This is a compressor taking a strat out of the “plinky” zone!

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow. Such a cool demo. Just a Donald Fagen caliber fusion groove, clean strat, straight home. Super simple. Compressor just taming the transient out of what I (constantly, sorry) call the plinky zone. I HATE the plinky zone. That spot where you need simple clean strat but don’t have enough amp volume or air moving to do the compression. Mainly an excuse to post the video demo because I live for a good fusion groove. But, also to have a discussion of that waste land between having some wind at your back and trying not to get fired 😉.

Shawn is the king of demos IMHO:

The Walrus Audio Mira looks and sounds great and has a rich, functional feature set. Would make a great mothership board comp/boost slot choice.

Last edited:

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve tried several compressors and didn’t like any. A BBE Opto-Stomp came my way in a trade and it’s the best compressor I’ve tried so far. More players need to try optical compressors.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve tried several compressors and didn’t like any. A BBE Opto-Stomp came my way in a trade and it’s the best compressor I’ve tried so far. More players need to try optical compressors.
Compressors are very strange beasts because so much of it is how it ‘feels’ under the fingers. From an observers standpoint, they don’t seem to do anything lol 😂. When players find one just hits right for them, they become very loyal to them. Opto comps have that soft knee, swooped release curve thing going so it doesn’t feel like its crushing every note. They certainly feel great.

Don’t always need a compressor in every situation, but when you do they can be magic.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I agree regarding optical comps, but I thought that sounded pretty plinky. Both the Tele copy and the Strat.
Its pretty Wayne Krantz’y for sure but I could definitely hear the comp rescuing the body of the note ‘post plink’. Especially when he plays that part in isolation later in the video.
That’s what is great about how he chose to do the demo. What’s more plinky than a weak strat 2 position playing frail, dead clean, chanky fusion comps. Straight to deck no less. I think Shawn was brilliant for running toward the worse case scenario. Also, keeping it subtle for a result (hearing the note and not the compressor).
For me it was coming off larger venues into smaller ones with my two Super Reverbs set to ‘max plink‘. I found myself digging to compensate and making things worse. So much power, so little note. I was given a Boss CS-1 literally mid song and I instantly clicked. I ran out and traded for Princetons. Always better amp first.
That Mira has some great guitar player features. I bet its a killer.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Great demo, and nice features on that pedal. If I didn’t already own a Boss CP-1X, which I love, I would pick one up.

It’s interesting how the subject of compressor pedals is so divisive among guitarists. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a forum thread that didn’t have at least one person chiming in denouncing them.

Like any other pedal, it’s either a useful tool for you or it isn’t. I personally enjoy a good compressor pedal for various reasons, and there are a lot of great ones available these days. The Mira looks to be one of them.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I abandoned compressors live years ago when I got a wireless rig. Loved the sound on stage but at the back of the room it was all squish, soft and lacked definition! I was really surprised.... and dismayed.
In the studio it's nice though.
The other thing is 'how you play'. If you are a mostly neck pickup player, it can be like I described above. If you are a Tele bridge player like Brad Paisley etc, it can retain definition much better.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Great demo, and nice features on that pedal. If I didn’t already own a Boss CP-1X, which I love, I would pick one up.

It’s interesting how the subject of compressor pedals is so divisive among guitarists. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a forum thread that didn’t have at least one person chiming in denouncing them.

Like any other pedal, it’s either a useful tool for you or it isn’t. I personally enjoy a good compressor pedal for various reasons, and there are a lot of great ones available these days. The Mira looks to be one of them.
Once the amp takes over, for my rig the compressor is done being a compressor and becomes a boost, if that. Comps are great when you need one. Sometimes you simply don’t need one , but, if you are still using one when maybe its not helping, yeah, its not going be something you like. What I see the most is, over use, misuse, and incorrect settings and application. They tend to get bad rap quite often when it is simply user error.
If it is killing the feel, turn it off or change it for sure. This said, that magic blend knob really extends the usable range.

Last edited: