1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This has to be the saddest song of all time

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Big_Bend, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe its not the saddest song of all time, but its up there.

John Lennon and Elton John were best friends. John named Elton to be the Godfather for his newborn baby son Sean. Then a few years later, John Lennon was murdered.

Soon after Elton John and Bernie Taupin got together again and wrote this song. I had heard it before but it was only recently that I realized this song was about John Lennon.

Damn.... if this song doesn't jerk out some tears nothing will.

This was brought home when I went back and listened to this recent interview Sean Lennon did with Elton John, talking about what would have been John Lennon's 80th birthday.

In this interview Sean talks about this Empty Garden song and how much it meant to him, listening to it as a young adolescent... it sounds liked this song helped Sean get through some rough times.. and Elton said he very rarely is able to perform it live because it brings back such strong emotions.

I duno, just one of the all time saddest songs that has meant a lot to the people closest to John Lennon.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting - Agreed

By the way - Sir Elton's auto-bio "Me" is available as an audio book.
    I loved it.
    He mentions his affection for John and provides another POV about the "lost weekend"

Peace - Deeve

kplamann, Big_Bend and Telecasters84 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.