9. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well . . . the GAS was under control.

tintag27 and SRHmusic like this.
  10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

SHHHHHHHH.......... you're ruining everything!

Deathray likes this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Acoustics are a different story, though. Electrics and acoustics are absolutely apples and oranges as far as “aging” is concerned. Re: electrics, I’m sure a modern PRS is objectively every bit as good a tool for the job as a vintage LP. A guitar isn’t better just because it’s old, but my personal preferences dictate that of two equal guitars, I’d rather play the old one. Maybe that’s just me, but I don’t think so. If you’re a working professional, there’s probably no reason to play the old one unless you just really really want to.

Skydog1010 and Stanford Guitar like this.
  12. Stanford Guitar

Fast forward to the part where he explains lattice bracing and it's evolution from old style fan bracing.

13. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve only ever really played one vintage strat, a ‘64 veneer board, and none of the ethereal qualities of subtlety and nuance i’d been led to expect appeared. Turn everything up to 11 and it absolutely ripped.

I’ve only ever really played one vintage acoustic, a late 60s/early 70s Yamaha that the owner had bought new, and it weighed about 4.5 pounds and really projected and rang in a way my modern Takamine doesn’t quite match. I’ve written that off to being so thoroughly dried out.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I think guitars are made by ears, preference, and taste. It's not technology, it's a plank of wood.
    The old guitars that are sought after were made by people with a very different listening history than anyone today, for a completely different type of musician. I think that kind of music gave them an advantage over rock players and listeners today. I think rock preferences make less dynamic instruments, and that's why I find most new guitars so disappointing.

I don't like les pauls or prs, but I have to believe that guitar makers today who make guitars for guys who sound like this video, are at a distinct disadvantage to McCarty's team of developers, players and ears back in the 50s.

buster poser likes this.
  15. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I have found a few things that I believe. 1 I like early to mid 60's Gibson necks, both the small thin ones and the also the thick ones. All of the reissue guitars don't have those necks on them and since most players have never played one they don't know the difference. 2 Most players probably wouldn't even like the original ones-there is a reason Gibson makes reissue necks the way they do and that's to sell more guitars not to be accurate. I don't think my vintage guitar sounds better than someone's new guitar but it feels better in my hands. 3 A real Broadcaster sounds better, you can never convince me otherwise, although generally I believe there are new guitars that can sound just as good as vintage just not that one. 4 Brazilian rosewood sounds better on acoustics but I would be hard pressed to tell the difference listening to it on electric.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of folks rag on PRS guitars but all of the ones I've owned are great players and sound very good.
    I've owned some vintage guitars ( some back when they were just "used" guitars") and some are special , old wood is great, but many of the vintage guitars do have issues.
    I think for some folks it's just a holy grail to chase.
    Like Tim said it can be a real rabbit hunt to find a special one and prices are pretty crazy now.
    Plus when I did own some I would worry about taking them out.

My newish Fender American Performer Strat plays better than most of the vintage models I owned years ago stays tuned better, feels better.

I'm pretty impressed with a lot of new guitars even cheap ones. Unless I run across a great deal, I'll leave the vintage models for the collectors.

And of course Tim would sound great no matter what he plays, a lot of it is the player.

DougM likes this.
  17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

duplicate

18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

wow. he sounded amazing even through all that Youtube processing!

if I can have that tone direct to PA, I'll be set! LOL

DougM likes this.
  19. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The sceptical side of me wonders what post-production eq was done.

20. DougM

Tim has played on hundreds of sessions (if not thousands), covering every conceivable style, so your premise is senseless, illogical, and irrational. But, keep drinking the kool-aid if it makes you happy. Far from me to be the one to burst your bubble.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.