1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinline Tele Twins

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ike57, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

This is not going to be my very first build but most certainly my first Tele build. It may take some time before the real building process starts because my shop is a real cold and damp place to work right now (winter) but planning is half the job so I might as well start a thread now.

The plan is to build a matching pair of thinlines. One for my oldest son and one for myself. Matching means: All the woodwork will be the same, the hardware (maybe the pickguard too) might slightly differ.

I don't mind if the specs are not historically correct.

I've got me a nice set of templates so at least the body will have the normal/correct dimensions :D :

[​IMG]

The back of the body will be made of Brazilian Tatajuba laminated with African Padauk. It might turn out looking a bit like this:

[​IMG]

The top will be made of bookmatched padauk:

[​IMG]

The neck will be maple laminated with padauk. I'm not sure about the fretboard yet but I have some nice wengé lying around. I might use that or get me some ebony or rosewood (maybe ipé).

I only recently discovered Kisekae, so bear with me if it's not all that correct but I've been fooling around with it and this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

The pickguards are different. My favorite is the black one until now (the one on top).

Haven't really decided on the hardware yet. Probably I'm going to use this bridge and tuners from GFS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know about the pickups yet. I had a look at the Neovin Noice Free pickups from GFS. Has anyone been using these? Any feedback will be appreciated!

[​IMG]

Don't expect an update soon. Weather and temperature could be my enemy or my friend during the next months. I hope (expect ;) ) to have both of them finished before October this year (that's when the next Dutch guitarbuilders meeting will be).

KBO

2. zacaroo21

zacaroo21 TDPRI Member

With the dark fretboard, the black pickguard looks wonky. I'd go with The pearloid or white in that case.

3. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

You could be right there. My first impression was: Black! But, different shades of black could indeed look odd.

I think I'd better wait ordering the pickguard material until I really need it and make some color prints first to check the looks.

Thanks!

4. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Almost forgot I opened this thread here :oops:

So, I did start this build and although it's not a very fast build here's some pics of the process so you can catch up with it:

One of the body blanks clamped:

[​IMG]

Cut two tops out of the padouk I had:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body sawn with the bandsaw:

[​IMG]

Glued and clamped the necks:

[​IMG]

Chip out in one of the blanks (one out of three):

[​IMG]

5. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Continued:

Repair of the chip out. Worked out fine but I'm going to paint the sides black so it will be invisible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two neck blanks:

[​IMG]

Routing the bodies:

[​IMG]

A whole lot of hardware: Kluson tuners, Wilkinson compensated bridges etc etc.

[​IMG]

And for the pickups: TDPRI member Oigun is going to make me two pair Original Handwound Gun Pickups :p

Both bodies routed:

[​IMG]

Routed the truss rod channels:

[​IMG]

6. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Continued:

Glued and clamped the padouk tops:

[​IMG]

The bodies again:

[​IMG]

And the tops:

[​IMG]

Preparing the pickguard material (white pearl) for routing:

[​IMG]

Almost finished:

[​IMG]

Small mock up:

[​IMG]

Glued the binding (white pearl)

[​IMG]

Made a jig for the tuner holes:

[​IMG]

Here's the result:

[​IMG]

Entrance to the truss rod and replaced the rosewood fretboards by ebony ones:

[​IMG]

Adding MOP inlay dots:

[​IMG]

Fretted both necks:

[​IMG]

I'll keep you informed of further progress :D

7. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

awesome build ike!!!

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Wow, those paduak tops looks sensational ...and love the pearloid binding - so much so that I've using it myself! Will be following this closely. Lovely workmanship too. Cheers

9. nblades

nblades Tele-Meister

Wow. Awesome!

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Subscribed! You clearly know your way around the woodshop. sir. I can't believe nobody has asked about those clamps and the whole wedged clamping station you've built. Got any drawings of those to share? I want to make some.

Admiring,
    Rex

11. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all your compliments guys!!

I've got no drawings re those jigs Rex. I seldom use drawing while making my jigs :D

I do have a couple of videos in my youtube channel though. You can find the bar clamps and the top/soundboard clamp there:

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Wonderful videos. Thanks! One question though. This never shows up in the video, and there are no pictures yet illustrating this angle, but it seems to me the nut set into the fixed vertical part of your clamps is on the wrong side to properly resist the clamping tension. I am assuming there is another nut on the "inside" of the clamp face, and the one on the outside, visible in the pictures and videos serves primarily to simply align the spindle, with the one that must be on the inside providing the resistance to the clamping force. Is this correct? Any chance of a picture of how the inside face of the spindle block looks?

Thanks. With your permission I hope to copy this very nice design.

Regards,
    Rex

13. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Correct Rex. There's a nut on the inside as well.
    It's a flaw in the video. I didn't notice this. I've added some links to pictures from the inside to the video description just now. Thanks for pointing this out to me. :p

You don't need my permission to copy these clamps. Just go ahead and show them once you've finished them.

Here are some pictures from the inside of the fixed block:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Trimmed and beveled the frets:

[​IMG]

During the beveling I use a cotton wool pad to check if any sharp edges are left.

[​IMG]

Started to shape the necks:

[​IMG]

Still needs some fine tuning but I wait doing that until the second neck is shaped. You can only take away the wood once. No second chance :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. xtemplarx

xtemplarx TDPRI Member

Beautiful choice of laminations!

On the subject of the pickups, have you played through the Gun pickups before? What are they bringing to the table tone-wise?

16. Doc Rorick

Doc Rorick TDPRI Member

Ike -- absolutely agree, those laminations are stunning!

The whole build is aces. Love the woods, the f-holed caps... yeah, the whole package. Just beautiful work.

Am jealous of your Gun pups, too. They're going to sing in the Thinline Tele Twins!

17. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

I'm not a pro builder. Far from that. So it takes me a lot of time but man do I love this hobby :D

About the Gun pickups: I haven't played them before so I don't exactly know how the sound will be but I trust Oigun on this. He knows what I'm looking for and I'm confident he will come up with a nice set of pups.

Will let you know (and hear) how they sound once the project is finished!

18. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Lookin good!

19. Ike57

Ike57 Tele-Meister

Thanks mate!

A small mock up after I routed the neckpockets to the correct depth. Just couldn't control myself :D

[​IMG]

20. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

hi Jigmaster

gonna be heck of a twin; fabulous looks.

still foot down to some veneer on the headstock ?

... juz kiddin :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.