1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking of retiring to Duluth GA area...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rdwhitti, Jun 3, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I will be retiring in about 3 more years and my wife and I are looking at potential sites. We are looking primarily in areas with a Korean community (she is Korean born) which limits the possibilities. We visited Florida in December and although she would move for me it is not the best for her since there are extremely few Asians in Florida. We will be visiting Atlanta and Duluth later this year for vacation and I was wondering if there were members here that could help to point out the pros and cons of the area. We are currently in Austin TX and it appears that the Atlanta area is about 5-10 degrees cooler most of the year with about the same humidity but considerably more rain. I have looked into taxes and it looks like SS and retirement income is mostly tax exempt, and the property taxes are lower too (Texas has extremely high property taxes).

dented likes this.
  2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I live a bit south of Duluth. Like most popular areas of metro Atlanta, it is overdeveloped by many standards, and depending on where you’re trying to go, traffic can be horrendous. Gwinnett County, where Duluth is located, is very developer-friendly, so infrastructure is usually behind and trying to catch up with rampant development.
    As far as taxes go, Georgia is one of the remaining states that has a state income tax, exemption of SS and retirement income is news to me. There are a few breaks for senior citizens, but doesn’t seem like much.

Doctorx33, Pickcity and DannyBuffalo like this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Traffic is terrible, but hey, there's a new, bigger Music-Go-Round there.

4. DannyBuffalo

DannyBuffalo TDPRI Member

I've lived in Atlanta, the Decatur area and now out towards Stone Mountain. Traffic in the NE Dekalb and Gwinnett area is mind boggling. It makes Duluth seem like the farthest place on earth. But since you'll be retired, that may not affect you as much.

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Traffic is awful. My office is in the Duluth area. That's why I'm up at 5:00 AM right now, so I can leave home early enough to avoid some traffic. On Friday, it took me nearly 2 hours to get home.

So far as housing goes, fewer new subdivisions are being built in the area. Older ones are getting rundown as they get packed with renters who don't give a ____ about the neighborhood. There are exceptions to this so you have to choose a subdivision wisely.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  6. DannyBuffalo

DannyBuffalo TDPRI Member

Truth is that all of Atlanta Metro has pretty bad traffic. However, there is usually most of what you need within about 10 miles as long as you don't have to commute.

Jim W and Doctorx33 like this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Many people seem to be moving towards the Villa Rica area.

dented likes this.
  8. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

it's nice around Duluth, GA. they've gentrified the downtown area. if you're not commuting traffic shouldn't be a huge issue. you have access to Atlanta, always cool stuff happening.

9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If the county is developer friendly the traffic will only get worse and worse.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I will say that the prevailing relative humidity in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is much higher than it used to be in the 1970s. Human activity is having a real impact. But it is still palpably less than Shreveport, and by the time you're over in to Mississippi, you're looking at significantly higher relative humidity than Dallas/Fort Worth. By the time you get over into the Atlanta area, you're sopping wet.

Paradoxically, it still remains the case that Atlanta metro has long term water supply issues. I guess they'll come up with some kind of technological solution, but the Chattahoochee and the smaller creeks in the area just don't amount to much and the folks to the North of the Atlanta Metro are gonna fight like grizzlies to keep their water and not have it diverted south.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

And, the way the roads are laid out, makes no sense and so often there's no straight line path from where you are to where you need to go. Bottlenecks galore.

Having said that, I found a backway route that somehow the Nav systems haven't recognized, and made a weekday, midafternoon "raid" down into Alpharetta from the Cabin up in western North Carolina. Cut almost 20 minutes off the one way time, from previous efforts. Amazing, as the kids were still in school that week.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I couldn't speak to Duluth area specifically. But in term of quality of life, culture, etc..., probably not a huge difference than Austin. But probably closer comparison to Houston. I don't think Atlanta traffic is much worse than Austin, which has changed dramatically over the last few decades in that regard. Weather is muggier in Atlanta, IMO, which makes it feel hotter during in the summer. It's the southeast, so it's more like Houston than Austin. OTOH, Austin's summer is 9 months long. Houston goes to 11. Georgia actually has springs and falls. I've never met someone from Atlanta tell me they didn't like living in Atlanta.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

14. Whatizitman

Austin's very similar in that respect.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

No offense, but please don’t move to Atlanta. Too many people here already.

The other guys aren’t kidding, traffic here is epic in its madness. Especially in the area you’re looking at.

bgmacaw likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Traffic enforcement is a major income source for the Duluth police. However that hasn't deterred people here from texting/Facebooking/etc while driving. Recto-cranial inversion is the common driving mode in this area.

cactusrob and Doctorx33 like this.
  17. boris bubbanov

Austin is a much smaller place, in terms of numbers of people, and it is worse in a way, in that a city as small as Austin should have such an incredibly dumb roads layout. People have to come and go from Atlanta to use their Airport Hub, and Austin has no such function AND part of what makes Atlanta so miserable is the way all ALL ALL the Interstates in the area go deep into the Atlanta scrum - meanwhile, people on I-10 for example, headed cross country never even see Austin. They see Seguin, they see SA, they see Kerrville. I-35 messes up Austin some, but it isn't a cross country crossroads. Actually, Austin could've benefited from a limited access corridor running at right angles to I-35, but it is kinda late now.

Btw, I know lots of Ex Atlanta people. Go to Chattanooga (and to some degree Nashville) and find all the Ex Atlanta folks. And those who have been forced out of Atlanta and now they're in Cumming, Dahlonega, Blairsville, Clayton, Rome, etc.

Atlanta needs an Outer Beltway like this I-840 that Nashville has. So much through traffic on I-20 and I-75 that's got nothing to do with Atlanta or its suburbs.

bgmacaw and Whatizitman like this.
  18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Fixed that for you.

19. Whatizitman

East/West travelers don't go through downtown Austin. But North/South does, and a big part of it is trucking. I35 is one of the main US north/south shipping and transportation corridors. In the last 15-20 years they "addressed" it by putting in tons of bypass toll roads, some of which go nowhere near residential areas, and all of which make money for private investors. Guess which vehicles don't take toll roads? Trucks and travelers. West Austin (the wealthy side) can avoid some of that with non-toll beltways that actually work. The rest of town not so much.

I'm just sayin' traffic in Austin ain't much worse than most larger US cities, Atlanta included.

20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Cherokee county would be better, it is less developed and therefore cheaper but still within driving range of Metro Atlanta (though traffic is always a hassle, buts thats anywhere in greater Atlanta)

Cherokee county is in the foothills of the appalachians, so a bit cooler in summer and winter.

this might help:
    https://www.topretirements.com/reviews/Georgia/Cherokee_County.html

property taxes are much cheaper in Georgia than Texas, and electricity is much cheaper as well.
    we also have these things called "trees" that are everywhere and another thing called "Lakes" that are like large bodies of fresh water. We also have an area similiar to "hill country" in Austin, we call it North Georgia.

Georgia goes from a couple thousand feet above sea level, to sea level, so north of Atlanta is hilly and south of Atlanta is flat or flatter. Soil in north georgia is red clay, soil in southern georgia is more sandy. Top soil is a rumour, I have seen pictures of it, but whenever I want to grow something I have to make my own.

Georgia does not tax Social Security retirement benefits and provides a deduction of $65,000 per person on all types of retirement income for anyone 64 or older. The state's sales tax rate and property tax rate are both relatively moderate. Georgia has no state inheritance or estate tax.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/georgia-retirement-taxes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.