This is what depresses me about guitars these days

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, Jul 8, 2019.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I watched a YouTube video last night about some online guy who got a free Les Paul. He picked it up at the Gibson factory and got a tour, etc....

You would think the guy would have been thrilled and ran home and plugged that guitar in. Nope, instead he took it to some guitar store where they spent the whole day putting it through the Plek machine and looking at a computer model of the fretboard so they could critique the guitar (which IMHO was pretty darn good for having been taken out of the factory). The nut was cut high (as I would expect from a factory guitar) and so that was a problem of sorts.

The video ended with the guy playing some lame, boring, cliched guitar. Do people even care about guitar playing anymore or is it just about looking for the perfect factory instrument and lame gear demos (example - play something like Suzie Q then throw in 10000 extra notes at the end or out of tune blo0ze bends)?

I don't want to name the guy or video because I'm being critical but jeeze, just be happy cut the slots a little and play the thing and enjoy it. Who cares what some hospital looking machine says about it (disclaimer - I have a few Gibson guitars that were pleked at factory).

I guess in some way this kind of stuff is good for economy as people buy mountains of stuff they don't need or actually use for anything aside from pictures on the internet but I for one find it wicked depressing.

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

The whole trend of agonizing over the weight of your guitar (not for ergonomic reasons, but for "tone" or "resonance" or whatever) has always struck me this way. Its like people base their enjoyment on knowing their guitar meets a certain set of measurements the internet gave them rather than based on their own subjective experience of the guitar itself.

I think this extends to many other things in life. For instance, I am convinced that the majority of the population has no practical functional sense of taste. Most people seem to base the majority of their impression of a gastronomic experience on appearance of a food item and the setting/other people's group reactions rather than actually being able to judge flavor on its own merits. This generalized lack of "taste" seems to extend to most things for most people, who seem to need others to help them decide what they think.

We all have this tendency in some areas of our lives of course, but most people seem to be unaware of it and don't make enough effort to try to learn to set their own expectations and judge things for themselves.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    matrix, Skydog1010, djh22 and 10 others like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think this is a fine example of technology gone amuck. As if Plexing is gonna help anyone play their guitar better.:rolleyes: I know a good local guitar player that had a neck on his old Danelectro really twist. He cut a string and tuned it to become a 5 string baritone guitar and can play the snot out of it. Way cool sounding and could easily become his new signature sound.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I saw that video. I think it was a promo for that high end, snooty, guitar store located in one of the most affluent areas in the Atlanta metro area. The guy in question is a good pro guitar player and does a lot of endorsements and paid videos. I guess that's how he pays the bills

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I might add that much (most?) of the finest guitar-playing in the pop, rock, blues, and country genres has probably been played on guitars that would never be considered satisfactory by these kinda guys.

6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I feel your pain. I have always been amazed by the number of people I meet who spend mountains of money on nice equipment and can't play worth a crap. To them it's about possession, and the "look at me" aspect of music. Several years back I was invited to the home of a gentleman who claimed he was a "guitarist". I was enjoying my newly acquired Squier 51 at the time, so I brought this as my axe of choice. He led me to his basement which was all set up like a studio with a couple of Marshall 1/2 stacks and a rack of nice guitars that included Gibson, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, well you name it. I plugged my '51 straight in to one of the Marshalls, and he selected a G&L Comanche running through a huge effects processor. After playing for a few minutes he stopped to gush over my playing and the sound of my guitar "how great it was". I was cordial and polite and really wanted to say "your's sounds like total BLEEEEH! but held my tongue. His sound was so over-processed it was no longer recognizable as a guitar. It could have been an accordion and no one would know. He had lots of money to spend on toys, but no real talent to play them. The worst part is there are lots of guys like him that start bar bands and get gigs around here, because they are willing to work cheap.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I saw the video. I, too, was surprised to see that a brand new Gibson was being Plekked. After all, iirc all new proper Gibson’s are Plekked before they leave anyway? Just as you indicated, the condition of the factory setup was near perfect. Certainly it would have been perfectly fine and playable as is.

I find the whole idea of Plek totally unnecessary. If you have a competent tech, they can and will get your guitar to play as it should for half of what a Plek job costs, and with less hassle and time lost too. (Unless you happen to live near a Plek machine, which I don’t.)

bender66 and drlucky like this.
  8. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

What's really funny is the other side of that coin.

I've seen interviews of great guitarists that I really love and the interviewer asks, "Whats the body of your guitar made of?" and the guy says something like, "I dunno...some sort of wood, I think."

9. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Sounds to me like you're depressed about guitar players not guitar itself.

I know who you're talking about and have considered contacting him about his rather sh*tting attitude regarding the gigs that he gets. They're either "the worst", "the craziest" or "total chaos" as if there's no chance any of the people he's working with won't see his videos. Maybe they won't care about his opinion about the gigs they've done together but, if I was looking for someone for my gig and they had all these click-bait titles for their videos, I doubt I'd give him the time of day. Nobody cares about your opinion but they do care about your attitude and the impression I've gotten from this guy is that he's a bit of whiner. He's not a bad guitar player but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

Hammerdog and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

People who youtube for income do silly things. My favorite youtubers do not monetize their videos, these are few and far in between, it's hard to weed out the hawkers and shills...

IrishTeleDan and hemingway like this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

At least to me the video seemed more complimentary of Gibson than anything. I think the guy who ran the Plek diagnostic said something along the lines of "I'm impressed, great job Gibson."

IrishTeleDan and Skydog1010 like this.
  12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I had already learned how to play before I knew anything about guitars. I had crap guitars but took all the responsibility for sounding bad. I was probably in my thirties before I obtained a half decent guitar and things got easier. I didn't know any better and just thought that was part of the learning process.
    If someone had given me a 14 lb Norlin era les paul with half the frets missing, I would have been thrilled to have it.
    I hope I haven't become a cork sniffer...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

A ~$2799 guitar given for free is cheap advertising, especially if the person have a certain amount of “followers”. That’s pocket change to actual advertising costs.

I believe the YouTube Algorithm forces YouTubers to create videos that are recommended as that would most likely bring in viewers.

Now does the quality and content of those videos created suffer? Probably..

14. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

I think you missed the whole point of that video. I actually watch his channel and the man is a true gigging musician who plays a certain brand of guitar. He has been very vocal in the past about Gibson and their quality control, and that video got very popular. So Gibson gave him a guitar and said "look how good our QC is now" and he went and put a machine to it rather than just posting a video saying "yeah man this thing plays great." Now there's scientific evidence the guitar played great from the factory and the whole video was more interesting than some guy in a room congratulating Gibson.

He won't be running home thrilled to play it because he has nicer guitars than Gibson makes; this was a PR stunt by Gibson.

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Weird.

Hammerhead likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The most legendary guitarists who have ever walked the face of the Earth didn't care about the silly crap that we care about now in guitar forums. "Oh dear, that amp has a MOSFET in it! Oh no, that's a new production EL84 and not NOS!! Oh my goodness, that's not nitrocellulose! Holy crap, I would never let my fingers touch a pau ferro fretboard!!! Not true bypass? Crap pedal!"

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

TRUE! Mick Ronson, one of my early favorites, impressed me in an interview with the long-gone Beat Instrumental. They asked about guitars.. he knew his was an LP. They asked about amps, he said something like "oh I don't know. What ever they have there in the studio..."

matrix, Skydog1010, hemingway and 3 others like this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Pick it up and play it. If it ain't right, fix it. If you still hate it, you have the wrong guitar.

G.Rotten, Twelvefrets, djh22 and 7 others like this.
  19. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

On the other hand of the spectrum, I've seen so many players not knowing what a proper setup on an instrument is, selling or not enjoying a guitar that could be great with only a trip to a good tech. It only takes one bad fret to ruin the playability of a guitar, or a badly cut nut..

20. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Huh, I'm pretty sure Gibson pleks their quality stuff at the factory, it would be interesting to see how well that translates.

Skydog1010, Vincent7344 and jvin248 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.