1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinline Kit

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Stanford Guitar, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I want to get a kit to build with my son before he leaves for college. Any suggestions on manufacturers? Ideally would like to do a Thinline or some other semi-hollow with P90s. Would prefer a bolt on neck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

You could buy all the parts needed and get just what you want. Most of the kits I have seen are of questionable quality.

3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

What's a good source for bodies?

4. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Amazon, guitar fetish, stewmac, warmoth, eBay...

5. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I'm a stickler for good quality and need my tools to work correctly. I bought my son a Solo Guitars thinline kit and while the pickups are pedestrian in nature, the neck and body were very good.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

So many kits are pure junk but one source seems to stand out

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product-category/guitars/t-styled-2

Unfortunately they are out of stock on their thin line but you could sure give them a call. Be warned that they are not like many of the cheap kits where you get a lot of junky parts (hardware, electronics) which you just end up throwing out. The option of P90's will change things quite a bit, you might be into a Jr or custom.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

If the precision kit doesn't work for you then contact Warmoth (or one of the other good fabricators) to put together exactly what you want for a body and matching neck - they can do a thin line body with P90's and a neck that will work. Then add the components you need to finish it - you can buy pups and tuners from them but there are lots of other choices. You can have them finish it or do it yourself, lots of options.

Of course you have to show us what you are doing....

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've put together 6 kits over the years, 4 for myself (photo below) and completing 2 for other people who got frustrated. Kits can be fun but you have to know guitar tech stuff and be prepared to swap out parts that aren't up to snuff.

I've really enjoyed my Mosrite JR style kit from TheFretwire.com. Unfortunately, their stock seems a bit low right now post-Christmas with many models, including their T style thinline, not being available.

I also built a Carvin Bolt kit many years ago. It was really nice but it was rather pricey. I'm not sure if Keisel still has these available though. As you can see in the photo below, I did a lot of modifications to it.

I did a Muslady Headless kit in 2019 that had a number of issues. The guitars I helped on were Muslady Strats or similar brands bought on Amazon. These kits also had issues that required a number of fixes. Unless you want something challenging, I'd avoid them.

In 2020, I build a cheap Okoume Tele kit. It came out better than the Muslady kits but still had some quirks and very cheap parts that had to be replaced. The most quirky thing on it was the bridge and pickguard placement that was non-standard. The nut was very soft plastic that needed to be replaced.

kitbuilds.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.