This is NOT a Telecaster—"American Standard Offset Telecaster", live from NAMM 2016

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by wyclif, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Based on the subject at hand, Fender are literally saying the electronics & classic Telecaster layout, determine it's nomenclature & not the familiar body . . . be careful what you attach yourself to, Elmer.

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Folks all over the world are building Telecaster clones but they can't be called "Telecasters" so they're called "T-Types". Why? Because they look just like a Telecaster and we all know that "T-Type" really means "Telecaster Type"...You just can't say it or print it that way. Adding a Tele style bridge plate and control plate to something no more makes it a Tele than adding teats to a boar makes it a sow.

This is just a showpiece intended to draw attention to the Fender booth a NAMM. They'll make a few that collectors will snap up for outrageous prices but it's doubtful that you'll see anyone significant with one onstage.

As for a name? Don't worry about it. This one likely won't be around long enough to even require one...

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

4. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

Interesting review by Reverb.com at NAMM.

Starts about 2:15 into the video. Interesting that only 500 of each of three colors (standard, Lake Placid Blue, Olympic White) will be released for this model.

5. Ham and Eggs

Ham and Eggs Tele-Meister

Man, if Squier made one it would sell like hotcakes...

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Okay, so I've got a half dozen "T-types" layin' around here ; some Squiers, some partscasters, and the common thread is the body style. ALL of the necks, pickups, tuning keys, trim & harnesses run a wide variance, and yet to me, they are all "Teles". I will not argue the finer points of the matter: the "Offset" is obviously an offset waist-body(as Leo called it)& it should sound like a Telecaster. Parents can name their children anything they like. Humbly, dr.j

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

It's hideous in the sunburst. Maybe a different color, but I'm not sure....

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So if the TDPRI thinks calling this cool guitar a Telecaster is a mistake, will GC blow them all out at half price because they're defective?

Sounds good to me...

9. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have to admit, I like it. I could skip the modern tuners and string tree on the Fender models, but other than that, I'd love to have one.

10. Jay Jernigan

I'm not a real big fan of the offset style because of size. Special case required. I do own a jmascis Jazzmaster & it plays incredibly sweet.

savofenno likes this.
  11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Just to set the record straight...I have nothing against this guitar except the name and I agree with the OP in that this is NOT a Tele.

I think the Fender Marketing Department really missed the boat here.

Some of you fellas have been building this thing for years and making up names for it. I've never played a Jag but the shape looks to be more comfortable that the standard Tele slab body configuration but it looks like it could be heavy.

Back in '62 Lee Iacocca had an idea for a car that he was gonna call an Offset Falcon which is what it was based upon. A young designer named John Najjar, who had an affinity for the P-51 suggested that it be called a Mustang. The Ford Mustang was first shown to the world at the World's Fair and is the only car to have sold a million copies in it's first year.

Okay...I made up part of this but you get the deal.

As for looks? I'll just say that I've been working hard on my sound for more than 50 years, more often recently, and I'll take a cedar shingle strung with barb wire if it gets me what I want and you can call it whatever you want.

So...I'll call it a copy of what something that you guy's have been doing for some time. It's something and I don't know what you want to call it...but it ain't a Tele...

12. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Priceless.

Mike

13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

......... is this a joke ?

14. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I'd prefer more of a MJT Vintage White color vs. bright-white Oly, but I'd go white nonetheless.

15. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Presenting the Limited Edition Non-Offset Jazzmaster!
    [​IMG]
    :D:rolleyes:

savofenno likes this.
  16. mhainz

mhainz Tele-Meister

I guess it comes down to "what's in a name?".

If the shape determines the name or the name determines the shape then explain the Telecaster Bass which doesn't look anything like a Tele 6 string?

17. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I love it! These have been around as custom builds for a while (Telemaster / Jazzcaster). I'm going to build a Warmoth version using a body blank and parts from a Tele. It has all the guts if a tele, I'd much rather rock one of these than a humbucker equipped, strat bridged freak that sometimes passes as a tele.

That said, call it what it is - a "Telemaster."

18. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Friend of Leo's

Agree with the OP - not a Tele by any shade of the imagination.

19. Jay Jernigan

Slab body, two string per barrel bridge, control plate, headstock. One single coil pickup ; shoulda called it an Esquire bass.

savofenno likes this.
  20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

For the win!

Post that makes the most sense in this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.