Thinline Tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Feb 24, 2011.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

As promised last year, I have another thinline Tele build starting next week so after a long LP period... here's yet another Tele (-;
    I do call it 'Thinline', but truth is, it's pretty far from the classic 60's-70's model in both materials and design. The idea was to get the extra "umpth" from the chambered body while adding more focus and tonality richness to that low mass instrument by using a rather interesting wood combination.
    The body is a one piece lightweight Okoume (Gaboon) which is somewhere between Mahogany and Paulownia. It has the warmth of the Mahogany but with much more growl. It is also a wonderful wood to look at with interlocked grain and very wide flame movement. This wood is rare in 8/4 cuts because it's usually being used for the lamination industry. 99.9% of it is being shipped to lamination cutters before it hits the market and it is very hard to keep in long term storage for drying because it's very sensitive to decay and fungi. This blank was cut from solid lumber I special ordered about 3 years ago and I had full control over its slicing and drying schedule from green to 6% guitar blanks. I found the parts cut from the base of the trunk to be much lighter and resonant so I ended up with a few extra ordinary body blanks that can be used on this delicate model.

[​IMG]

For the top I'll be using quarter sawned hard maple and tune it to the body by thicknessing it while glued to the chambered Okoume base.

[​IMG]

Maple neck is optional but it's too different from the body so my best choice here will be a very dense 4/4 Sipo Mahogany. Sipo has a lot of punch but still warm enough to deliver nice woody midrange. It's a great "in between" wood when stiffness is required without sacrificing warmth.

[​IMG]

To complete the selection I use Brazilian RW fingerboard with nice earthy grain. It reminds me the Jerusalem mountains view from my roof top shop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... not quite my usual historically correct type build... but nevertheless, this model is a dream to play... somewhere between a Tele, Acoustic guitar and a LP junior (-; Once complete I'll do a video of course.

2. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

I could see myself married to that fingerboard... :eek:
    Purdy.

3. Voozle

Voozle TDPRI Member

Gil,
    great to see you starting another thread - always a lot to learn. But shouldn't you finish your daughter's guitar first;)?

4. preeb

She doesn't want to play any more... I'd hate to see that pink strat being used as a baseball bat or an instrument of mass destruction against her sisters.
    Maybe one day, when she grows up a little she'll let me build her a guitar, or even better, a bass.

5. preeb

Oh yes... this slab was reserved for an acoustic guitar sides/back set...
    that rare natural anomaly in BRRW his hardly ever used for fingerboards or bridge blanks.

And before anyone tries to give me a hard time about the CITES issue...
    YES It's legal.. as well as all my other wood (-;

[​IMG]

6. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

LOL, you'll get no hassles from me. Wouldn't have dared to make a lewd remark if there was any chance of the beauty involved not being legal age...

way to get defensive though :lol:

;)

7. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Thank you Gil! I've always wondered what way Fender routed their Thinlines. I've seen them chambered several different ways. For instance, I've seen some builders put a chamber behind the bridge, and others not. Also I've seen builders make one large chamber on the bass side of the body, while others make a separate chamber at the upper part of the bass side and the lower. Do you think there is one way better than the other? Would it have that drastic of an effect on tone?

8. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

I scrolled down and saw the fingerboard wood before reading the description and thought of mountains as well.

My local Blue Ridge,
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see this guitar take shape.

9. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

That brings back memories. I haven't been up there in a long time!

10. preeb

I don't know MRJ.
    My F knowledge pretty much ends at 1965 and I know very little about the CBS era. I don't even own any guitars from that period to be able to be in any position to answer that question but I imagine that the routing areas, size and especially depth affected the tonality in a very audible way.
    I just want to make clear and emphasize that this build is not based on the classic Fenders in most ways, including the chambering.

11. preeb

I can't wait to see the other blue thing in the photo take shape (-;
    Kids are the best!

12. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

This is great timing, I'm about to start a thinline build myself. Nothing better than to watch a master and see his take on one before I embark upon my own.

Thank You Gil

13. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, I understand what you're saying. I do look forward to seeing what you do with this build. It's nice to see you do a build where you're not restricted to being vintage accurate. I'm sure it's a nice change for you. I hope you plan on going into detail with the pickups on this build also. I'd like to hear what your ideas are on matching them for a semi hollow.

14. alexands

alexands TDPRI Member

woohoo, but I was hoping for another gibby build. Just maybe a hollow body or something.

Thanks for sharing Preeb.

15. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Great - I'm looking forward to seeing this thread!

Since this is not a vintage theme - any thoughts on an improved neck pocket for upper fret access or perhaps how to do the cambering to balance out the neck's weight?

I've been working on a 22 fret neck design where the whole heel is moved back about 3/8" and the neck is about 3/8" longer so that the neck meets up with the body at the ~17th fret instead of the ~16th fret - with that and a little contouring I think can get a fairly decent playability in the 16th position.

Also - on cambering I was going to figure out the center of rotation on a tele body and chamber where it would take away form the neck side of the guitar's balance put the most weight towards the bridge side.

Thoughts?

16. misterecks

misterecks Tele-Meister

Same here, Thinline next for me too. I understand it's not going to be classic thinline but I'm pretty sure I'll learn a great deal from this thread (as I have from all you others) thanks in advance.

17. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

They certainly are.

The little Guy in the picture is now two and he's got great long fingers so I'm hoping he'll be able to play my jazz bass one day.

18. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

ohh yeah..

19. 2Rivers

2Rivers TDPRI Member

Gil, Good to see you doing a Thinline. I'll watch with great interest. Curious though,
    if you had to do this build with wood that us mere mortals can obtain what would you use?

20. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

Wow, I actually got in on a preeb build thread the 1st day! That means I won't have to read through 57 pages (or 157 pages) to get up-to-date...:cool:

I think I will find this build to be of great interest, with the focus of the building being the quest for the ultimate tone rather than historical correctness.

Marty...:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.