Thirty years ago, Trixie sold her Yamaha 600 club racer.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
To be more specific, her1986 Yamaha SRX600 single, which she rode at Brainerd International Raceway near Brainerd, Minnesota for the '88, '89, and '90 seasons. She rode it in the Central Roadracing Association's Ultralight Class.

Screenshot_20200713-133606~2.png

After the 1990 season, she stopped racing and in 1991, she sold the bike to an acquaintance of my older brother in St. Paul, and except for reports from him that he would occasionally see the bike tearing up and down Lyndale Avenue in South Minneapolis on its rear wheel, that was the last we knew of it.

Until today.

My brother still stays in touch with 'Eric', who bought the bike from my wife three decades ago this year, he still owns the Yamaha, and it is currently sitting in a barn near Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, about 535 miles away.

'Eric' is willing to sell her former race bike back to us if we would like to have it back. It has been neglected for some years, and we would expect to put quite a bit of work and money into getting it back on the road, but the appeal in having it in our garage again is undeniable. I think his price is...ok?, but the bike does hold a special place with us, so I'd be more than willing to buy it back for what he's asking.

Although produced until 1997 in Japan, as both a 400 and 600, it was only sold in the US for one year, 1986, so finding many parts for it would be a challenge.

The owner of the BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership up in Sturgis, loves these old singles, collects various old Japanese machines from this period, and would be very helpful in getting it back in the road, which is a BIG help in dealing with this sort of thing.

Nothing has been definitely decided yet, but my vote is to get the bike back.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I knew a guy who tracked down and found his old race car (a Jaguar XK120). Worn out car and he was worn out too, so he hired a couple of us to completely do a ground up restoration of the car for car shows. His tears of joy to drive that car once again was priceless. It would be the same for Trixie. No brainer … buy it.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I love when you post about the significant other. I can tell she's special and you love her! That bike is so cool. +3

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes - get her bike back.
And post some pics when it arrives in the basket.
And a few more as it returns to fighting form.
Then, as Miz Trixie burns the tires off again.
Peace - Deeve

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Heck yea!
Reclaim, restore, and relive.
You’ll hate yourself if you don’t

I had a chance to reclaim my old ‘55 Panhead but didn’t. Too busy into other things. Oh, well. Such is life

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I would give anything to have my Kawasaki drag bike back.
Get it...
But yes I bet parts are few and far between. But I would not let that stop me.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Go for it.

I have been looking at Rickman Montessa's and Zundapp's for the last couple years, wanting to relive my youth if only in the garage.
Big goal for the spring is getting the Harley out and doing some rides after having to stop for years due to my wife's illnesses. No reason not to start riding again now.

REWTX

Tele-Meister
This is great, get it and enjoy. Is it hard to have a wife that is so much cooler than you? JK, you guys are a lucky couple.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how… inconvenient… it can be dealing with older bikes (and how difficult it is accepting that bikes from the mid-80s are seriously obsolete), but between the sentimental attachment and the fact that you already have a resource for the work that will need to be done, I’d say you have to buy it back while you have the chance.