Third time's a charm?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by LGOberean, Aug 3, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yesterday evening, I did a gig at an outdoor venue. In my electric set, I used a tele (my Logan Custom "Firecaster II," the guitar on the right in my avatar pic) and one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs. In between the guitar and the amp in the signal path was my BOSS ME-70 multi-effects pedal.

upload_2020-8-3_20-46-22.png

To the best of my memory, this was the third or maybe the fourth time I have ever gigged with that pedal. Or any pedal, for that matter. The ME-70 is the only pedal I own. I bought it ten, maybe eleven years ago as an open box item at my local GC. I remember thinking at the time that this one multi-fx would either be the only one I'd ever need or else be the gateway to other pedals.

Well, the latter scenario never happened. And as for the former, the only one I'd ever need, for quite a while I thought that I didn't even need this one. I didn't like the COSM amp models through my amps, I only used it in manual mode, and I could never get comfortable with switching in and out of effects in real time.

I've excused that in the past by saying "I'm not coordinated enough to sing, play guitar and tap dance all at the same time." Every time I had it at a gig, I wasn't comfortable with trying to stomp in and stomp out of effects.

Well, coming back around to yesterday's gig, I gave it another try. In the week leading up to the gig, I practiced with it a lot at home. I still wasn't entirely comfortable with it, but it was better. And I really liked using different effects for different songs, in particular delay, Chorus+Delay, and fuzz. So, I took it to the gig.

It worked well for me on some things, but on others I still felt a bit clumsy. Part of the problem is I have a wide foot (EEE), and I wear boots. Not the pointy-toed Cowboy kind, but round toe or square toe. So sometimes when I'm trying to tap one of those FOUR pedals for banks of effects (COMP, OD/DS, MOD, DELAY) I accidentally touch something else as well. If I happen to hit the OD/DS and MOD pedals at the same time, that can engage the tuner mid-song. Not cool.

Still, it was enough of a success at Sunday evening's gig that I'm thinking to work even more with it to gain more proficiency and accuracy in toe-tapping pedals.

I'm not asking any questions (though input is welcome), or offering any moral to the story. I just wanted to talk about this. I could make my wife listen to me ramble on about it, but I wanted to talk to somebody whose eyes wouldn't glaze over after a minute.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Too many knobs confuse me ...

LGOberean, Rocky058 and nojazzhere like this.
  3. rangercaster

15965075066587071036303120501161.jpg

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There are gigs happening in Corpus Christi right now? Man, that is...interesting. Be safe out there! And good luck learning to pedal dance. I find it a lot easier to use pedals if I'm not also singing, and if I do all my dancing pre-song and just have a "louder" button to push for solos and whatnot. Good luck!

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. rangercaster

I had a bad ankle sprain years back and couldn't work any of the 27 pedals on my board for 6 months...

I had to play straight into my amp ...

I got by ...

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

mar25 126.JPG
    I have what I think is a fairly modest pedal board (7 pedals) but I've never gotten very comfortable with them. I don't sit down and PRACTICE with them enough, and so I am terrible at getting the best sounds out of them. But, since I play exclusively covers, (and on most of them I'm going for a faithful version) sometimes I just have to use one or two. Since, like you Larry, I use a Pathfinder 15R, I already have "onboard" reverb and tremolo.....but then I'll add my 12-String Emulator or chorus, or a Tube Screamer-type for distortion. I also have trouble singing and playing while accurately hitting little pedals I can barely see. Pedals are the main area of playing that I'm REALLY inadequate. :(

rangercaster likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

If you get a regular pedalboard you can space the pedals as wide as you like. I like pedals because you can dial in sounds as you like. If you have a good clean tone and a handful of pedals, you can get any tone you like.

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Stay safe, Larry G! Back in the day, I used an analogue unit called the MTI Auto Orchestra that was controlled via a chromatic scale bass pedal set and a second pedal that one could start the unit, stop it, make it play major, minor or 7th chords. I, too, wear EE or EEE shoes, so when I played the bass pedalboard, I did so with one shoe on and one off. Kinda weird looking, but it worked. I didn't really have to be talented as much as well coordinated. I use Band in a Box now, so no one-shoe dancing.

9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

the best of such a multi is that you can make the patches with what ever you like on effects on a small footprint.
    (you can make a bank of 4 patches for 4 sounds in a song for easy switching)
    and effects can challenge you to play new stuff, give it your own style and blend.
    don't know if you are in to computers, but more multi's can be setup with a computer instead with all the knobs what could be easier .

i hope you give it a fair go, because they can be a lot of fun.
    i had to use them, in my case a GNX 1 and 2, because of my former wife had Hyperacusis
    even soft sound like taking some chips out of the bag could give here pain.
    so normal playing with a amp, even soft , was no go.
    so i played for years with the GNX, headphone and music from the aux in
    it will not shake your pants, but with a good headphone it can sound impressive.
    :cool:;)

10. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

That's a good looking multi effects pedal. The multi I ever had was [​IMG]

I'm sure if I could understand it, it would be a wonderful tool, but that thing put me off pedals for 10 years. I like the look of yours though, clear dials and a sense that I could get around the sound I'd want in 5 minutes, but the ability to tweak it if I'd like.

My actual pedalboard at the moment is an American sound - Boss CS3 - Line 6 Tap Tremolo so I think that multi would cover that, give me more options, take one power supply and be around the same size. Damn, I might be looking for a multi effect, that'll cheer up the wife!

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I wear a 10.5 EE, so I've experienced the same thing. I hate when stomp switches are too close together, which is sometimes the case with the multi-FX, especially. I don't wear boots much any more when playing, but even some of the wide athletic-type shoes are seemingly not that much better.

I think that if you have a wide foot and a tough time landing on just one switch, that's an argument for a slightly bigger board in combo with more compact pedals, that can be spaced out as you need them. IMO, if you're just using a few different effects, the traditional-style pedalboard will not be that much more of a hassle than a multi-FX, but also has the advantage to being able to swap out individual effects to fine tune the sonics to your tastes.

There's also probably an argument to made here for individual Boss pedals, as the treadle IMO makes for easier switching, especially with big & clumsy feet. Just space them adequately wide apart, and your foot just has to catch the treadle pretty much at any point. Since you don't have to land squarely on a mechanical switch barely bigger than a thimble, it also makes it easier to get accustomed to just tapping the treadle down, too. Even if the Boss individuals don't provide the optimal sonics, I think they have the advantage of allowing the user to concentrate on playing, which becomes more important if you have to handle other duties as well, like singing (even if it's just backup).

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Good point above - 3 or 4 good Boss pedals are pretty cheap on the used market, tank-like in build, and very easy to use on a stage. Get the blues driver, a modulation or two (I like the TR-2 tremolo), and one of the delay pedals and you are pretty good to go.

13. LGOberean

Thanks for your concern about my safety. I am fine, and will be fine. I've been back to playing this particular venue that I mentioned in my OP since May, they book me on a monthly basis. As I said, it's an outdoor venue, and people can observe social distancing if they're so inclined.

14. LGOberean

As for the difficulty of singing while playing and trying to do much of anything with pedals, I see in the comments above that some of you relate to this as well. And for me, unless I'm playing an instrumental piece (which I rarely do), I can't get away from the singing aspect.

I haven't worked in even a duo situation in 4-5 years, with the rare exception gigs with my brother. But since he lives 375 miles away, such occasions are few and far between.

So I'm a solo performer. I sing. And truth be told, I'm a much better singer than guitarist. Consequently, if I'm using my multi-fx at all, it's in addition to playing guitar and singing. And doing those three things together are a real challenge for me.

Oh, if I can do a set it/forget it kind of effect, that's not problematic. For example, when playing "Hotel California" (as I did Sunday evening, in fact) I start with an instrumental first pass through the chord progressions of the song, with no effects except what's preset on my amp, reverb and just a touch of tremolo. Then, I tap the DELAY pedal, which has Chorus+Delay selected, and from that point forward I just leave that effect on. If I get ambitious, I might tap off the Chorus+Delay when I start the vocals, and leave it off for the duration of the song until the outro, when I tap it back in again. I can manage that.

But there are songs that I like to do that are quite a bit more challenging for me. For example, "With My Face on the Floor" by Emitt Rhodes. There is a signature riff to that song that Rhodes played throughout, not only as an intro/outro, but at points all along the way. It's really fun song to sing. It's really fun song to play. It's really fun to do that riff.

But the way I hear that riff in my head is with a fair amount of fuzz effect. I've tried playing the riff without the fuzz, and it's just not the same. So to play it like I hear it, I'm constantly clicking in the fuzz and then shutting it off again. So the timing has got to be precise.

Frankly, I struggle to get it all just right when I'm playing it in the privacy of my man cave. Until Sunday night, I'd never attempted it at a gig. But Emitt Rhodes died less than 3 weeks ago, and I thought it would be a fitting tribute to include it. So I gave it a go Sunday night...and the timing wasn't perfect. Hopefully, no one in the audience noticed it.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think of songs like Pretty Woman, which only has trem in the bridge, or Satisfaction, which only has fuzz in the chorus (well, and the intro). Having those effects during any other parts of those songs would not sound right, and they might seem easy to do if not singing, but having to sing too makes things a bit more challenging (well, it would make things more challenging for me, anyway).

...There are also a ton of songs that just have effects at maybe the intro or outro, but if they overlap with the singing, that can make them tricky, too.

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Regarding the fuzz, it might be easier to use a fuzz that cleans up well and roll it in and out with the guitar's volume knob. A Fuzz Face works well for that. I also sing and find the volume knob easier to work with than stomping a pedal in and out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.