This guy might be the best talented musician in the world, Scary good.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleman1, Sep 8, 2019.

1. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Uhhhh....no. Sorry.

I had to skip ahead on video to see where the music started. And I kept skipping...

On the plus side, he IS talented, but he should front a band with equally talented players. Then he’d be on to something...

teleman1 likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

You say this, but I think every virtuoso would benefit greatly from playing with themself. Look at the satisfaction; no one talking in your ear, breathing on you telling you what to do. You'll be less sweaty two with all that lack of commotion that goes on when your not by yourself.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So this is how society finally breaks down. Damn you to hell, looper pedal!

4. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

teletimetx likes this.
  5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Phillip Schofield.

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

If I was going to imagine most talented musician I’d go with a composer or arranger, not an instrumental virtuouso.

I have to admit I’m just not interested in live looping as a form of musical art. It’s neither solo playing, which is hard, or ensemble playing, which expresses the pleasures of community. I get bored with it quickly.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

His solo stuff is a little obtuse for sure. But put him with a band like Snarky Puppy and stand back.

I will say that his knowledge of theory is far beyond that of mere mortals. I know music teachers who can't follow some of his theory.

And when you've got people like Quincy Jones touting you as the most talented musician he's ever seen, it's a little hard to dispute how good the kid is.

- D

teleman1 and teletimetx like this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

He's young, extremely talented and has probably worked a lot to achieve his level of competency. He's got a long career ahead of him, he is 100% musician and it will be interesting to see what paths he may take ahead. If you took a snapshot of any of your heroes at any given moment, there's probably an avalanche of folks ready to slag off that image.

To dismiss him so readily now is kind of pointless, as if what you see now is the total sum. Ain't hardly. Whether I care for it or not isn't germane. the kid has the goods; he can play. Maybe the point I'm making is that this is a musician who has the freedom to go anywhere. That's pretty amazing.

StrangerNY likes this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

His MA Ma plays Violin and is no slouch. I wonder if DAD is a 9-5 guy with no talent. I doubt it.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I'm so glad you managed to figure that out.

And it should be "you're", not "your".

11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I think everyone who likes or dissed this guy have something to learn and you will learn something from this video.

archtop_fjk likes this.
  12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Eym changin yer aviter to correctoman:)

13. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

In reflecting on my post in this thread, I guess one of the things I reacted to are superlatives like "...the best, most talented musician in the world...". The internet is full of "best ____ in the universe" lists, but really who is to say? The world is full of wonderfully talented musicians of all stripes and genres - thousands upon thousands of them, including many incredible musicians who contribute here at TDPRI. I've fully accepted the notion that there is no "...best of all time, anywhere..." when it comes to music (especially). But there are a lot of great ones and I enjoy them all as I can, and love hearing about new talent as well.

I occasionally listen to an NPR radio show called "From the Top". It features classical music performances by young kids from 10 to teenagers. Virtually all of these kids are incredible(!) musicians with nearly flawless and passionate performances of extremely challenging classical works on the violin, cello, piano, flute, trumpet., etc. Is Jacob Collier more talented than any of these kids?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. A better title would have been: "Oi, check out this talented multi-instrumentalist"

15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Attention! Grammatical correction for my friend Omaha!

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I fell asleep...

17. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Maybe, maybe not. This guy knows advanced theory, sings well, plays all those instruments with authoritative passion, has a grip on many modern cool useful innovations. And he can teach Herbie Hancock a few things. HMMMMM I am sure there is someone better but, who are they and where are they, or are they born yet?

18. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

"...I am sure there is someone better but, who are they and where are they..."

This guy's pretty good :)

19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I have made another conclusion, folks not caring for this guy, will not like the awesome Manhattan Transfer.

20. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.