Thinline pickup selector - are they all angled (why?)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adamel111, Jul 12, 2017.

1. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I want to assemble a telecaster (thinline with single coils) - but I prefer the pickup selector to be straight/vertical like a standard telecaster. Are there any thinline bodies like this? Is there a reason that the selector on thinlines is angled (other than cosmetics - looks more symmetrical). So, I want a body/pickguard/selector in the style shown below.

If there aren't fender/squier bodies like this, I'll have to look at getting one made. Any company have a body like this (G&L)? Bound would be awesome (at least top bound).

Also, I like the minimal pickguard on a standard telecaster - something like this G&L (I just prefer both pickups be single coils).

End product I want a gold colored thinline telecaster (gold like the J5 squier) - so I plan on buying the J5 neck cause I like the painted headstock and that will help me match the body finish. Then I need to get a thinline body with the "vertical/straight" switch and pickguard like below (but gold like on the J5 so it will be gold on gold). Haven't decided on hardware (more gold or have some chrome accents).

[​IMG]

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

How much are you willing to spend on a body?

I'm sure you can spec one like this from Warmouth.

But now that I think about, maybe not. That chambering is a different animal.

3. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I did spec something out with Warmouth but it got pretty pricey for just the body.

As for chambering - that goes back to my original question. That is, is there a reason that thinlines have angled controls? I am confused about construction. A lot of posts indicate that there are 3 chambers - upper bout, middle "behind" the bridge, and the lower bout - then the top is placed on with the cutouts for the f-hole, pickups, and controls. But then there are pictures like this one below from Stratosphere where it appears the upper bout is routed out, but the controls are not really a big cavity for hollow body - only enough to fit the controls themselves. So, are most thinlines have the big "routes" (3 of them), or just the big cavity on top, and the rest "solid" except for space for pickups and controls?

To keep cost down - I think I am going to go the direction of having a local guy fabricate me a body (he makes a whole telecaster for like $180). Actually, will have him build me a whole guitar but then put the J5 neck on it (and sell the neck/hardware/electronics that was with the guitar). Might even just buy a squier J5 and swap the neck. Then I would have 2 guitars - one which I would keep and one which I would sell (J5 body/parts with "aftermarket" neck).

If I wasn't hung up on the "vertical/straight" controls, I could buy a classic vibe squier thinline and do the neck/parts switcharoo (I would lose the binding though too)

[​IMG]

from this post: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/about-thinline-construction.260234/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Update - this thread has a PDF of several models of thinlines: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/help-routing-a-semi-hollow-tele.389894/

The '69/90s looks like it has 3 big cavities. Is that how thinlines with single coils are constructed now? With this construction - it looks liek there is no reason for the control plate to angled other than cosmetics/that is how they always did it.

upload_2017-7-12_14-35-46.png

5. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Getting close to looks (fhole with vertical control plate) but the price is a bit much....

[​IMG]

2blue2 and Macrogats like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Compare where the f-hole is located on the G&L versus Fender -- the different placement allows G&L to use a "standard" solid body T-style pickguard. But I've heard people say they don't like where it is on a G&L -- too close to the edge of the body.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

What is that? A partscaster?

It's freaking gorgeous.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm curious to know if you figure this out.

Maybe Fender is monitoring this thread and it will soon be available in the Elite line for 2 grand!

9. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

10. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I don't consider it a cosmetic choice - I think the slight angle to the pickup selector (and to the V/T knobs) buts them in easier reach as compared to the standard Tele layout. It's more naturally in line with the way your picking hand moves across the guitar.

11. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

I can't post links atm, but check out this ebay item no. 182584911007.
    Hope it's of some help.

12. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Thanks - I am checking out that seller on eBay. He has a lot options!

13. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I don't think there is a great reason why the switch is angled other than, Leo did it that way. I like it angled, but I tend to hit it with my hand when strumming more than any other guitar.

Someone here posted a build thread where they did a thinline with the switch like you desire and the control route was on the back. it was GORGEOUS!!! and probably superior to any thinline Fender has released. I am not confident of who it was but I will see if I can find it.

If cost is not a real concern, I would contact someone here and have them build it for you. You would get a great guitar.
    If you only want to drop a few bucks, then.....

Rondomusic has a couple bound thinlines that you could modify to have the switch vertical.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/GRAVITYntbk.html

I would completely replace the pickguard with new electronics that way you swap them back and forth.

here is a link to some pickguard material
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=201700847582

you could use the original pickguard as a template. cutting the pickguard would be the biggest challenge depending the tools you have.

And if you got a guitar that did not mount the neck pickup to the pickguard then you could get creative with the pickguard shape.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Someone at Rondo wasn't paying much attention when taking this photo, but I dig the string spacing!

image.png

Also, 13.7" radius on this!

This is just nutty enough for me to now be gassing for one.

Not kidding, but not black.

callasabra, BorderRadio and Zepfan like this.
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Only black or orange available with single coils.

Gas avoided.

16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Another thing:

I know you can't tell from a photo, but from THIS photo, does it look like the radius is anywhere near that flat? Doesn't make sense, because also, why would they make one so flat for more sales?

17. callasabra

Mine is supposedly a 13in radius as well but it feels the same as my SG which has a 12in radius.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

My Thinline is 12.

Maybe the difference between 12 and 13.7 is insignificant?

19. callasabra

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow! That is one lovely guitar!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.