1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinning the Herd? Not a Sale, a Discussion.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bangdapoontwang, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Wondering if the rest of you go through every guitar you own every now and then back to back and review their status in your quiver? I did it yesterday and was surprised at the results. The top dog was actually the cheapest guitar I own! (Squier Custom II Telecaster) Second place was the most expensive. (Dean USA Custom Shop Soltero) keep in mind I own American Strats and Les Pauls.
    I keep reading very wise comments in threads regarding how a guitar feels and sounds to you as the most important factor when choosing different models available. Price, color, finish, etc, doesn’t really matter all that much if down the road it doesn’t make the cut when it stands trial. It’s gotta have that special something you bond with to be your number one. Even if it’s a Squier you got for $200. It gets plugged in while $2000 guitars sit in their cases.
    IMG_6823.jpg

Jim W and nojazzhere like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

always do that and re find every one of them..flavor of the week is 1998 Gibson LP, wondering why i just don't play this all the time...but then i go to bandroom there is some Japan Ibanez's and dowtuned guitars ready for certain songs...if i had to pick a top dog..it would be 90's 98 lp.jpg Japan Ibanez rg470 w 570 neck

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I usually have them mentally listed as player, project, retired or WTF am I going to do with this mess. Players are subdivided in standard tuning and alternate tunings.

Bangdapoontwang and SheldonP like this.
  4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've never had a herd. I sound like me on any guitar so why complicate things?

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

All the time! I tell myself I'm not going to buy anything unless I'm entirely thrilled and yet I end up with guitars that don't do much for me. I have one guitar left that I really don't need or want. Once moved I'm going to stand pat for a while.

Bangdapoontwang and nojazzhere like this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sell guitars, buy amps. sell amps, buy guitars. it's both a way of life and a mental disorder.

7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I keep a mental list of what's off limits at a given time, pretty much all the time. I guess nothing is really off limits, but if I had a $300 guitar that played like one of the multi thousands of dollars guitars floating around, it would be far down the list on things to sell since ...what are you going to get in return for it?

8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Ain't that the truth. :D

I swore to cut down my gear six months ago and I've got three more guitars now than I did then...

9. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Not really, took me years to get to where I'm and have gone for diversity

So one tele, one strat, one les paul, one with P90s and an archtop

Which also means that there isn't a number one as such. Sure most playtime goes to the tele currently, but I wouldn't want to give up any of them unless money gets tight for some reason.

10. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I (only) have 6 guitars but I have them all out and not hiding in cases so it's a little easier to make sure they all get played. I will admit, I always choose #1 and #2 more often than not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.