Thinline with P90 in the neck position

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Gunny, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:48 AM.

1. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

My friend, an avid guitar player and jam space host, has a large number of electric guitars. Most of them are semi-hollow Epiphones, his general preference.
    He's looking for a Thinline Tele fitted with a P90 in the neck and a standard Tele bridge pup. It could be a Fender or Squier, no preference on that detail. He's not looking for any P90s in the bridge location.

Does such a guitar exist? Is there a particular model name he should be searching under? Thanks.

Old Plank and Boreas like this.
  2. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

3. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have never seen one, but I like his thinking. Easy enough to make it happen with a little surgery.

I would probably start with a Squier CV Thinline and swap the top. Great guitars.

naveed211 likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

It seems Fender is missing out on an opportunity. I don’t see any offerings from them even with the Squier brand, that have a single coil bridge and other than a regular or wide range HB in the neck. It would make a nice setup if they offered one, sorta like the Custom, with either a P90, firebird, or miniHB in the neck, along with a single coil and vintage-style bridge and a pickguard sized right for the neck. And maybe a cost effective (trial) if using Squier and offshore labor.

Or maybe that’s an idea G&L could seize!

Has anyone here adapted a factory Fender or Squier (not a custom made one) to have a similar neck and bridge pickup, and a bridgeplate, in a configuration like this?

I have contemplated doing that with my Squier Custom which currently has 2 P90s - putting a single coil and vintage (or similar) bridgeplate in it.

Boreas likes this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

There's the Fender Aerodyne family from some years ago, has an arched top although not a thinline...

upload_2021-7-22_7-35-0.png

Old Plank and yegbert like this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

You can build one exactly the way you want. I prefer Warmoth.
    IMG_0202.JPG
    I realize that the P90 is in the middle position, but that is what I wanted. Warmoth made this body to my specs and did a splendid job. The sound hole is my idea and custom cut by me as well as the rout on the pickguard
    IMG_0153.jpg
    StewMac Alder thinline body converted to a brass top by me.
    IMG_0208.jpg
    Not a thinline, but Warmoth routed the body how I wanted
    IMG_0177.JPG
    Edenhaus body that was custom routed and custom homemade copper pickguard. It's not a thinline, but the same goes for custom routing

Old Plank, FenderLover and wabashslim like this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Boreas and FenderLover like this.
  10. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

11. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ah yes I was "that far"from buying one at the time, cool guitar and think I remember there was an accompanying Aerodyne bass as well.

12. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Me too, I played one in a store a few times and almost took the wallet out but passed once more. A few days later it was gone - last one.

Later I decided to try a P90 in one of my existing Teles & wasn't impressed. Those Aerodynes were poplar, I believe, and weight-relieved. They had Strats & P-basses too, and I think the basses kind of caught on.

upload_2021-7-22_9-22-36.png

Old Plank likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

"Thinline w/ P-90 in the neck"?

You have my attention. :twisted:

That Schecter PT Special looks great, and I don't know how they sell it for $600, but it is a solidbody, not a thinline.

I have a solidbody tele with a P-90 in the neck, and the body is mahogany. (The day I ordered it I guess I was trying to answer the question "What do you get when you cross a tele and an LP Special?")

My Logan Custom mahogany, 2008 - front.jpg

This tele is both the Beauty and the Beast. The latter partly because of the P-90 growl, but mostly because it weighs 9 lbs. 2 oz. I wouldn't mind the same configuration, but with the lighter weight that would come from a thinline construction, or chambered.

WTRT and Chicago Matt like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's an easy do on a Tele with a pick guard. I made one, but eventually went to a Mini in the neck.
    Second from the right in this old pic: Thinline Body, 57 Strat neck, all else custom
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    dougstrum likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I learned something yesterday wiring the guitar that I'm currently building. It is a tele-clone and will have two P90's. I'm using one of the Oak four way switches (because I happened to have one). The Oak switch will do either parallel or series connections but you have to bring both leads from the neck pickup as well as a separate ground. The P90's that I'm using don't have this - I had to take one apart and add the extra wire.

No biggie and wouldn't happen with a three way switch, but it did catch me unaware.

16. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It's no help to the OP, most likely, but this is my most-played guitar, a Warmoth body / neck "carved top" thinline with a Lollar 50s P90 neck and Duncan JD in the bridge. I've had it for a decade and while I have played many others and many have come and gone, this has never been the wrong tool for a job.

Attached Files:

BB likes this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

PS a drill and a forstner bit and a new pickguard could turn just about any standard tele into a P90 tele.

18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I'm hearing very good things about Vintage brand

Or a G&L Tribute, thinline with a neck HB, easily swapped out for a P90. I know of at least one person on here with a G&L supporting a Seymour Duncan PRails in the neck, and it sounds righteous

19. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

20. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.