1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Third build in the MDF series, SSS and Trem

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highdive, Oct 15, 2016.

1. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I guess I've caught the bug now, so it's head first into build #3. This one will have a plywood frame with MDF top and back, like the semi-hollow. This time I'll try to keep up the pictorial as I go along.

This is the first design I drew up for this series, but will probably be the most challenging to get right, so I saved it for last. The first two were also posted here if you want to see what aesthetic I'm going for. Links at the bottom.

2d layout:
    [​IMG]

Body frame pieces rough cut.
    [​IMG]

Body glued and marked for hollowing out.
    [​IMG]

Pickguard and mahogany accent rough cut.
    [​IMG]

The pickguard is from a sheet of tortoise I had but didn't like. Turns out the base layer is mint, which is what i want. I'll buff it to a nice shine when the final shaping is done.

All for now.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/acoustic-electric-build-pictorial.645256/

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/semi-hollow-on-the-cheap-part-of-a-matching-set.667365/

2. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

wow, I really dig that.

3. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Today's work:

Cut out the fat
    [​IMG]

Starting the cut for the inset piece
    [​IMG]

Freehand route to the line
    [​IMG]

Close matching the mahogany to the recess cut
    [​IMG]

Top and back cut out of a sheet of 3/16 plywood a friend gave me. So I lied, no MDF on this build (cause I was too lazy to go to Lowes)
    [​IMG]

Matching the two top pieces. Lots of finicky sanding
    [​IMG]

Glueing the main top piece on. I think that's it for today.
    [​IMG]

Arch Stanton, Will_White and kwerk like this.
  4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Looks great so far. I'm expecting great things after the last couple!

5. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

A little more progress...

Pickguard recess and top route. Provides enough access to install the body mounted pots and bridge pickup without rear access. I hope...
    [​IMG]

Rough fit the guard
    [​IMG]

Fill and final fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Layout. I may angle all three pickups as the bridge pickup is. Good idea, or leave it alone?
    [​IMG]

Now the neck. I am using the neck off of the semi-hollow and ordering the same neck with block inlays for that guitar. I put two layers of shrink wrap on some cut off brads and transferred the hole locations to the body.
    [​IMG]

Problem is the fitment is different from body to body, partly because my neck pocket template is crap and my skills and patience not much better. It would work, but the neck plate would look crooked. So I dowelled the neck holes and will re drill for this body.

Hopefully more work later today.

Will_White and jayyj like this.
  6. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Lots of work done today, some of that fixing my boneheaded mistakes. The biggest one being that this was originally going to be a solidbody with a wilkinson trem. But I changed my mind and decided to keep the construction the same as the others and make it semi-hollow.

Some of you may have noticed this from earlier pics, but I just caught it today when I started thinking about routing for the trem. You can see the problem in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Nowhere to mount the trem claw. :( So I had to fit a block between the bridge and neck glued to the back. Then route that from the top to get the pickup depth I need and finally, route the trem. Oh, I also made a 1/2" plywood template for the back trem route to replace the 1/4"plexi one that was unworkable for me.

I got the neck drilled and fitted and the pickguard routed and polished. Hoping for better weather tomorrow so I can get the paint on and glue in the mahogany piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ggiacomini

ggiacomini TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Looking great!

8. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

More progress. Had a decent day Sunday so I sprayed the ivory paint.
    [​IMG]

Orange peel city. Hopefully I put enough on to sand it flat.
    [​IMG]

I managed to sand it pretty flat and get a good gloss, even though some imperfections remain in the finish. I'll polish it out the rest of the way after the sides are done.

Glued up the mahogany piece and added a slight bevel toward the edge and a nice comfy radius along the edge.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see but I radiused the top and back edges just a bit to expose the wood underneath for a faux binding look.
    Dark walnut Danish oil on the sides and "armrest". I'll put poly over that and probably do the danelectro tape thing on the sides like the others, but the plywood looks pretty cool all exposed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I promise better pics tomorrow. Photobucket is giving me major headaches right now. Pickups and parts should arrive in the next day or two. Yay!

9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looking good!!

10. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Really great design - looking forward to seeing it assembled!

11. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Beautiful work :)

12. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thanks all. Getting there. The pickups and other parts arrived and I couldn't resist throwing it together with some test strings to make sure it was all going to work. I still have finishing work to do so it will have to come apart again. But, much success! I didn't do the full setup yet, but it plays great. No major fixes needed.

Aaaaaand, Lipstick!
    [​IMG]

Definitely getting different knobs and I might have a change of heart on the pickguard color.
    000_0046.JPG

000_0047.JPG

Still needs side tape and more stain and poly on the armrest.
    Back shot. You don't see it much here but I had to bust a 3/4" hole into the trem cavity in order to get the bridge pickup in. I'll patch that up when it is apart again.
    000_0048.JPG

Arch Stanton, Will_White and robt57 like this.
  13. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Cool -- reminiscent of a Reverend!

14. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Just updating after all this time with a few newer pics and a demo video. I love hearing how the builds on here sound even if its just a few quick chords.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

I like the way it looks.
    I like the way it sounds.
    Cool build.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool design and sounds a treat. Nicely done!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.