1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This has probably been done to death but what's your got to distortion/ gain pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FortyEight, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks! It’s a Holeyboard. I think they only make them out of aluminum now. I also have a larger one. I got this smaller one to use with my band and is made up of what is needed to get the job done. Plus it is lighter to carry. I’m trying to keep the big board at home with other favorite pedals on it. 2FDC46FB-20C5-497F-B6F7-D4925FAA21CE.jpeg 08BAC2DD-7D7C-48FB-87FC-CE4304D5CB61.jpeg

hotrodkid and Tim S like this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Just one? The Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro. James sold the brand and now works for EVH amps, but his pedals are great.

3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Boss OD1-X and Boss SD-1 depending on if I want a modern or classic sound.

D_Malone likes this.
  4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Barber Gain Changer...

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Recording, I am a natural mesa and marshall tube tone hound. Mesa mark series just sing and have no hard to dial out fizziness.

Live i like a clean boost and OD, with an MXR Microamp as my go to boost for ‘more’ but have a couple of dirt pedals on my board.

The standout winner for me finally proved to be a Boss OD3 - completely ideal. Not too middy, nice tones into a clean amp and a good range from light and touch responsive to decent crunch. Great for rhythm and bluesy leads.

The other permanent resident is an OCD which is a very natural sounding low to high gain distortion. Loads of range, very touch responsive on low gain, versatile. Def. a classic.

The two together do most things.

A Fulldrive 3 is my drive of choice with my vintage JMP 50w. With the boost, OD and the guitar volume to dial back to clean, it just works.

6. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Two mojo mojos stacked. It’s a cheap trick

darkwaters likes this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

JHS Bonsai.

Tim S likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It would be my King Of Tone because of its versatility.
    Honestly I could get by with something as simple as my Boss BD-2.

I once famously said I was done with searching for OD pedals but I still have six plus a fuzz, even after selling 7 or 8 others.

It’s not a rabbit hole. It’s a black hole.

Slip Kid likes this.
  9. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

I play vintage style Strats and Teles through tweed amps. Unless I stack, a straight up OD pedal like the BB preamp pr OCD won’t get me into some of the heavier sounding classic rock territories. The best “amp in a box” I found for my setup is the Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe. It even has a built in boost so it can really be the “one.”

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

B409A336-7A26-41BF-AC66-E31F58CC05D0.jpeg

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have two that were made for me by local craftsmen.
    I use them both, one for distortion, and the other set as a simple boost.

Boost, Steelwool made by Danny Matthews.
    3906 Germanium Fuzz, by Patrick Gentile.
    three essential pedals.PNG

If I were to recommend one and only one for somebody to acquire for a lifetime, I would wholeheartedly offer up the MXR Super Badass.
    It's absolutely fabulous.
    I would still own mine if Danny and Patrick hadn't made the others for me.

mxr super badass.PNG

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  12. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

Digging the pedal board. Clearly home made but seems to be well planned out and looks good.

Slip Kid likes this.
  13. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I have a lot, tried a lot more, and I bet I will try or buy more for sure. BB preamp is one of those I would like to try.

Right now I use almost always a fuzz face (with fuzz high, but not at max, and controlled with the guitar's volume) in a Rat (set to a mild overdrive). I can get a lot of clean, crunchy and also very distorted sounds with that two.

14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I actually have the FAB Metal. My drummer gave it to me. I like it when it's turned down to not much distortion. But to me it sounds fake when you go higher with it......

15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

The guy at my music go round recommended the east river one and they had one for 67.50. I also saw a few of the wamplers, the RAT I'm not going to touch at 250 bucks unless it will make me dinner. Or do a lot more than I think it does... I also saw the mxl sugar drive that one of you mentioned for 70....

I mean it makes your head spin how many choices....

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Blues Breaker v1 with strat, modded SD-1 with tele, Machine Head Pedals 98.6 Degrees for higher gain sounds.

17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Two other comments....

I always thought the Boss (the orange one is that the SD-1?) was almost too much but I guess you can dial it back. Cuz I follow the dudes from Chicago Music Exchange on instagram and when they demo guitars there is many times the Boss with a Fender tube amp and it has really nice sounds to me. And not like super heavy distortion. Well not a lot at least, if my memory serves me correct.

I saw one at the store yesterday for 150 bucks I think it was new...

As far as Peavey amps go... I used to own the Classic 50 in the 90's and to me it was a way different sound then the Fenders I played through. But that was back then...

I'm so close to running down to my music go round and picking up the Classic 20 combo they have. They don't make them any longer and I like the sound of it. They have 2 Classic 30's and a Delta Blues but I don't really need that much volume.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The EHX is a tube screamer-ish affair. TBH, I prefer natural dirt from the amp over pedals, but I play mostly through a solid state amp, so pedals help a bunch.

19. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

The SBAD is a fantastic pedal. I believe it’s derived from the Guv’nor. I think MXR’s “super badass” monicker was a poor choice. I think this pedal might be taken more seriously with a more appropriate name.

darkwaters and Sparky2 like this.
  20. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

The Caline is a copy of the BB Pre (which is a based off of a TS circuit with a baxandall eq added to it).. Sonically very close and well worth the $30USD. I keep the gain well below halfway. I don't want too much crunch, just a touch of growl when I pick hard.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.