1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This hemp re-coned Oxford for a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jackadder, May 2, 2021.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Calling from down the speaker rabbit hole in my quest for a 5e3 bedroom level cranky 12" speaker.... saw this cool looking Hempopotamus'd Oxford on Reverb. Would it fit the bill? It looks cool :cool:

Description a bit vague, either 20 or 25W, and 4 or 16 Ohms, depending on how far you read. Wanted some guidance from you folks in the know before contacting
    the seller with noob questions.

Thanks!

2. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Deluxe which has original size coupling capacitors has bassy sound and hemp cone loudspeaker might make it even more when Deluxe tone control is also bit limited.

AlbertaGriff, Jackadder and Wally like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

As I read the sale info, that is a 4 ohm speaker...they are clear about that. For my purposes, that makes it a no-go for a 8 ohm OT since I prefer matched loads.
    Small objection...why did they not mask the connection lugs and the mount for those lugs?? +1 on the darkness of hemp. I have yet to hear one that I would want....and I have heard the high dollar hemps in a 5E3. It was muddy to my ear...inarticulate if pushed. I ran that amp through an OEM Eminence that was in a PRinceton Reverb II amp, and the 5E3 came to life...relatively speaking. Ommv.

4. Jackadder

Thanks for the replies. Steer clear of hemp for the 5e3 seems to be the message!

As for the ohm rating, Wally, the title says '4 ohm' but the description goes: "So, if you happen to have a need... or even a craving for a really cool 12"/16 ohm OXFORD-hemp speaker- then here ya' go!!!"

I'm waiting on the Hammond 1760E with 4,8,16 ohms so it wasn't a problem either way, just confusing.

The speaker search continues. The range available here in Australia is slim, and postage from the US effectively doubles or triples the price of speakers like the Weber 12A125A or the Sig 12.

Thanks again.

Wally likes this.
  5. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

At least Evatco in Queensland seem to sell Jensens and list pricing seems to be only about 10% more what they are here in Europe unless price lacks tax what ours include.

Buy P12Q if you like vintage low and mid volume Fender sound where tubes distort more which its low ~94db sensitivity makes possible. It is my favorite 12" now when I do mostly home playing and occacional group practices. It might be too quiet for club playing without PA. It does all that "alnico compression and coloring" very low power so for same volume than higher sensitivity amp can be opened more and then that does its share to sound :)

Jensen P12R has less sensitivity but only very little less. Its very low volume is bit too bright and its higher power bass limit comes sooner so I have not used it much. So it seems to sounds very good only using "smaller volume window". Perhaps it loosens if I use it more?

Tornado Classic 100 /Stealth 100 is excellent if you like also modern more articulate sound and if you use pedals. Its sensitivity is higher and makes Deluxe loud enough for band practices and many clubs too but PA might needed.

If you also like heavier rock consider Blackbird 40. It still has vintage airy clear highs in its sound but its bass is very nice, round but tight, for light loudspeaker. Obviously because Jensen made its alnico magnet stronger than what classics have. BB40 volume level is somewhere between previous.

Jensentone.com has sound samples, frequency response craphs and more than enough Thiele-Small parameters for all Jensen loudspeakers.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For bedroom level I'd steer clear of all the modern speakers. The Weber signature is a bit less efficient and it's pretty neutral with an alnico tinge. Good match. Or - find a vintage alnico 12" off eBay. Most of them will sound fine with the 5E3.

Jackadder likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

okay, Jack, I went back and read the hype at the bottom. I had earlier stopped at the list of details wherein they state this is a 4 ohm speaker. So....even if I wanted a hemp cone, I would have misgivings about buying this one from a seller who cannot decide whether a speaker has a 4 or 16 ohm impedance.

Jackadder likes this.
  8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I love a Cannabis Rex speaker in almost everything I've tried it in - except my 5e3. Didn't play it 5 minutes even, just didn't work for me.

What brands of speakers are the most readily available to you there?

Wally likes this.
  9. TonyOz

TonyOz TDPRI Member

I'm based in Sydney, and recently bought a Weber 12A125-O for my just finished 5e3 build. Although the postage to Australia is daunting, the overall cost was $289 Australian. Not too far north of the price of a quality speaker bought locally. I've tried my 5e3 with the Weber and an old Eminence 50W Legend, the Weber is much warmer sounding. Plus it looks totally '50s.

10. Jackadder

Thanks mate, I think the P12Q is probably where I'll start....it was coming down to that or the Weber Sig but I really hate paying more for the postage from US than the speaker's price.

Jensen, Eminence and Celestion are available in short supplies. Hard to believe no-one stocks Weber speakers in Australia.

Thanks for the all the replies and suggestions.

As for the rest of the 5e3 gear, bought a Mojotone small parts kit, turret board and chassis from Ampmart, Hammond PT and OT are arriving today, and some lovely Tasmanian celery top pine for the cab. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Good times!

11. Jackadder

Thanks, Tony. Did you buy off Weber's website? It's about $330 Oz for a 12A125A to Perth, and that's with DHL Express which is the cheaper option by so far that I'm not sure there wouldn't be extra fees and charges on arrival.

Yes, the Weber with 50's looking bell cover is beguiling. I can get the Jensen P12Q with added bell cover to my door for $280 from Melbourne, although I'm planning a trip (Covid willing) to Melb in July so can knock the $40 postage off. Meanwhile, if the amp is together before then I've got a 2x10 greenback cab here so there will be sound.

12. TonyOz

TonyOz TDPRI Member

I agree that $330 to Perth is a stretch. I bought a Jensen P10Q for a Champ which I've modified for harmonica (I built a new cabinet to fit the larger speaker). The Jensen sounds just fine.

One thing to note with these vintage re-issue speakers is the relatively low efficiency compared to modern ones. I guess that is part of re-creating the '50s sound, which the Weber does in spades with my new 5e3 build. I've got a gig coming up, so I'll see how it stands up volume wise. Fingers crossed it will be fine, we're a trio with no drums.

If volume becomes an issue down the track I might look at an Eminence Red Fang, which appears to capture the vintage vibe but with heaps more volume. The Red Fang is pretty expensive though.

13. Jackadder

Thanks, Tony. Shame, we could have done a mini 'group buy' from Weber, might have saved a few bucks on the post.

A Jensen P12Q came up on Gumtree today for $170 with post to Perth. Snaffled. :p

jsnwhite619 and 2L man like this.
  14. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

AUD170 is almost exact the same European list price without shipping. For you Australians Blackbird 100 seems to be bit cheaper than here.

Jackadder likes this.
  15. Jackadder

With 10 hours of break-in. Add AUD58 for the bell cover, which for some unknown reason I just must have.

2L man likes this.
  16. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

Hemp cones generally require a string (large) magnet to sound good for guitar. Otherwise, they tend to be dark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.