This Guitar PLAYS Awesome, But That Guitar SOUNDS Awesome...?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SolidSteak, Mar 14, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd suggest getting the 339 set up better and ask the tech to make sure the bridge matches the board radius.
    I bought an Epi 335 Pro and looked at the 339s, but was surprised to find that the bridges had a smaller radius than the board, so the middle strings are higher than the high and low E strings.
    A proper setup usually has a slightly flatter radius at the bridge to allow a little higher action on the low E and A, which need more clearance.

WRT those Epi pickups, you could try a used set off ebay in your HH Strat but they won't make a Strat sound like a semi hollow.
    Lots of used HBs for sale, buy & try till your happy!

SolidSteak likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A good setup and a few tweaks will make any guitar sound better and play better.

Some guitars will never sound right to you or play right to you, you have to figure out which ones are which by experiencing them. Some of the problems can be fixed, but other problems will never match you.

PhatBoy and SolidSteak like this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Sort of: my PRS S2 plays awesome, stays in tune, light weight and the satin finish feels good in the hands. I’ve owned it since September of last year and finally coaxed some sounds out of it that I really liked just last night. The guitar is too freakin’ good to get rid of, but even after finding some lovely sounds, a pickup change may be in the future.

My current Main guitar is a Charvel San Dimas—in NEON YELLOW! Plays great, sounds GREAT; JB/‘59 humbucker set is amazingly versatile. And I’ve never loved a guitar neck profile more than this one, plus it’s also got a satin finish and a compound radius. I’m no jazz player, but this guitar has got me experimenting with chord voicings and inversions that just aren’t comfortable on my other guitars.

And it weighs at least nine pounds. After playing it for a while, my retired Soldier’s back is killing me.

So yeah: great player that doesn’t sound great; great sounding guitar with one annoying element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only guitar I've had with a nut too high had a nut done by somebody, it wasn't stock but came with the guitar.

Is yours stock?

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like the 339 is the one you like. A nut job and a good setup by a luthier and you should be happy.
    Be very specific how you want it set up as I'd hate to see you disappointed.

SolidSteak likes this.
  6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure... I bought it used from Music Go Round. It likely is stock - just looks like a cheap plastic nut. I'm tempted to hack at it myself, but I don't have any nut slot files or anything like that to use. I've also considered taking the nut off and sanding down the bottom to bring it down. Eh, I'll probably take it to a guy who's worked on my tele before and ask for his opinion.

7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of using a good pro, how do you like the way he set up your Tele? Did he set up your Strat?
    I am also a proponent of having a HB guitar, and SC guitar, and having a whammy around too, so I'd make both work. Lot's of great Strat pickup options out there...

PhatBoy likes this.
  8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

He actually didn't do a setup on the tele; he put in new pickups and widened the nut slots to accomodate a larger string gauge I was using. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever payed for a professional setup before, but I would definitely trust this guy to do it.

I'm definitely going to take the Epiphone to him. As for the strat, somehow it played awesome right out of the box!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Unless a guitar is really jacked up, like a warped or twisted neck...a good setup should make almost anything play well. If it doesn't sound good, you can maybe fix it with an electronics upgrade and the right strings but it may be a crap shoot.

10. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes ya gotta just cut your losses. The absolutely most wonderful playing guitar I ever owned was one that I could not get a tone out of I liked. I still miss playing it but could not justify keeping a $3,000 guitar that only got used as an unplugged couch guitar.

It was a Taylor T5z, pictured with my Tele

7EE4A4CD-7CD6-4240-AD38-053E8F84129F.jpeg

Then there was a guitar where I loved the tone but could never bond with the neck, Gibson es-335, hanging with my Tele again

1D8788C8-1DFC-41A2-86DA-A588B191400A.jpeg

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.