This has probably been done to death but what's your got to distortion/ gain pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FortyEight, Jan 19, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

JHS Morning Glory. likeitloveitgottahaveit. but to go heavier? the jury's still out. possibly a Fulltone RTO.

2. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

LovePedal Les Lius.

3. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I use the blues driver for solos sometimes... I really just need a little more sustain, a clean boost per se. It does the job, but I am tempted to buy a soul food.

Probably something better out there, but most of the time I don't even need a boost anymore when doing solos.

4. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

On my main board, a Tech 21 Hot Rod Plexi (the later version with the Punch control, not the one with the Thump control), gain set halfway, Punch and Tone at 2 o'clock. For leads I drive that with a Boss OD3, gain at 10 o'clock, tone at 12 o'clock, level at 9:30. Works with all of my guitars.
    On my fly-rig board, I use a Boss ST-2 Power Stack in place of the Tech 21, set to light crunch, driven by a Mosky BB-Box (BB preamp clone) for leads, set to mostly clean boost. Gets me in the same ballpark as the bigger board, but not quite as good.
    The Tech 21 is a fabulous pedal. Very low-noise, silent switching, warm 3-D sound that cleans up beautifully. The version they have in their Fly Rig doesn't come close.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  5. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

It's a home DIY built pedal that blows the rest of them out of the water. It's called NU DIST. New kind of distortion, that is sure the most transparent pedal around. Extremely natural tone. You just hear the naked tone only, nothing covered at all. I do actually have to cover the sound with EQ pedals after it, for cover it up, a bit, because to some people it's too rude, risque, and in your face. The electronics inside it, has been tailored to emphasize the skin effect of the circuitry cables. Normally it's the other way around. But this is the main trait of it. It's not supposed to be played in music that requires texturalism, or background ambient music. The main body of the tone is very blatant, and it pairs best with instruments such as an organ or the like.

One thing though, is that it eschews sounding off, when I play the G-string on any guitar, it will just filter it out as completely silent. It induces a challenge in my playing and it sounds like the G-string is totally taken off the guitar. Kicks you out of routine playing and on your toes.

:twisted:;)
    [sorry, couldn't resist] feel free to carry on piling bad puns on top of it.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, one knob only.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    dlew919 likes this.
  6. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

People need a pedal for gain/overdrive/distortion?

:cool: :p

dlew919 likes this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The overdrives I have

boss bd 2
    Boss bd2 Waza
    El mocambo
    Mooer green ts clone.

the distortion

boss ds1
    Boss ds1 40 anniversary

fuzz
    Red fuzz face.

I love the tubes screamers but not as much as the blues driver.

I’ve never found a better distortion than the ds 1. I know there are great distortions. Even by boss. And eats and timmys etc. not dissing them at all. It’s my sound.

and I’m not a fuzz guy so one fuzz is enough.

I’m a clean player mostly. I have choruses delays compressors etc.

But when I go hard. Those are my pedals.

Hiker likes this.
  8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I use my overdrive pedals usually on a lowgain setting for a slight breakup-tone.
    I prefer my amp-overdrive for a sort of mild 70s crunch and then stacking that with a lowgain od or a fuzz pedal for a more beefy tone.
    My current pedals on my mainboard are an EHX The Glove Overdrive, a Digitech Carcosa Fuzz and a Keeley Monterey Fuzz on a lowgain setting. That in combination with my amp covers pretty much all I'm looking for.

Hiker likes this.
  9. gimmebackmydog

gimmebackmydog TDPRI Member

I'm putting together my first pedalborad so I'm just kind of winging it.

I bought a Walrus Audio Ages overdrive pedal at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago.

Today I have a J. Rockett Ikon overdrive pedal being delivered.

I figured between the two of them I should be able to get some nice sounding overdrive sounds.

Maybe the J. Rockett Ikon as a clean boost into the Walrus?

I've never used any pedals before so it should be fun experimenting with these two pedals even if I don't need to use them all the time.

Hiker likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Friedman BE-OD.

11. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

The 805 can be transparent or TS flavored. The 3 band eq is really helpful. Plays well before or after other dirt pedals, also.[​IMG]

12. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

The overdrive I have

Digitech Hardwire CM-2

the distortion

Fat Rat
    Boss MT-2

the fuzz

Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff
    GGG clone of Green Russian

13. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MY overdrives -

EHX East River Drive
    Ibanez TS-7
    Dean Markley Overlord

only overdrive -

Boss DS-1

14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Little update: bought an Earthquaker Devices Palisades 2 months ago - really versatile OD.
    I'm still using rather lowgain settings and stacke the tones with my amp-overdrive or with my fuzzpedal.
    But the "voice"- and "bandwith"-controls deliver a gazillion different soundoptions.

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I had that Peavey pedal! Remember putting a swoosh on it and called it my “Nike” distortion (reminds me of Air Jordans)

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

awwww shucks, how long did you wait for your king of tone?
    jealous very very jealous. Nice box.

tah1962 likes this.
  17. Kweber

Kweber TDPRI Member

Coolmusic Insane Distortion, preferably with a Danelectro Fab Metal running into it 61VujmmAJlL._AC_SX425_.jpg DANELECTRO-D-3-ACCLAIM-THUMB-01.jpg

18. GAS Giant

GAS Giant TDPRI Member

Bogner Lagrange covers an awful lot of bases well...good tone shaping and a broad spectrum of distortions...americana od, scooped metal (including a variac sound switch that does a hell of a lot more for tone than a real variac ever did for my marshall) ...it will also do a mid heavy tone so you can do the boston/queen thing. Great for chord-based guitars.

For leads...Wildwood Mythos Mjolnir is a nice way to go.

19. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I use an MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive, which is the big rock/metal solo pedal, and a Fuchs Plushdrive which is a great OD. I also use whatever is in my AX8, but that basically just sits at the Eric Johnson Clean patch, so....

20. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I bought mine (used in mint condition) on Reverb.com before the prices got out of control.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.