THIS is my new no.1 "cut through the mix" pedal...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by braveheart, Sep 21, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

..the MORLEY MAN Distortion Boost..

I bought it for 35$ without expectations...

It's like A MID arrow, because it takes away bass and focuses on the mid/upper mids ...great to make a bassy low middy amp tight, a little bit like the BOSS SD-1!

Compared to a RC Booster (in the "cut through the mix " department), it's more agressive (the mids/upper mids)...which is good for me and my Marshall DSL 50

The boost is crap/useless,because it ads muddy/low middy frequencies, no matter what you do...and you can't use it as a single boost or adjust the volume

I think the new version of the boost is better...

I have almost 65 od pedals (incl. Xotic,BOSS,MXR,Truetone,Ibanez,Maxon,Carl Martin,Bogner,Fulltone etc) so I can compare, but the Morley was a big surprise...:eek:
    :):)
    for me a very underrated pedal...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Besides Octave Fuzz?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

FUZZ??? The Morley is not a higain/chainsaw massacre pedal...more an eq boost and you can ad some agressive harmonics with the drive knob

4. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Compared to my sound years ago, I have a lot less distortion nowadays.
    It's more like an early 70s crunch, but rarely anything near high gain distortion - that doesn't cut through, but forces to increase volume.
    Cutting through the mix works on any volume-level, as it has to do with what instrument assigns to what frequenzy. I use a 20 Watt tube amp for rehearsal (and for gigging) and have the same model back at home for practice. The eq-settings differ as I dial in a lot more bass and less mids at home, whereas I have a lot more mids and treble with the band.
    I have used various boosters (i.e. boosting the volume, NOT increasing gain/compression).
    I am using a T-Rex Tonebug Booster for quite some years, as it provides a Scoop-knob for adjusting the midrange. My main overdrive comes from the amp, I use a Fulltone OCD for slight break-up tone or adding compression. That works fine for me since a couple of years. But then I don't have 65(!!!) od-pedals to chose from.....

5. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

Yes,I have the T-Rex booster,too...pretty useful as far as I remember, but it has been in one of my toy boxes for years...I will check it out again...:)

I usally don't like the distortion of pedals (except amp pedals like the 5150 od or Bogner red)...

normally I use them as colouring boosters with a slightly overdriven amp...

so the dirt stays pretty "cut through the mix" dynamic and clean without the mud

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My bad! I misunderstood the thread :oops:
    I thought it was a call for pedals that take no prisoners!

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

HAHAHA...damn,I thought a swarm of angry hornets that escaped from a secret experimental lab coming towards me, when I watched the video..:) and I thought:"WTF?":D

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

That was fun! I liked the I think Caroline (?) one ( I can't read small print any more) that had fuzz+Octave switch sounded like a good fuzz, plus really complimentary octave effect

Demo did not have the one I own, the Danelectro French Toast Octave/Fuzz( I don't know why I bought it, many years ago....) this pedal ( probably most of these) are too strong for the music I usually play- still cool!

9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I heard about the "Beano Boost" sometime ago and it has aways got really great reviews. I finally ended up with one and I have to agree, this pedal makes a difference in any amp I've put it through, (PRRI, BJr., Boutique Brown Deluxe, Fender Super Clone, Crate Palomino V16). For kicks and giggles I ran it through my Blackstar, Fly Mini with my air breathing Epi 335, well...... you would have to of been there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.