Thinline 69 (single coil) - get snarly pickups or clean pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by adamel111, Jul 28, 2017.

1. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I am putting together a thinline 69 (single coils). Wondering if cleaner pickups or snarlier pickups are better with a thinline body. I'll point out that I don't want really high output pickups - just a little more snarl/output than really clean pickups. The thinline body is supposed to round out the tone a bit - so maybe the clean pickups are better (does the snarl get lost in the hollow body sound)?

Clean pickups: I already have a set in a CV 50s pine tele. They are from a custom shop tele (twisted tele neck and "hot" nocaster bridge) which is a classic/vintage sound that I do like.

Snarly pickups: I'm thinking pure vintage 58 or 64 pickups.

I'm trying to decide whether the snarly set goes straight into the thinline, or I swap the clean pickups into the thinline and drop the snarly set into the CV. I guess I'll find out when I get the thinline together (might be a bit though - super busy but I can't turn off the guitar part of my mind!).

2. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Oldish, but I'm curious. What did you end up going with?

Kriticaster likes this.
  3. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes I’m curious too...

I’m building a Thinline tele with swamp ash body (my avatar pic thingee)
    And have gone for some super cheap ebay Alnico pickups just to get the guitar together, hear her... and eventually upgrade to the perfect set...

But interested in what you found...

4. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Hi - slow process on the build - not together yet. I have pure vintage '58 waiting to put in it when I have it together. I did get a body ordered but am waiting on finding a neck that I like/want (anybody have a John5 telecaster to sell me, or just the neck?).

In the meantime, I did pickup a squier VM thinline (WRHB) in a trade. Feels great in the hands and sounds good unplugged, but the WRHB that are in it are not my thing. I also ended up grabbing a squier affinity telecaster (orange) that I am going to use to test pickups (and I just like orange and want a bang around tele). I have some pickups I to fool around with and hope to get to that soon.

Kriticaster likes this.
  5. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Here are some pics. Orange telecaster came with white pickguard but I'm going to swap it for hte pearloid and drop in a railhammer tel90 and see how it goes. But I'll probably test the '58 pickups first with the white pickguard.

Also showing off some amps that I picked up (Silvertone and Harmony) to add to my existing amps. Now I have to find time to do all this/play! download.jpeg 402653941_70e9b832ee.jpg IMG_20180503_213643.jpg IMG_20180428_120858.jpg

Attached Files:

Kriticaster likes this.
  6. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

And here is basically what I want my finished thinline to look like with minor differences (I love goooooooooold - but the frost gold finish of the John 5). Pretty close - the differences are that I'm planning on a rosewood fretboard and painted headstock (from John5 squier telecaster) and binding will be cream/white like the John5, and this same shape pickguard but gold (all gold parts) - although thinking the neck pickup might stay chrome for contrast. thinline telecaster gold bound.PNG

Kriticaster likes this.
  7. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All very nice looking big guitars (orange works really well!) and the amps are making me jealous!

That is going to be one very gold guitar! I think yes, keep the neck chrome for contrast!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.