1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

this four wheeler could be fun...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Feb 22, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty exciting. I wonder if some technology was taken from Lunar Landing Modules. I can see many applications for this of course given how far it goes on a charge. Base price of 10,000.00 Euros. Thanks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Great articulation and surprised how well those skinny tires perform in so many different terrains. Those lower swingarm knuckles seem very vulnerable though. Pretty well thought out design and will be interested to watch this vehicle evolve. I wonder if it can pull a trailer full of firewood? I did spot a two seater version in the video.

Main thing to remember though, is that since it must be very quiet, just don't test drive one on @getbent 's property after dusk. Just sayin':D

SparkleFart, drf64, getbent and 2 others like this.
  4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I could show how to break that in 3. 2. 1...
    Hold my beer! :cool:

Some interesting engineering though.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Looks really neat.
    Unfortunately, I’d be about belly button deep or deeper in mud and water riding around here in the winter.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting engineering for sure, and what they did is similar to a number of other projects in development, particularly for an eye on military use.

I cannot get excited about the prospect of an electric vehicle in the field and the back country. It is easier to carry gas and oil to feed an engine than it is to carry a generator and wait on a charge or carry a bunch of spare batteries.

getbent and Obsessed like this.
  7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Needs mud guards! But definitely want one for me and each of the grandkids:D

getbent likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Based on the idiots that come up here with their damned four wheelers, I'm thinking this won't catch on.
    It's not noisy, they like loud.
    Doesn't look like it's got the power to dig trenches on a gravel road, that seems important. If you can't tear the crap out of gravel roads, trails and ditches, what's the point?
    I just don't see a non petrol four wheeler giving the rider the sense of superiority over us local "upnorth" hicks.
    "Oh you mow your road ditch in front of your house? Well I'm going to tear the #### out of it for you, because I can."

The people that might buy this are riding bicycles and not hurting much. Just don't see them buying one of these.

9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Might be fun for those don't want to or can't balance a relatively tame off road vehicle. Not being sarcastic.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  10. getbent

I'd love how quiet they are...

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Heck yes! not for able bodied people, but for the disabled. I know a lot of kids with muscular dystrophy who would love this technology. They could experience a real hike for the first damned time ever in their lives! And hear stuff!

And...are you kidding me? His name is Pascal Rambaud? Dude was born to succeed. There is no room for failure with that name.

MarkieMark and getbent like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like a lot to go wrong there for something that could be simpler....

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah I like quiet things too.
    Wonder what Harley Davidson is gonna do when they build an electric bike?
    Something along the lines of baseball cards in the spokes I'm guessing.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The independent articulating suspension creates lateral forces through the chassis that subject the driver to an unnecessarily rough ride.

Notice how they have to go really slow over bumps and dips. That is not made for speed. If you want a small rock crawler, then I imagine it’s fine for that stuff.

The complicated suspension also has many wear parts. There’s a reason why ‘dirt bike’ suspension (simple long-travel) is the most popular: it’s simple, inexpensive, and effective.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. getbent

I heard on the radio the other day that Harley Davidson is really struggling, that the boom from the older baby boomers is over and the biker thing doesn't excite the younger monied folks. It was a nice, long story about their strategy to shrink with their business... the story was saying that they will probably have to find a buyer or adapt pretty significantly.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

They just released a gasoline powered product in a hot niche that has some strong characteristics. A friend took an engineering job there for the e-assist bikes being more than slapping their name on open mold and OEM stuff but they have a lot of competition.

I keep some eyes and ears because they're in our state and have facilities by one of our business locations. Even with good products perception and marketing can be a challenge. My friends into the adventure moto niche and pedal bikes seem far more interested in the existing leaders in those markets.

The core of their existing base has a huge annual event near our cabin. That and the HD plant there make a constant stream of HD customers. When I see who attends and visits I don't feel optimistic. Few among them look like they're going to do the adventure category with moto or buy the e-assist pedal bikes. Moto owners I know who did get e-assist bikes wanted Trek for same or similar brand preference they got Harley - who they perceive is best.

Closer to topic, I can't imagine buying that machine but it's a totally neat exercise and example of the machining and electronics capabilities these days. Because I nerd/news out on tech stuff I wondered if there will be a two wheel something with some gyro assist like it. There are people I know who addressed age, illness and disability matters with all terrain trikes and e-assist bikes. One who had a stroke and has an off road trike is why this struck me. He says he longs for something narrow to be able to explore trails again.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We've been doing a lot of backcountry travel on foot, with the pup, and the evidence of motorized vehicles is mighty hard to erase, once the vehicle has passed through.

This reminds me of a guy I knew, who spend whole days riding around (headphones on) in Utah on a 4 wheeler and just did it to escape from his internal demons. He couldn't describe a single thing he'd observed back in those woods, because he was oblivious to all that. Tearing up God's Creation, just so he could sleep a bit better, was all he was about.

getbent and Harry Styron like this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

i have noticed that the experience of travel varies greatly with the mode, the speed and the elevation. Though lacking comfort, crawling is as rich as flying. I especially enjoy walking on land and rowing on water.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    getbent likes this.
  19. getbent

great post. I was in a terrible traffic jam yesterday. 2.5 hours to go 13 miles! I forced myself to NOT just wait for the opportunity to gain 8' and instead, really look at the terrain that I travel everyday. Not too many new things, but some.

I can relate to snowmobiling like you describe your friend. I tend to zoom down the trail for the weird floating feeling you get and the 'wowee' factor of the outdoors in general, the flocked trees and the trails that no one has traveled since summer etc...

In my day, I've done a good bit of four wheeling in trucks and jeeps and done the major trails in the west (fordyce, rubicon etc) for fun and hanging out and the adventure of it. I guess it is 'tearing up' nature to an extent, if your friend is on a four wheeler (like sxs) on a trail and staying on it, I completely forgive him.

The struggle is the whole question of the right way to enjoy nature and the right purpose. If we only see it through our lens with our rationale, we'll miss a lot. I have backpacked all over several mtn ranges, but snowmobiled and cross country skiied and skied at resorts, and ridden bikes and motorbikes, driven my car on the beach... I don't think I have caused harm to the eco system.

As a kid, we were in the Sierra Club and the NRA. We got our gun training at our elementary school and we took outdoors courses from the Sierra Club. I remember one project (when we lived in Tahoe) where it was a joint clean up day, Sierra Club and NRA (before the two were political beings) and it was great and mostly the same people were in both.

I think your friend probably got a huge benefit from his rides...even if they were just brain cleansing. If, he is a jackhole who tears stuff up, that is one thing, but if he was on the trail... hey, trails are putatively a good thing for those that would want to visit the forest whatever their reasons (provided they aren't needlessly extractive or harmful to the continuation of the forest.) There in lies the rub.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.