This Is What a Good Country Rock Concert Soundedl Like In 1977

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jul 16, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Reminds me of listening to the AM radio in my older sister's car.

Good memories.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. Slimster22

Slimster22 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Man, this thread is the first thing I clicked on today musically. What a perfect start. This is the music of my soul. Born in 71, but my older brothers were my heros and this is what my feeble little mind was fed from birth. I felt like I was gonna play guitar since I was a kid before I ever had the discipline to practice and learn. Eventually I did, and guess what songs are the most effortless and enjoyable for me to play when I cover someone else? I'm in Maryland and I think we are the only band who ever plays the Outlaws anymore. Of course I don't get out much to see others like I used to. It helps that he other guitar player/singer in our band is one of those brothers and my drummer has known me since I was 1 year old. Thanks for starting this thread and all the subsequent posts.

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I would love to go back to 1977, but for punk, skateboarding and the first time I picked up a guitar. Good luck to you guys that love country music though, and sorry for the derail there.

4. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Sitting here at camp at Small Point up on the rocky coast of Maine. Having my first sip of coffee, smelling the salty breeze and I see an email notification from the TDPRI. Thought, lets check in and see what’s happening with my old friends. The first post I read was this one from Getbent. Now there is an old friend still on here and a hearty hello to you!
    As I read the post which I have to say is about none other than one of my all time favorite bands ever
    ‘The Aces” I was glad to see the adoration and shocked to find out the man with that unique and glorious voice has left us and passed on.
    R.I.P. Russell Smith and thank you so very much for the many years of great music and memories. I feel like an uncle has passed away or a significant family member.

I can’t tell you how many times I have played “The End Is Not In Sight” it has to be thousands.

My Mother used to have one of those big ol’ console stereo systems that was more like a fancy piece of furniture then it was a bonafide stereo.
    I remember coming home from high school one day and that song was wailing from the console stereo! My mother had it cranked to the limit and them 10 inch speakers with magnets the size of a milk bottle cap were red hot and ready to explode!
    But hell that guitar solo made me stop and listen and think, damn, I need to sit down and learn this one.
    Well, I did and it has stayed with me like a trusty old friend. Like a favorite fishing spot where you know if you bait the audience with that song you will hook em.
    I opened every show that I played for the next 40 years with that song and it always worked. My audience got so used to it that the ones who didn’t know who the Ace’s were thought it was an original. I always explained who wrote the song and how absolutely great that album was.
    To many people, like myself, who first heard “Too Stuffed to Jump” it stayed with us all of these years and is still an all time favorite.
    It is flattering to think that some of you would post my video attempting to pay tribute to such a fantastic band as the Aces!
    I never thought the day would come that it would find itself displayed in a post about “Russell Smith” passing away.

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Rest In Peace, Russell.

6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Nice to hear from you, Arlo!

Arlo, getbent and Paul in Colorado like this.
  7. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great stuff!

I have a lot of musical roots in this (ABB, MTB, etc)

I remember seeing multi group outdoor concerts for like $5 back in the 70's. Elvin Bishop, Pure Prairie League, etc.

Great memories, and I will always have a soft spot in my heart (and set list!) for this style.

Cheers,
    Doug

getbent likes this.
  8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Marshall Tucker on the top of my heap.

Chooglin59, howardlo and getbent like this.
  9. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Oh man, I was instantly hooked way back when I first heard the Aces, and still love their groove today. For me, they Hit The Nail Right On The Head. Another group I got to see that opened me up to country music was Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, with Bill Kirchen. Good times, brothers.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d like to back to 77, too.
    My folks were alive, I had a stunning girlfriend, a head full of hair, and a mouth full of teeth.
    I had gigs and great friends too!
    Really!
    I still have many of the same friends.
    I was 20 in 1977.
    Was I ever really 20?

Fendereedo and getbent like this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a DJ, Grateful/Big Steve at our Community Radio Station who does an all vinyl show on Friday mornings. Besides opening each hour with The Grateful Dead, he always plays a Russel Smith song at some point during his show. He's going to be broken hearted.

12. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Butch Davis is wearing a Peaches Records & Tapes tee shirt. Awesome.

I was 15 when that show came on in 1977. It had a lasting effect on me. It still does. That's the year I got my first guitar and started taking lessons. I was playing alto sax in jr high band at the time, so I could read music already.

I sat at a bar and talked to Russell Smith for quite a while after a show some years back, maybe 10ish years or so ago. I remember it was after Barry Burton passed away, because Russell Smith told me a lot about him. It may even have been right after Barry Burton passed away. I was like a kid meeting his hero. I will never forget it. RIP.

13. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

JL_LI and Durtdog like this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Arlo! So great to see you! My favorite version of this song is yours! Like you, I've played the sucker at the end of sets and just watched the minutes tick to break!

Great to see you!

Arlo likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Hi Arlo,

If you happen to read this, could you tell us what Tele you were playing in the video. At the end you present the guitar, and I was never sure if you were making the statement, see, you can play this song with a Tele, or if the Tele itself had some special significance. A great song that just lives on!

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

or 74

17. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Paul in Colorado. Thanks for this. I'm down the road from you in Longmont and just tuned into this program. Love the Aces by the way and was sorry to see Russell Smith gone. ARA's, MTB and ABB got me through my college years.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Perhaps slightly off topic, but I remember Russell Smith was once known as H. Russell Smith.
    Or am I hallucinating (again)?
    Regardless, he was great, and I miss him already.

19. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

You are not hallucinating. H. R. Smith on the album "Stacked Deck"

JL_LI likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was 11 then.

The first live band I ever saw was some boys from down over the hill who played Skynyrd and Allman Brothers in the school gym, and did it well.

Hooked on southern music ever since, married a southern girl, first job in the south, etc.

And still listening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.