1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking of swapping out my Fralin....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 1962guitargeek, Jul 4, 2010.

1. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

....Blues Specials. I use to love them, but I guess my taste has changed over the 7 years I've had them. They just don't sound "straty" enough to me anymore.

I've played with the amp settings, tone caps, TBX, no TBX over the years, but as B.B. says "the thrill is gone".

I have a set of Bill's Wildegate 280's, I like them. I also have a strat with some Lace Hot Golds, they rock too.

I've been thinking about a set of Fender 57/62 pickups. I'm looking for that classic "quack" and "cluck".

Any constructive suggestions and opinions will be appreciated.;)

Thanks!

-Big Ray

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe try messing with pickup height? I tend to set Strat pickups lower than I set Tele pickups due to them having more magnetic string pull, but there is a range of adjustment where you don't get that "Stratitis" if you don't get 'em too high.

3. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I've adjusted and readjusted...I'm not knocking them, I think I just need a change....

4. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

I just took the bs out of a tele. It happens.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the 57/62s, and they are classic, the CS69 also are. The 57/62 bridge PUP is out of that Strat, I may stick a baseplate on it and put it back in. I put an 8k ceramic for bite and shelved the 57/62 bridge PUP for a while. It is not quite pronounced enough for me, at least for a while...

Don't skip over the RIO choices or the dimarzio vintage voiced ones either.

6. campfire

campfire Tele-Meister

Lollar "Sweet Spots". Super stratty and tons of quack. Helps to use titanium tremblock & saddles.

7. Janitor Julius

Janitor Julius Tele-Holic

Whatever the case, at least guitars are a lot more understanding than women if you're not as jazzed about their mojo as you used to be. Swap the pups around for a few months and you may even come back to the bs and be more satisfied than ever. I think the reason a lot of people swap so many things so often is cause they either don't really know what they want, or what they want doesn't really exist. Well enough is best left alone.

8. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

These are actually De Temple SweetSpots! Quite nice too!

9. campfire

campfire Tele-Meister

Detemple designed them along with Jason Lollar. Lollar actually makes them, Detemple sells them through his website.

The reason I called them Lollar Sweet Spots is because Lollar is the one that makes them.

10. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Hi, Thanks for that INfo, I did not realize that.

11. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

My favourite strat pups but they are pricey. No problems getting chime and quack with those.........

12. campfire

campfire Tele-Meister

Yeah, and they are the most "even" and balanced set I've ever heard or played. The flat rather than staggered pole peices help with that. Not too trebley, not too bassey, not too middey. (is that a word?:confused:)

They are most definitely too pricey, though. I think a Detemple tele or strat starts at about $7000.00!!! 3 years to make!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.