1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This is out of my price range, but I would love to have it.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Stefanovich, Sep 28, 2020.

1. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

Yeah, if that rout is factory I’ll cover the guitar with BBQ sauce and eat it. But it’s not structural and doesn't effect playability, so as long as the price is adjusted and the buyer has eyes wide open, no big deal.

2. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm a beginner who buys really cheap guitars. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's great. Is the neck dating excuse legitimate? Between that and the inconclusive route story, I'm less than excited. Now, if it really is a great guitar to play, the cost may be justified, but only because it's old.

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

check nope in that block.PNG

4. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

That price is ridiculous for something that ain't vintage original.

5. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

May well be a nice player's guitar - looks nice enough too - but I wouldn't pay half what they're asking (and I see it's already down from around 22K) with that routing. I doubt they could prove it's original and I reckon they're hoping for a sucker at that price. I wouldn't be surprised if it quietly sells for significantly lower than what they're asking.

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

All told, that is probably the most squirrelly guitar-for-sale description I've seen ... wondering, was there really a brief in-between period when the neck date was neither stamped or written?

7. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

So the pick guard is replaced and there’s an obvious route repair. Easy assessment.

It’s a player grade vintage Tele but a bit over priced. Looks pretty cool though!

fernieite likes this.
  8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

The missing neck date is normal and expected for this period.

Most 1959 rosewood board teles and esquires did not have a neck date. It seems that the earlier maple board 59's did. (Until around April of that year)

Penciled neck dates were reintroduced in 1960 sometime, and the ink stamped neck dates came later. (I forget, 1962 maybe?)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    cjp60 and mightysteve like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

An American Professional "like that" runs $1600. No way that guitar is 10 times better. However, some will think it's worth it.

I get stuck in the value proposition; I cannot justify that much money when something that is almost as good is 1/10 the price. This is always a hard line to draw; when does something become "worth it"?

I will not argue if someone else thinks this is worth the money, or is willing to pay the price.

Not for me - but cool.

10. capitalbear

capitalbear TDPRI Member

You're missing every point by trying to start an evaluation like "10 times better".

Redbobbin and goonie like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, but no.

Some guitars are twice the price but twice as good. There is a point of diminishing returns; I was using that guitar and price as an example. But I understand - there is no "x times better", because that is un-measurable.

I've posted in the past about "percent of a perfect guitar for me". My first guitar was probably 30% perfect. My second one was 50% perfect. My Strat is 88%. My Baja about 93%. Getting above 95% gets expensive - a lot of money for just a little bit better. Sure, my Baja could be said to be three times better than my first guitar, and probably 5 times the cost. Worth it for me.

I'm an analyst. I like to compare, then add value to an equation. You were right in your post, but this is just how I look at things. I don't think I would ever spend over $2000 for a guitar, so I have a ceiling. A $1600 American Pro is about as good as I would get - unless I got a Kirn or something custom - for the money I would spend. $15,000 for a vintage that may go from 95% perfect to 97% perfect is not worth it for me, since it is a tiny bit better for 10 times the cost. Hence the "10 times better" reference.

But you're still right. :D

12. capitalbear

capitalbear TDPRI Member

There's no way how to measure "good".

13. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i've always said that if i had 16k to spend on a guitar, i wouldn't spend it on a guitar.

Peltogyne likes this.
  14. capitalbear

capitalbear TDPRI Member

No need or reason to justify anything. In Vintage there are two questions, both of them non fact-based but solely emotional: "Is it fascinating me?" and if so, "Am I willing to pay the asking price?" Nothing more, nothing less.

Redbobbin, Peltogyne and zeke54 like this.
  15. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Just some thoughts on the entire vintage thing. You know how an original Honus Wagner baseball card or Superman #1 comic books can go in the millions. A person could simply buy a reprint for significantly cheaper and it will be every bit as good, performance wise. It's just paper and ink. Or you could buy a brand new 2020 Ford Shelby Mustang that is faster, handles better, has a better interior and is just outright better than the original 1965 versions. But the original Shelby's are still worth more. It's not about performance as it is the cool factor of owning an original and having something that not everyone else can go out and buy. You could go out and buy a custom shop that is probably even better than an original pre-cbs. But anyone can go out and buy a custom shop. Getting an original one isn't just about money, you have to hunt for it if you want one. It's the "unobtanium" factor that makes it desirable.

cjp60, megalo82 and Peltogyne like this.
  16. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Honestly, for a vintage tele, it would HAVE to be butterscotch/blonde, blackguard and maple board for me to even consider it, but different strokes, right?

megalo82 likes this.
  17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would have to do some serious research but the price seems, dare I say, reasonable. I agree with marshman, I would add some coin to get a vintage butterscotch.

18. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Not buying that explanation for that rout at all. Looks to me like someone added a 3rd pickup, and then it got plugged at some point by someone who was less than skilled at patching the hole in the finish.

19. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Supposedly the reason why they stopped doing pencil dates briefly in 59 is that a fender customer called in a complaint that an employee had written an obscenity on the neck. I have not found any other evidence for this other than word of mouth, but I've heard it from more than one source; interpret that as you will.

Stefanovich likes this.
  20. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So what you're saying is their demos are more like if mere mortals like us were doing them...

Veitchy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.