This is my story - I'm stickin' to it.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Curlydog, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Curlydog

Curlydog TDPRI Member

My 19 yo daughter has been playing on the church band for 4 years, first 3 in Florida and now the past 4 months here in TN - she was really nervous about playing here in the Music capital of the world as there were a bunch of really good players that rotated through - she finally took the plunge after spring semester was over and the guys have been terrific mentors for her. Well, one of the guys is a Fender tech and I asked him to find me a good deal on a Strat for her for Christmas - bad idea, he found a great deal right away and he got it all set up and I of course gave it to her already and she loves it(so much for Christmas). 2018 Vintage 50's Strat MIM - he totally upgraded electronics, PU etc.

Well, we have since decided that we wanted to try building her own Telecaster as a Father-Daughter project. My intent was to buy a $200 kit and build it over winter break(then next summer build her dream Tele), well our good friend the Fender guru talked us out of that idea and promised he would be there every step of the way to help teach us if we bought what she really wanted and built that. So I being the anal retentive person that I am have already found and ordered everything we need - thanks for all the good info I found here - the only question mark - Pickups Fender Tex-Mex or the Fender Custom Shop Texas specials - I bought the Tex-Mex and told her fall semester dean's list gets her the Texas Specials.

So all good right - we will have everything arrive over the next 2 -3 weeks and be all set for our winter break project - heck even ordered a robot car and FM radio for her to learn soldering on as she wants to do that herself - but wait this Dad is totally anal - I bought $180 Squier Infinity Telecaster off Reveb today so I can tear it apart and put it back together just I am sure I know what am I am doing when we do her build.

So this leaves me only one question: Will my wife divorce me or kill me when the Squier arrives next week?

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

nah, those are safe buys..

Wait til you hear (or read) other peeps purchases amounting to thousands upon thousands of dollars!!

Welcome and congrats on the affinity! pics or didnt happen as they say

Greggorios and Curlydog like this.
  3. Curlydog

Curlydog TDPRI Member

Only the

Only the Tex-Mex PU so far have arrived - I will be sure to add photos of the pile when it arrives :0)

Fretting out likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Your wife may be upset at the cash layout but she will be happy you are doing the Daddy/Daughter thing that will last a lifetime of brilliant memories,

I told my squeeker when she was guitar hunting that "One day you will find the one instrument that speaks to you, you will know it like you were born to it ,without question", she found this all on her own , spent 5 days looking for any excuse not to buy it , and could not find one negative reason, so this is her lifetime guitar, bought and paid for by herself

A Gretsch White Penguin acoustic

P1011656.JPG

Build your memories they are priceless and last a lifetime

Sporqueman, Toast and Curlydog like this.
  5. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Quality time with kid = Priceless!

Sporqueman and Curlydog like this.
  6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

However this turns out, your better for the experience. Good luck and welcome

Curlydog likes this.
  7. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

8. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Keep buying stuff. Eventually you'll get to the point where she won't even notice anything new.

Curlydog and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dont be so fast on that one, my wife can itemize my whole studio by name...........she's on to me!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    WingedWords, Curlydog and vgallagher like this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome! Great project. Let us know how it turns out.

Curlydog likes this.
  11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

You're doing fine. I myself would not have picked the Affinity series as I feel the Classic Vibes and Vintage Modified series are better partscasters. If you do a good job on the rebuild however, particularly in rolling the fret ends and dressing (crowning) it properly it will come out pretty good. Putting some time and love into the neck (fret ends especially) is where the real playability comes from. Pay real detail attention to the "relief/action/intonation" routine and give it a spot on setup will also help a ton in the "it plays great" stakes.

Curlydog likes this.
  12. Curlydog

Curlydog TDPRI Member

My real task was to ensure I know how to take it apart and put it back together blindfolded :0) - The daughter insists she will be putting hers together and will be guiding only - should be interesting - but I am planning on taking your advice above for certain - while the neck we have for the "project is in perfect shape who knows what will come next - so we will learn

Thanks for the sound advise

13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think you both will have fun with these projects!

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

Welcome

16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m trying the tactic “only one blue guitar out of its case at a time.” It’s a Tele. And it’s a slightly different Tele. And it’s a Jazzmaster. I don’t believe for a second that it’s working.

24 track likes this.
  17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

If you're going with Fender pickups, I would suggest the Pure Vintage 64's. If you're willing to go aftermarket, you could get her a set of Bootrap pickups for probably a little less. Hard to be the 64s. Much better pickups than either the Tex Mex or the Texas Specials, IMHO.

18. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome

19. Gipper

Gipper TDPRI Member

Sounds like it should be alot of fun for the both of you. But I will warn you the building bug stings hard!

20. Curlydog

Curlydog TDPRI Member

Tore the Squier apart, put in the upgraded pots and switches and Pick up(yep neck only the bridge we got was bad had to send it back) - strung it up followed the set up steps as we have found them, the kiddo took it to her lessons, the instructor(he is awesome) played it for about 30 seconds and says "had some fret buzz on Low E" she nodded yes "you forgot to go back and reset the string radius after raising the bridge height" two things : 1) How the hell..... and 2) yep exactly what happened - rookie mistake I guess - good news is I think we are ready for the girls dream build should be fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.