1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This has probably been done to death but what's your got to distortion/ gain pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FortyEight, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

"84 Pro Co RAT is all I use anymore.Once dialed in it is just what I'm looking for.Takes some tweaking depending on the amp.works really well with solid state actually.

jays0n and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

MXR Timmy, used as a clean boost, Xotic BB Pre clone for mid push during solo's and a JHS @+ clone for higher gain stuff. They are all keepers. I also have a Pugilist on my board, really impressive pedal.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I always love all the answer that come out of these 'fave dirt pedal?' threads.

Either learn about pedals I've heard of, but never tried, or what pedals folks like with particular amps (or guitars).

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The 'mid push of the Xotic BB Preamp' as mentioned above, is what I'm hearing from the demos of the Caline Orange BB clone, and I'm thinking I might like this.

I'm an older R&R/ blues guy that gets a good OD boost ( with the pedals I use) on a clean tone. But the other distortion pedals I have to stack with that sound, just seem to have too much distortion ( even at lower Drive settings) that take away from 'my sound' - too rock!

The BB Preamp sounds seems like something that fits!

Alex_C likes this.
  5. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I'd think I'd feel right at home with your setup.

I also get most of my dirt from my amps (Curently a Classic 30, Orange CR120H, and Micro Dark).

I have a Plumes OD on my board, but it's usually used as a slight boost for a touch of grit on clean channels, or if I want an 80s metal kind of sound I'll run it into the dirty channel and crank the drive up. I rarely use this pedal though.

I have a Super Fuzz clone (built from a General Guitar Gadgets kit) which is my main Fuzz and the only one I keep on my board.

In addition to those, I have a ProCo Rat 2, Swollen Pickle, NYC Muff, and a Behringer Superfuzz that are shelved.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ibanez TS-9

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like your board/platform.

8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

This actually replaced a [Lovepedal] Zendrive I had on the board for a time. The main reason I think is that it sounded similar but a little fuller in the low end with also a nice bit of breakup in the lower mids.

I am assuming I have the dip switches in the stock position as I don't recall changing them, although I could have - it has a bit more low-end than the BD-2.

I gravitated towards this primarily because of Larry Carlton ( Zenkudo, ) Allen Hinds ( Xotic AC / Soul Driven, ) and Robben Ford ( Hermida Audio ZenDrive ) - just great sounds from them all. The Zenkudo is the only one of those I haven't tried.

Very happy with the SD.

9. West44th

West44th TDPRI Member

I`ve been trying out a Biyang OD-8 X-Drive I picked up cheap on Ebay and liking it so far. I`m enjoying the ability to swap out op amps for slightly different flavours and it`s very nice for the price.

Edit: I`ve dug out my old Marshall Guv`nor too but haven`t had a chance to play with it much yet.

10. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Nice to meet ya, Bella!

I like your rig! I see you’re an Orange fan, too. I’m assuming the Classic 30 is a Peavey? Is that Fenderish or have it’s own flavour?

Yes, I love the effect that a TS-style pedal does to goose a tube preamp. Peaches and cream. And the addition of the Rangemaster was a truly profound discovery! I instantly understood where Iommi got his secret sauce. It’s like a ‘woof’ shaver. And with it in front of my muff-fuzz, it’s like having a second distortion effect.

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

For me, the BB Preamp works well with any guitar or amp combination. I consider it a classic.

Slip Kid and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

My go-to is a Lovepedal Eternity Burst, it's the best OD I've ever used. Very slightly mid-humpy, but less than a typical TS, with more bottom end and zero mud. I almost want to say negative-value mud, because it actually seems to *add* sparkle and clarity. It's really amazing how he did that.

My #2 is probably the Caline xotic bb preamp clone. Super versatile with the tone controls, and has a lot of gain on tap if you need it. I love the BD-2 at low gain, but dialed too high and it's just too fizzy!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

All I really need in life to be happy is a Orange head with tubes and some kind of Big Muff. Right now an OR15 and an NYC Muff are doing the job pretty well for me. I have a Boss FZ-2 and a Russian Muff as well. I'm constantly switching between the three as my taste changes around, though.

I do love a nice Boss HM-2 and a Metal Zone as well (not at the same time, haha), but that's a completely different tone.

14. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Try a treble booster into your muff pedals! Instant distortion pedal. It’s my new favourite dirt effect.

15. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Likewise!

Some people say its Peavey's take on the AC15, but I don't think it sounds like a Vox. It gets compared to Fender amps on occasion for the clean channel. I think the clean channel can sound Fender-ish especially with the spring verb, but I usually dial in a warmer-type clean sound. I dont play super clean often but when I do, I really dig the Peavey.

The dirt channel, to me, is kind of it's own beast. It's not a high gain amp but it can crunch pretty well for heavy/hard rock. Occasionally you'll hear the lead channel referred to as Marshall-esque, but I dont know about that. I'd say 'sort of' maybe. I think in the end it's it own kind of thing. I tend to treat it like a British style amp though, so tonally I run it darker than most people probably do. Being a Tweed type it gets a lot of love from Blues players. In any case it's my favorite of my 3 amps, though if I had a Rockerverb I'm pretty sure that would kick my Peavey to the back seat.

And yes, I do love the Orange sound. The CR120H is cool but I've had a weird relationship with it. I loved it at first, but then I got frustrated with it the more I worked with it. Now I'm back to liking it again after some time away, but i dont love it anymore. If I could do it all over again, I'd have held out for a used Rockerverb or something. The Orange Micro Dark is pretty solid though!

The Peavey has been converted to a head and I'm running that and the CR120 through a 2x12 (technically stacked 1x12s) with a V30 and Creamback clone.

hotrodkid and northernguitar like this.
  16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I have over two dozen gain pedals. Half of them I haven’t plugged in yet. So I don’t know which is my favorite. But the Carl Martin PlexiTone has always done well for me.

17. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

It varies, but it always says "CMATMODS" on it. But the word "distortion" is a little harsh for what I do.

18. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

My main pedal is this 80s DOD Distortion (555-A Performer series)
    C5E0E013-52E3-40AE-8C5D-6C83BC413E08.jpeg
    I use it at this low gain setting with Humbuckers and then stack on a little bit of SD-1 (80s Taiwan black label) for single coils (for a little more mids and a little boost).

19. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

OverDRIVE? Or overKILL? :eek:

lol, just kidding. I understand the addiction ;-)

20. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Once you learn to tame it, you’ll love it. About 50% of its settings are pure noise but there’s magic in the other 50.
    EC8691D2-A253-4A4B-B2DB-759F1EE1D9FB.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.