1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

thinline binding questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buchan-caster, Apr 26, 2010.

1. buchan-caster

buchan-caster TDPRI Member

I am making a thinline with a maple top and a mahogany body and i have a couple of questions..

1. what is the dimensions of standard/average thinline/standard telecaster binding.

2. do i add the binding then finish, or finish then add the binding.

3. should i use a binding router bit from stew mac and router. or a dremel with the router bases?

-thanx

2. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

1) I'm going with 060 x .25 for mine. Check some of the many build threads by folks like jwells and buckocaster51. Guitarnut used .090 on this one.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/195748-new-build-ash-tele.html

2) Seen it done both ways. I'm going with doing the binding first. Since you have to scrape the binding anyway glue squeezeout shouldnt be a problem.

3) Most of the builds I see, folks are using a router or a trim router. Myself, I would think that would be pushing a dremel too much. Plus the router has a nice stable base to help keep you steady.

Good luck and share some pix!

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use 1/4" x .090 inch. I cut the ledge (rabbit) with StewMack's router bit. I use a router table to do the cutting. You can't be too stable when cutting the ledge for binding.

4. guityak

guityak Tele-Meister

+1 on the stewmac router bit and router table.

5. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

On my first (and only) binding job:

1. 1/4" x 0.090" Stew Mac binding .

2. As I was doing a clear finish I did a couple of coats pre-routing so the glue would not soak into the timber where it was not wanted. The continued with more clear coats after the glueing and scraping.

3. I used the Stew Mac binding router bit.

:cool:

I don't have a finished shot, this is after scraping but before more clear coats.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. buchan-caster

buchan-caster TDPRI Member

thank you all. the only question i have is what one is the white 1/4" x 0.090" on stew mac. like what number or do i have to buy bigger and resize it.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't follow the question. What do you mean exactly? The white 1/4 X .090 binding is sold by that description. Or, are you talking about the router bit?

8. HiggyDude

HiggyDude Tele-Holic

They are referring to the size of the binding and the size of the channel cut by the router bit.

Stew-Mac binding - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Plastic_binding/Black_Plastic_Binding.html

See the item marked 5789 .090" x .250" (2.29mm x 6.35mm) - that is the size many use (I use it too) for the binding. You can find the router bit and appropriate bearing to make that size channel for the binding on the Stew-Mac site. Use a router table and cut some practice pieces and ensure the binding fits properly.

9. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

One thing to watch out for is the input jack hole as you are routing the binding. You can take a divot out of the top before you know what's going on if you forget about it. I might suggest doing the binding channel first and then the jack hole.

Not that that ever happened to me or anything. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.