This is what depresses me about guitars these days

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, Jul 8, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

the difference between someone who plays well in their bedroom, and someone who plays well on stage is mostly promotion. These vids are promotion, look we are discussing them. Apparently effective, though I've never watched it or have any desire to...

2. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I remember Ronnie Earl talking about his Strats in Guitar Player back in the 80's. He said he was so not into the technical side of things, he couldn't tell you anything about the guitars, except that they'd all been refinished. He said that people say things like, "Well, that's not the original pickguard" or "It's been refinished". And he said, "Great, I don't care!".

Ripradiant, Durtdog and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  3. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that they can't figure out how to hook up or use a delay pedal?

MilwMark likes this.
  4. cyclopean

how do i make my guitar sound like an hm-2 through a flanger with an octave down pedal with my hands?

beyer160 and MilwMark like this.
  5. cyclopean

what if watching pedal videos helps you figure out what you need to realize the sound in your head?

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  6. cyclopean

because that's his process. which is fine if that's what you want to sound like. that's not what i want.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Only if you sign up for my FREE!!! email course where I'll teach you all my money making secrets (while selling you deals on products I get a cut of) !!!

Sadly, I just didn't have the lack of scruples to get into email list marketing. Maybe as I get older and need GAS money I'll get over it.

8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

no problem there - Billy does a lot of work with Brian, I think. The thing is - no matter what they are both up to these days - in the days when they were creating waves and shaking up the music world, they weren't worrying about the finest details of perfect fret-work. They were just rocking their stuff on whichever Gretsch they could get their impoverished hands on.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You said it. There's a rig rundown by Buddy Miller. He found the guitar he is most recognized for at a pawn shop. It was listed at $80 or something and he left, scraped together $50 and came back and bought it. He makes great sounds. Not good. Great. He loved that Italian off brand pawn shop guitar so much he spent the next year scraping together $200 to buy the other 4 that the pawn shop had. One was too high on the wall and the store owner said it wasn't worth the $50 to go get it, but he sold him the other 3 for $50 each. Tone wood. Nope. Boutique pickups. Nope. It's just not as hard to make great sounds as people seem to think.

jhundt likes this.
  10. jhundt

that is indeed going to be a problem! Does the Plek machine play a role in this scenario?

I'm trying to imagine that sound. Is an HM-2 a pedal like the HM pedal I have?

I guess there are all kinds of worlds for guitar players. Almost everyone I meet these days - no matter how young or old they are, or what kind of music they play - won't leave home without a pedalboard.

11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Seems like a good time to link this outtake. He had liver cancer by the time this was filmed. I never knew Jean Genie was done with EHX Freedom Amps:

Telecaster88 and jhundt like this.
  12. jhundt

I love that guy! "just plug in, and turn the amp up...!"

I missed a part where he mentioned the EHX amp. Did you hear that somewhere else?

13. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

He talks about using some little tiny amps at 1:29. The poster of the video wrote that the amps he is talking about are EHX Freedom Amps which makes sense. They sound like distorted solid state amps whatever the case. He also posted this clip of Jean Genie which blew my mind yesterday. These were rarely done live-maybe you have seen it:

What depresses me about the current state of guitar is most players started caring more about gear than how to write a memorable riff or song.

Ripradiant and jhundt like this.
  14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my plekie is killer...handled leads & chords very well today in SGfam (3).jpg the studio

Mike SS and Sean Mac like this.
  15. cyclopean

depends on what i'm doing - i could see playing hardcore punk with just a guitar with high gain pickups into a high gain amp, or i could see doing country/garage/surf on an amp with a great clean sound and a great reverb. but there's a reason i shoot more in color than in black and white these days.

jhundt likes this.
  16. cyclopean

the hm-2 is the boss heavy metal pedal, also known as the swedish chainsaw.

17. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I’m glad I have no idea what to “plek” a guitar is. It sounds like a geek word just guitar nerds and youtube “experts” would use.

18. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It's just a machine.

http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

:)

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Nothing depresses me about my favourite pass time....nothing!!!

20. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

The right tool for the job is any of them.
    It worked for those who pioneered the sounds you probably seek to emulate. But it's not in the tool... its in the hand@

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.