1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This is out of my price range, but I would love to have it.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Stefanovich, Sep 28, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that the provenance that often comes with a vintage instrument is part of the value of it. I love hearing the history of the instrument. This guitar seems to be a bit lacking in that department, so for its price it better be exceptional in other areas.

SuprHtr and goonie like this.
  2. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

So good. I was born I Compton as well.

3. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Yeah way way too fishy, and this is a great example of a guitar I would LOVE to buy if I could be sure if it was real, but without real paperwork and provenance, I could never believe it.

Never heard of this store, and I'm sure they're legit and great, but the vintage place nearest to me magically has twenty or more '50s Strats and Teles every year, and I just couldn't pull the trigger anymore without amazing proof.

SuprHtr likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You could have one almost identical to it custom built for less than a quarter of that price. And that's paying top dollar. Sourcing the parts yourself, you could probably build one (or have it built) for well under $2000...under $1000 if you're super resourceful. And that's including the relicing and aged parts. But...your money.

5. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Peltogyne likes this.
  6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

If I had the money for something like that, I would really have to go play it and verify it was what I wanted before I’d lay cash out on that. I can get a truly custom guitar for half that amount, or like 4-5 Custom Shop, Anderson, Suhr et. al. guitars for that price. It would have to be spectacular for me to get it.

7. mightysteve

mightysteve TDPRI Member

I'll say this: the people at Bernunzio may be wrong about the mods being factory mods (why this matters, I'm not sure), but they're great, straight-up people to deal with, and generally charge fair prices on par with true market value. (Unlike, e.g., Retrofret, a great store which routinely advertises guitars at 20-30% over market value.)

And for those criticizing the demo, give the guy a break. He's playing at "store volume", meaning low volume and no compression from either the amp or any pedals. At least it's an authentic representation of the guitar's sound. (The worst at this are "boutique" pickup manufacturers who post clips of people playing their scatter-wound masterpieces through a Tubescreamer, recorded into an iPhone in a room with questionable acoustics.)

Rant over. Try Bernunzio. You'll probably like them.

8. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

The sound of the bridge pickup doesn’t sound like any Tele single coil I’ve ever heard. This particular guitar has been on their site for somewhere near a year, maybe more. That’s rather telling.

9. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

I don’t think it’s way overpriced as some do. I don’t actually know what the actual worth is because prices for vintage Teles and Strats are all over the place. I’d love to have it, but it’s definitely in players/collector territory. My buddy has a 53 Tele that’s been stripped and lacquered (back in the 60s), but no routings or anything. I don’t have a clue what it’s worth other than 8 years ago he said he’d sell for a cool 10k. The guitar sounds great, but so do my Teles, and he still plays it out rarely. There’s a lot of disparity when it comes to actual value, so I guess it’s worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. It’s a gorgeous Tele and I love the bound bodies, but my favorite would be a 60 something blonde with a well played maple fretboard.

10. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

It matters because there's a big price difference between a modded guitar and a factory guitar, is that not obvious? If it did not matter, the store would not make any deal about their theories that it's all factory stock.

The people on here saying stuff like "Well you could build that guitar for $1000" or whatever - I don't get it, do people not understand how vintage works, and supply and demand, etc?!? Things that are old and are rare cost more because they are old and rare lol, how do not literally of 100% of people in here get this?

A legit, factory stock 59 Tele is worth much more than a modded guitar that was painted one color, routed, then decades later refinished and converted to "stock", what is weird about that?

Everyone is so overly diplomatic on this board with this stuff - sorry but the people who work at the store might be SUPER NICE, GREAT, just amazingly SWEET people, but this guitar is fishy as hell.

I don't know if anyone mentioned the fact that the supposed very lightly worn "original" frets don't match the amount of wear on the body.

The rout issue is so weird - like for the store to say "Oh you know what... that's probably because Leo Fender was cheap" is laughable! 0.1% chance this was some SUPER SPECIAL model they tested pickups on, and 99.9% someone did a massive hatchet job on it at some point in the past - which A MILLION PEOPLE HAVE DONE.

And the part about taping it up to apply maroon paint under the pickguard - I literally don't even know what they're talking about here, it confuses me, like what?? Someone explain that.

Guitar is insanely fishy.

Crashbelt and SuprHtr like this.
  11. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Lando...
    We're the same age. Actually, hording is kinda fun. You have GIRLS??? Coool!

heheh

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I was starting out, that would have been an old, used guitar that few people would have wanted and probably would have traded even for a Cadillac hubcap.

13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar, but my wife would insist on a sanity check for me and the Big "D".

14. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

BS !! to "when a factory would do anything to keep costs down and fill orders, we theorize that this body was first routed to be utilized in the prototyping of pickups, then was plugged, and finally was taped up to have maroon paint applied to mask Fender factory modifications;"

A Telecaster "Custom" (double bound body) would have been a premier model of the line and would NEVER have been made out of a "prototypes" left-over body! Yes Leo was a "penny pincher" (example: making Tolex Champs with left-over Tweed Champ boxes and electrical chassis all the way into 1961!) but this claim is PURE BS!!

The FACT that it's got a replacement pick guard and the enigmatic "routing" that is not normal (and conveniently NOT SHOWN) tells me this Tele was modified by someone and then attempted to be returned to original configuration. I've seen hundreds of this situation with guitars sent back to Fender and requested to be "restored" and also at my shop over the decades. And there are thousands of 52 through 59's with original pick guards that are just in fine condition.

"Was: $22500.00
    Now Only: $16000.00" ... yeah right, buyers are figuring this out too, the claim is BS.

15. irie

irie Tele-Holic

By no means am I knocking the guys playing, but I don't think this guitar sounds all that amazing.

16. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

god i wish i was rich...

17. twangdude

twangdude TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.