this is beautiful , auroral borialis

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I lived 200 miles south of Santa Claus for about 2 years in my teens , I never got tired of this , ever
I walked home at 02:00 am in the winter about a 4 K or more walk home , I walked head on into a bob cat , I cant tell you who was more startled we were 3 feet apart , we met and then we both went our separate ways , no drama . but the night was very much like these photos , please enjoy them , this is a real place that many never get a chance to expirience .

https://capturetheatlas.com/northern-lights-photographer-of-the-year/

please adhere to the disclaimer at the end of the link , these guys deserve that much respect these are gorgious!

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Sweet.

Being from the (almost absolute) southern end of mainland NZ, I've seen the Aurora Australis a bit. I remember the first time still, as I was quite young and out the back of my grandmother's house in a rural area, with no light pollution. I had no idea what I was witnessing and rushed inside to warm of the imminent alien landing.

My aunt simply went, "That's just the Southern Lights" like it was no big deal.

Pax/
Dean

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hi.

Sweet.

Being from the (almost absolute) southern end of mainland NZ, I've seen the Aurora Australis a bit. I remember the first time still, as I was quite young and out the back of my grandmother's house in a rural area, with no light pollution. I had no idea what I was witnessing and rushed inside to warm of the imminent alien landing.

My aunt simply went, "That's just the Southern Lights" like it was no big deal.

Pax/
Dean
one of my fondest memories was the night I went outside it would be about midnight and the oxygen had turned into a green irredescent mist on the ground that swirled around my feet , really alien like , I remember counting sattellites crossing the sky , so clear .

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi again.

So, living in Japan, there is, shall we say, an ample abundance of light pollution.

I remember when the penny dropped and I realised, unlike back home where the clear nights are the ones you have the most ground visibility with, especially on a full moon, that it was the overcast nights here that are brightest.

Cos all the neon is reflecting back down. At least, I think that's what's happening to make it so.

Pax/
Dean

esseff

Friend of Leo's
I lived in Shetland (on the edge of the Arctic Circle) for four years and never once saw The Northern Lights. :(
In the summer there'd be 20 hours of daylight and six hours in winter. The warmest temperature was about 21 C and that only lasted for a couple of days. A pretty wild place at times with heavy snows, 10mph fog, 80mph gales and terrifying seas. The 12 hour ferry trip to Aberdeen could be unpleasant when the weather turned nasty. First time I ever got sea-sick.
It was a nice place to live though, with very little crime, mostly litter-free, scenic and friendly Shetlanders.
I'm living in the British midlands now so my chances of ever seeing the Aurora Borealis are a fat zero.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I lived 200 miles south of Santa Claus for about 2 years in my teens , I never got tired of this , ever
I walked home at 02:00 am in the winter about a 4 K or more walk home , I walked head on into a bob cat , I cant tell you who was more startled we were 3 feet apart , we met and then we both went our separate ways , no drama . but the night was very much like these photos , please enjoy them , this is a real place that many never get a chance to expirience .

https://capturetheatlas.com/northern-lights-photographer-of-the-year/

please adhere to the disclaimer at the end of the link , these guys deserve that much respect these are gorgious!

MAGIC. So beautiful, a surreal beauty the likes of which I've never seen before, amazing.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We see them maybe a six or seven times a year up here, take it for granted I guess. Usually greeny blue, when the pinks and purples show up and mix in can be quite spectacular
the green is oxygen , blue is nitrogen, and i do believe thr red/pink is argon , different gases in the atmosphere react differently to being electrically charged. to hear them and see them is breathtaking ( some times during a large solar event they crackle )

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The pictures are quite beautiful. Our idea of cold is somewhat different than yours. We went to the golf shop and bought momma and I each a pair of winter golf gloves yesterday, so that both hands are covered. It's supposed to be in the high forties next Wednesday when we play! I MAY even have to break out my long pants.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It’s been a good year for them. The pics from my friends in Churchill have been spectacular, and they’ve even been visible here on the mid-island (a rare event). Of course, they were “visible” on nights when my area was clouded over… :(

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The pictures are quite beautiful. Our idea of cold is somewhat different than yours. We went to the golf shop and bought momma and I each a pair of winter golf gloves yesterday, so that both hands are covered. It's supposed to be in the high forties next Wednesday when we play! I MAY even have to break out my long pants.
I hear you , when in the summer in the yukon it was 24 hr sunlight , 2AM looked like 2PM , it would get to a balmy 60 -70 degrees F, teeshirts , cargo shorts and mosquito repellant , thats all you needed.

imagine 24 hour golf!