Thinline WRHB best bang for $$

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Marcus_63, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Marcus_63

Marcus_63 TDPRI Member

I have a MIJ Thinline that came with the reissue WRHB's.
    Bridge sounds OK-ish but neck is way to thick in the lows and muddy.

Real original WRHB's are way too pricey for me as are the Lollars.
    Then there is the rewind & mod conversion by Levell & Dylantalkstone...see link.

https://dylantalkstone.com/collecti...ange-humbucker-reissue-rewind-and-mod-service

Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Music style is rock/R&B/Blues

2. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Not sure which pickups are in your MIJ Thinline but Fender slightly revamped their reissue WRHBs in 2012. I have a 2012 MIM '72 Thinline with the revamped pickups which sound very nice and have never made me feel the need to upgrade. Maybe worth a try if you can get to play one. Others prefer the pre 2012 WRHB so what do I know :confused:

If it is authentic sounding WRHBs you're after I'm not sure how close those modded pickups will get you. If it's just a case of wanting less muddy humbuckers then maybe they can do that but I'd want to try them first before spending that kind of money.

Alternatively Fender are now making more accurate reissues with threaded CuNiFe magnets. Not sure of availability but if you don't like them they'll have re-sale value and you'll still have your original pickups.

3. Marcus_63

Marcus_63 TDPRI Member

I have a nineties MIJ.

4. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Need new USA Thinline with two CUNIFEs. Come on Fender!!

Tonetele and Rustbucket like this.
  5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mojotones sound great to me in my Squier VM 72 Thinline.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Switching to 1m pots is the cheapest option and likely to impact the sound and feel the most.

Fender now sells cunife wide ranges as aftermarket parts. That seems a more sensible option to me than a rewind with no details purporting to do “something”. But that’s just my opinion.

7. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

I a agree with the post above... before you spend a lot of money on a pickup swap try changing the pots on your thinline to cure the muddiness. Don’t know what the current values are on new thinlines but if they are 250 ohms then try 500 ohms. If they are 500 ohms then try 1 meg.

I have a 1976 Thinline Tele and the stock pot values are 1 meg. Best of luck.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    MilwMark and Tonetele like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like Dylan as he had a shot at me once on a spurious matter but I do agree with him and his opinion and making of CuNiFE Widerange magnets . I would contact him and ask him about his pickups and description IN DETAIL as to what he produces. He may be a d......d but he knows his stuff. Also at those prices he nay just have hit the spot. That or expensive Lollars.
    That Widerange sound is hard to get.
    Back in the early 80s a fellow guitarist had an original in the neck, an Ash Mighty Mite body and a MM in the bridge. We played many gigs together .

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Good suggestion. I'm just guessing here bit maybe 500K Ohm pots may work better if you have replacement Widerange p/ups.
    Let's face it, a few sets of CTS pots at different values is not expensive and, despite the work involved, yo may just hit on the sound you want. So, Two & 250K, two @ 500K and 2@ I meg Ohms. A little work and see how it goes. Good luck.

10. Marcus_63

Marcus_63 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input !

11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Talk to The Creamery Pickups in UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.