1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This has probably been done to death but what's your got to distortion/ gain pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FortyEight, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My current always on pedal is the Joyo American sound. There is an EXH East River Drive just before it, and a TC Electronics Tube Pilot on top of that.

2. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve Tele-Meister

Wampler Tumnus

newtwanger and pugnax like this.
  3. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I've got a set of dirt-types that I like to keep around, but I've only got spots for 2-3 at any time. But I usually have something fuzzy up front, then some sort of overdrive/distortion for dirt after that, then some almost-always-on preamp/overdrive at the very end of the chain right before the looper to add some mojo to everything coming through. This also allows for some really interesting/convenient gain staging. I generally play through a Twin or very clean amp, but I'm about to start experimenting doing some low-levels recording through a little 5F1 with some beefier transformers and a lower output V1 tube, which will be fun.

Fuzzy: usually a harmonic percolator of some sort. Currently a MAE Part Garden but will probably swap it out for a Dirge Evan Anguish if anyone ever decides to sell one. Never should have sold my HP-2. The main idea is to have a really thick, compressed tone out of this one, but something that is really responsive to the input level (volume knob/pedal) but not something that cleans up as a note rings out.

Dirt: at the moment this is an EAE Longsword, but I also really like the Halberd here. I also really like the combo of the Fairfield Accountant > Modele B, but I've really tried to move to an all 1590BB top-jack setup for ease of patching and general compactness, so those are out of rotation. Here I want the most dynamic range possible, but something that is also suitable to acting more like a clean boost when needed.

Mojo: I want this to be able to work as a preamp for when I'm recording with just a CAB M (where I get to pretend I have single-ended KT88 power amp in a 2x12 combo, whee), but it's main purpose is to add a sheen of grit to big reverb/delay washes. Currently a Halberd, but I really like the smallsound/bigsound f*ck overdrive here. Mine's on loan, partially to see if I can live without it, but I don't think I can, it's just not really like anything else out there.

I use this setup for experimental guitar stuff mostly, but also for synths and vocals, so that informs the thinking as well.

4. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I've got 2 answers for 2 reasons.

I have a J Rockett Archer (Klone) thats basically always on as a bit of a clean boost, so I'm not sure if that really counts as a gain pedal in this context. Since it's always on with my single coil guitars, I guess it's my go to.

HOWEVER, i think I rely on my Tube Screamer more for any sort of lead tone and I think its more essential to "my" sound, assuming I have one. On the whole, it's used less than the Archer, but is more noticeable when it is.

5. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Despite having a bunch of dirt pedals, including a Catalinbread 5F6 and a Maxon OD808, I still seem to rely on my old Bad Monkey.

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

My always on are two:

Coppersound FoxCatcher
    PCE-FX Aluminum Falcon (klon)

These are really about EQ shaping with a twinge of hair when pushed a bit.

For dirt, my goto would be:

Xotic Soul Driven - I just like how it does what it does...

tah1962 likes this.
  7. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Barber Gain Changer and Marshall Blues Breaker clone

tah1962 likes this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. Never looked up what's under the hood of this one, until now.

It's got the front end of something kind of like a Zendrive, with its mid boost basically being a variation of the ZD's voice control, and it marries that to the hardwired active bass boost found in a Boss BD-2 on the back end, and it looks to be almost verbatim (it even falls after the volume control). The one difference is the pair of dip switches that allow you to tweak the bass boost level.

Nice and simple tone control circuit, just like what you'd have in a ZD/Rat, too.

I can see how that one would sound appealing.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Rat when I use my AC15C1. I just bought myself a Revv G3 for everything else. Supposed to be arriving tomorrow. :)

10. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I'm an Electro-Harmonix Boy: I love the East River Drive and Flatiron Fuzz.

11. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

For Single Coils, one of the all time workhorses.... Boss BD-2. :cool:

For Humbuckers, these days, the full size TC Spark Boost with the switch set to Mids.

jays0n and darkwaters like this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Mine are all affordable Chinese clones- a Klon type, a TS type, a Timmy type, and a Zendrive type.

13. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I've used a bd2 for years, but I recently bought a od3, and I really like it. I set the bd2 for clean, and the od3 with a little more gain. Great combination.

BluesGuitarMart and driver8 like this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Soul Food.

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Love my MI Audio Crunch Box for convincing Marshall tones when plugged into a tube amp.

Also love my RAT, OD3, SD1, and Russian Big Muff. All have their purposes, including various stacking combinations. OCD v4 was also a great pedal, but so close in utility to my OD3 that I let it go.

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

When I've needed a crunch box, I've used the SD-1 or TS-9.

17. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

King of Tone.

bluesholyman and Slip Kid like this.
  18. philta

philta TDPRI Member

Timmy V3 15th Anniversary

19. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

MIJ Boss SD-1.

I have two, just in case.

DeepDangler and jays0n like this.
  20. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I mostly use amp distortion (Orange Rocker 15 Terror or just arrived, a Marshall DSL1hr), goosed by a Rangemaster clone or a Digitech Bad Monkey. I also use two fuzz pedals. One is a BUGGFX Raincoat, which was BUGG's take on a Soviet MUFF. I also have a BYOC 'Leeds' Superfuzz clone for hissy, spitty goodness! My distortion pedal at present is an Amptweaker Tigtht Metal Jr. It's a very versatile pedal with a 'tight' setting, a 'fat' setting and a built-in noise gate. I'd trade it for a Friedman BE-OD in a heartbeat. I may try the Joyo Uzi, which is apparently a clone.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Bella likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.