1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This Is Just Plain OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bill Hullett, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpoe

bpoe Tele-Meister

Scott, aluminum on the e/a string produces the brightest tone there, and while stainless steel is brighter than brass, its not quite as bright as aluminum. Thats what Dale's site says. I myself have only tried aluminum and brass on the e/a string.

2. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Got Mine

I just put a twang set on my latest blue Tele. It originally had the StewMac brass compensated saddles. With the old saddles I measured the tuning fretted on the 12th fret with the best balance I could make. I was using a Korg DTR-1 which in Hz mode has a 0.5Hz resolution. Below are the results relative to the 440Hz reference.

StewMac Saddles
    E 0.010" dia 440Hz
    B 0.013" dia 440.5Hz
    G 0.017" dia 440.5Hz
    D 0.026" dia 440Hz
    A 0.036" dia 440Hz
    E 0.046" dia 441.5

I have used 9s and 11s on the StewMac saddles and I believe I remember that the 10s set balanced a little better than the 9s and 11s.

Now, after installing the Twang set I was able to nail all strings to 440Hz reference.

That is really cool, but the performance of the StewMac saddles are really pretty good considering the average person's playing. For instance, if I squeeze really hard on the string, it will sharpen the note even further. Also, just a little bias by the hand on the back of the neck while playing normally will cause an error bigger that 0.5Hz. But for what its worth, it appears for the gauge I use, these saddles have more accurate angles resulting in more accuracy.

I didn't mention it before, but the nut makes a major difference in intonation when playing near the nut. If the nut is cut too high, all the precision saddles in the world won't help your tuning. I know that is generally obvious, but I thought I would mention it.

After an assessment, I believe I like the angled height screws the better than anything. They miss the bridge mounting screws and land ON the plate. I'm not sure how important that is in the overall scheme of things, but it is something that always bothered me. Especially if it is part of the way on the mounting screw. I'm always concerned that it may slip off.

I need a good gig/amp to give my opinion on the aluminum E/A saddle.

3. lex765

lex765 TDPRI Member

re: marketing

I think I'm probably about as average a member on here as there is, I'm not a great player, nor am I an expert technician/repairman. I totally appreciate it when a better player points me in a direction thats improves my playing, or when I get a good tip on setups or mods for my tele.
    I mean whats the function of this forum if we can't share good tips with each other. I relalize that it can sometimes almost sound like a commercial for some product, but the moderator is pretty sharp about telling the difference of whether someone is excited about sharing a new found product with his fellow telephiles or making a sales pitch.
    I'd hate to think where my playing would be without this site and the knowledge and good natured sharing of its members.

4. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Re: Got Mine

leave it to Terry to get all scientific on us ;) . he'd put a set of calipers or micrometer on it if'n he had a reason to. i bet he could put a pump handle on an outhouse ;) ;) .

johnny atomic

5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Re: Got Mine

Goodness! I don't know much about this science stuff, all I know is that I've got mine and they are fabulous!

Terry, run that past me one more time! :?

:D Peter

6. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>DAD-GUM-MIT !!
    <li>Now I are gonna haff ta fetch a new tuner I reckon.
    <li>Terry yew ole wizzard yew !
    <li>I come from the old slide rule daze where purdy close waz good enuff tew git a grade.
    <li>I alwayz interpolate (fi-dollar werd) whence I'm tunin and now yew got it down tew fractions of a needle width.
    <li>Oh well, it still werks purdy good onna bass.

[​IMG]

<li>And here I alwayz thought I waz in tune.

[​IMG]

Please visit my page

7. scotabilly

scotabilly TDPRI Member

"Scott, aluminum on the e/a string produces the brightest tone there, and while stainless steel is brighter than brass, its not quite as bright as aluminum. Thats what Dale's site says. I myself have only tried aluminum and brass on the e/a string."

Thanks Brian, I missed that on Dale's site. I just decided on steel based on the fact that I don't like the sound of aluminum Bigsby bridges.

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Tuner

[​IMG]
    Hey Fuzz..I've got one of those old tuners too! Since I got my Boss TU-2 a few years back, the old Matrix is a back up only, and mostly gets used as a 9v battery tester! :D

9. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Mine are on !

The "Twang" set that is, they are on and on to stay !!
    Tuning is perfect with them and they have made a great sounding guitar sound even better.
    The aluminium saddle is a piece of ingenuity, along with the other two brass ones they have everything going for them, clarity, definition and twang in abundance.
    Thanks again Bill for the heads up !

10. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well I'm Very Happy

I'm very happy that these bridges work so well for all of you guys...I still think they are 150% killer myself, I just got another set (stainless steel ) and have run out of Teles to put em on!!! So I have to hurry up and finish a Brian Poe Esquire that I'm in the middle of building... :lol:

Thanks again for such an AAA+++ product!

Bill Hullett

11. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

My Turn!!

Well . . . Flame away if you must, butt

I've had Dales 2 brass & and one aluminium saddle set on my Brian Poe body, Ebay neck, Hamel pickups, Mark Jenny paint partscaster,
    all of which I paid for, like everyone else (not free, so I'd advertise for them!!) :eek:

Thanks to this wonderful board & folks like Fuzzy's experience. I wouldn't have heard of any of these people or the things they make or do, to put this great partscaster together! :idea:

The saddles have been on for over two weeks now, I think they sound great! No my strings don't last any longer. :cry:

They are machined exceptionally well, considering what I know about complicated machinery. And they tune unbelievably close. My low E is a little sharp still, but the rest show perfect on my tuner. Maybe your ears can tell, mine can't. I use LaBella 11,14,18,28,38,52 cause of the odd guages, maybe thats why my low E is stinky!?!
    :oops: :cry:
    I'm gettin' old & Tele deaf, so I'm sure my ears aren't quite as perfect as some of the tuning/ pitch/ gear testing/ myth busting/ proffessional musician/ police we are so fortunate to have on this board. I'd like to purchace some of thier cd's and come see em' when they come thru my town! :D

I KNOW I would have been shop foreman of this illustrious team when I was 17, but not now, thats OK 'cause Eric Johnson said I was in tune when he came & sat in on one of my gigs, an he tests batteries for a livin'! ;)

Anywho, I want to thank Paul for letting us have a free speech place, to say if we like or dislike, prove or disaprove of what our Tele's can or can't do, with newer, older, or upgraded parts, with or without the judges piont of view! :rolleyes:

Thank You Paul, your not selling anything are you?:twisted:
    Redd Volkaert

12. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

this is kiddiegarden stuff....go over to the Steel Guitar Forum once and see how the 'real' pros go ape-poo over tuning...there is blood flowing on the keyboards over "temper tuning" vs "just intonation", and then the 'perfect pitch' ears sound off, it's wild. the one consensus over there seems to be all this hollering is a result of the advent of the electronic tuner. the members over there probably average around 50 years old, not like here, where most members are young enough to have never had to play without a tuner. now, where'd i leave my pitch pipe, i gotta go gig...

13. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I nominate Redd's recent reply/post on this thread as 'Post of the Week'. Great observations all around and extra kudos for the hilarious EJ/Duracell remark!

Too funny...

14. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The way this has gone,

I'm gonna buy some whether I need 'em or not! :)

15. bpoe

bpoe Tele-Meister

not kidding

I kid you not; the glendale saddles on my favorite guitar are now of these materials;

e/a; aluminum
    d/g; stainless steel
    b/e; brass

What the stainless steel did was brighten the tone on the d/g strings as well as add just a bit of midrange, the combination producing what my ears hear as a really nice eq going straight into my amp. There really is something to saddle materials. I never would have believed it but I can't deny my ear.

Also, for the first time i can recall, the treble pot on my '65 Princeton Reverb is on 5 and i have a nice bright yet no icepick sound out of the bridge pickup.

16. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

This is really interesting but still not sure what I want.
    Think I'll stick with initial gut and get the SS ones for the
    one '62 RI. I don't like the threaded ones on it as
    it is a bother to get the strings aligned correct when
    changing. My close vision doesn't help there either.
    I may go with a set or 2 of brass for the other '62
    and '52 RIs.
    I'm not ruling out a combo or Aluminum ones yet
    though.

BTW, pitch pipes and over 50 crowd.....
    I still have and use an A 440 tuning fork sometimes.
    Before tuners it was the holy piece for tuning even in
    noisey places.
    (I just turned 56)

17. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Heck it's been going on far longer than that. "Back in the day," (as my 15 year old daughter would say) every piano tuner had his own scale. The fact is that you can't design a 12 tone scale that has notes that match the harmonics of the fundamental in more than one key. Every scale makes compromises and there are lots of choices on how to make them.

Now with strobe tuners (and even easier on a digital keyboard) we can try out different compromises very easily and decide which ones we like. More stuff to argue about.

18. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Re: not kidding

i've got a kinda similar set on order w/ dale.
    Aluminum E/A for the twang
    Brass D/G
    SS B/E because i want it for my b-bender. SS is longest wearing.

19. Donnie Skaggs

Donnie Skaggs TDPRI Member

Re: not kidding

Dale's saddles are THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!ill love them or I WILL BUY THEM FROM YOU!!!!!!!!!! I can always use another excuse to build a Brian Poe Tele!!!

20. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It's settled...

Whether I need them or not, I am going to get some of these new-fangled super-compensated saddles.

When I play cowboy chords it seems that I can get along with the straight three-piece.

But...and this is a big BUT...when I creep up (or down) the neck a bit...even Tin Ear Dikkers can hear things going south.

I have a set of Stew-Macs that aren't bad. The Callahans on my Crook seem pretty good. But I am going to have to try some of these new ones.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.