Thinking seriously about getting a 2018 LP Studio. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Whatizitman, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

They came with 57 classics, neck binding, and hard cases. A few good deals left on new ones.

Opinions on 57 classics on LPs? Reviews seem divided on that. I’ve never had a chambered/lightened Gibson. That make much difference in tone?

Flaneur, akuster777 and Greggorios like this.
  2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I like that smokehouse burst one. I’m actually looking at a special edition Epiphone les Paul studio on Craigslist and digging it pretty hard right now. It’s a pretty unique one I haven’t seen before. But... Idk i’m Supposed to be downsizing and saving up for a full helix or a Jeep or something... I can’t remember with this les Paul staring me down. I’m afraid I might buy it over the weekend if it’s got the slim 60’s neck profile...

Greggorios likes this.
  3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I bought one and absolutely love it. Unfortunately it has caused me to re-evaluate My thought on a"heavier" LP so I'll likely get an ESLP and call it done.

It was built on my birthday per Gibson:D

4. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

We still have a '92 black LP studio with the ebony board and the gold hardware (not a fan of that gold hardware but, oh well...) I can tell you, that guitar is something else. If you ask me, they're still a value.
    You're getting a raw LP without the exaggerated cost you'd pay for a figured top, maple is maple.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

There are mixed opinions on the 57 Classics? Except for the “I can’t own anything but boutique pickups” types, just about everything I’ve read on them has been good. I have a ‘12 Les Paul Traditional with the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus combo. Love them

The Pickups won’t be the problem if you don’t like the guitar.

8barlouie and Whatizitman like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife bought a 2016 or 2017 Gibby LP Studio. The best LP I have ever played and I spent about two years looking for an LP back before 2010. Not sure what happened or this was just luck that she picked it out at a GC. The neck seems chunkier than others. She primarily plays bass, so I rarely see it, but when I do, I rip into my Santana stuff. Destined to be a family heirloom.

Edit: Oh, and the non glossy neck is a perfect feel right out of the box.

Greggorios and OldDude2 like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve had a couple LP’s with the 57 classic neck/classic plus bridge combo. I absolutely LOVED the 57 classic neck pickup in both of them. Did not like the bridge pickup in either of them. Brittle, harsh, weird tonality I could never dial in to be “right” to me. Replaced it both times with a DiMarzio Air Classic and was very happy. Smoother and more musical top end and a much more traditional mid response.

As for the guitar itself, great instrument. I’d have no complaints about playing one.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Whatizitman

I had an early 90s studio, wine red with gold. Bought it new off the GC rack. It was absolutely gorgeous, sounded and played great. It was heavy, but that didn't bother me too much way back when. It was not very consistent. I got tired of having it pro setup every few months. I attempted some "work" on it by myself and almost killed it. After a good luthier brought it back to life, I sold it and bought a MIM tele I still play everyday.

I'm almost ready to take the plunge on another Gibson. I'm prepared to deal with the extra love it will require. But I also wanna know a bit more about how the studios are nowadays before I do, if I do.

9. Whatizitman

Yeah, that's kinda similar to other reviews I've read. I guess the bridge in the 2018 is the 57+. Does that combo work better in this way?

EDIT: oh sorry, you said classic plus. Gotta werk on my reeding scills.

10. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

They only had those in Ebony, Alpine White and Wine Red. Ours came new out of a small little guitar shop (purchased in 93) and came with that triangular Gibson gig bag with that electric blue lining.... Still today, it plays great.

Two things I don't like in guitars, veneered tops and gold hardware with the exception of the Mary Kay Tele/Strat/LP Custom. I don't even like the gold hardware that came with our SRV strat, although it didn't fade (and that one is almost as old as the Studio).

We're vintage freaks here, I know about Jimmy Page's Les Paul but a LP with Grovers? Come on now... LP studios with figured maple? Gibsons with faded finishes? Strats with veneered tops? Why is it that some people are always trying to reinvent the wheel? :lol:

I think one of the problems with new Studios is that Gibson was trying to make them into something they're not. They're not the LP Standard, solid colors fit them best. Just my opinion...

Every time somebody brings stuff like that up, the 90's, I miss the 90s.... LOL

Whatizitman and OldDude2 like this.
  11. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I have a set in a 93 MIK Epi Les Paul.
    And a Gibson LP Jr - Bridge Only.
    The Alnico II's are my favorite buckers.

However, I prefer them without the covers on them.
    Being a warmer PUP, I like the sound better when uncovered.

I always swap out capacitors for Oil in Paper types.
    I'm able to get more of a "Cocked Wah" type of tone shift this way. Like Ronno's Les Paul tone on the bridge, and a decent Peter Green tone from the neck.

FG

Whatizitman and Greggorios like this.
  12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I realized there's not enough images in this thread - here's my forever guitar.

IMG_0843.JPG

13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Every LP Studio I’ve played was top notch. It’s like the Studio wears a slacks and sport coat whereas the Traditional and Standards have business suits and tuxedos. The 57s are awesome imo. Just a tad hairier than a true PAF. Perfect for my taste.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Only thing I can add is I had to play about 25 lps before I found the right one

Inconsistent

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Too much drama with that brand, from fragile headstocks, excessive weight, and tuning stability. Last Gibson I looked at the seller did not disclose the repaired headstock fracture -- I found it after driving out to take a look at the guitar. I thought "what am I doing even looking at these things, so many other choices out there". And then the general Authentic issues going on with old and new management, why reward them? Turned me off of even looking at Epiphone or any other brand in their portfolio.

16. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

1. 57 classics are nice, clear vintage style pickups. I love them in the neck of an LP, I think they're brittle in the bridge, but you may like it. Putting something a bit warmer in there is not a big deal if you're not thrilled.

2. Chambered Les Pauls sound different from the solid ones, not worse, just different. They have a little more zing, less mids. I like 'em.

3. These are great gigging guitars, great tone, nice balance and not too precious to take out.

Also -- fragile headstocks -- take care of your guitar and it won't break. It's an instrument, not a rake. Excessive weight -- Studios are all in the 8 - 8-1/2 lb. range, same as most Strats. I'm happy with anything 10 lbs or less. Tuning stability -- get your guitar to a tech who will cut the nut properly, and string 'em up correctly, and a Gibson stays in tune as well as anything.

MilwMark, Marc Morfei and OldDude2 like this.
  17. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yay to all guitar purchases my studio is fantastic donner1 (2).jpg

18. Whatizitman

Crazy thing, I never knew about the fragile headstock thing when I had my studio in the 90s. If any guitar should have been a candidate for the headstock breaking it was that guitar. For several months I didn’t even have a case or gigbag. Played it and carried it everywhere. Didn’t use a stand outside my house. I found a non-Gibson case at a pawnshop that I used for years. It didn’t support the neck at all, so I kept a rolled up hand towel in it to prop it up. Took it on a plane with me. Stashed it in closets. Played however many gigs with it. Tried to do “fretwork” on it, with absolutely no vicing or supporting the neck while I did meatball surgery on it. Never heard a thing about Gibson necks breaking until long after I sold it.

The way the universe works, wouldn’t be surprised if the buyer looked at it crosseyed the next day, and it fell apart into tiny bits.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

So,
    Whats the verdict?

Did you get one?

FG

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a LP Studio for many years. Finally sold it 'cause it was too heavy for my aching back. It's a great guitar. '57 Classics are a big plus IMO - I'd rather have them than the usual 490R/490T the Studios usually come with.

Also, I'd shy away from it if it has gold hardware. Mine all rubbed off the pickups and it looked like crap over the 20 years or so I had it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.