Thinking of New G&L ASAT Junior II

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BuckNekkid, Nov 11, 2019.

1. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I've been wanting to add a Tele to my collection (to even things out; I have five Strats and four Teles). One of my Strats is a G&L Tribute Legacy, and it's a fine guitar.

The other day, I came across the new ASAT Junior II, and the first thing that got me was the appearance. It's (to me) a gorgeous guitar! Then I read about the P90s and the 12" radius neck, and said to myself, "Good golly, this strikes me as a Les Paul in Telecaster clothing!" The only thing I can't find out is the weight. It's mahogany, so I'm guessing it's heavier than a feather. I have a query into the seller (there are many, but I chose one).

So, anyone got one? Any recommendations, yea or nay? Adding a G&L to my Tele lineup makes perfect balance, so I'm not shy of the brand.

[​IMG]

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

If that were a thin line I'd be thinking Fender ES-335.

Talk about parallel universe stuff...

That's cool.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Got notice that it's been sent to shipping. Must be a slow boat from China (Indonesia), because it's gonna take a week to get here.

4. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

It’s a good looking guitar, but I’m partial to ASAT’s. Please let us know how it plays.

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think UPS and FedEx have moved to their "holiday shipping" mode - add 2-3 days to normal shipping times to cover themselves if there is a delay.:eek:

6. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Kinda reminds me of the telecaster jr from the 90s. What's the scale length? My Asat has a 12" radius. I think you'll like how flat the neck is and how well G&L's are built. Keep us posted.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

That's just STUNNING.....When your post title said ASAT Junior, I was picturing a single P-90, like a Les Paul Jr. I love the red finish over mahogany. I assume a 25 1/2" scale? I like my Teles with their 24 3/4" conversion necks.

8. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been drooling over one of those myself. Can’t wait to hear what you think about it.

9. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

It arrived today! Originally scheduled for delivery next Monday, I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was coming today. That caused me a little inconvenience, because I've been working from home, so I had it shipped to my office, expecting to be there Monday. But I like me new geets, so I hopped in my car and went and fetched it.

Unpacked it and found it was even in tune! I like to let new guitars acclimate, so I didn't plug it in, but I did run through some chords and riffs just to get a feel for it.

I do like the neck! As I posted originally, I looked at the specs and said to myself, this is a Les Paul in Telecaster clothing! The scale length is 25 1/2" and even the Brazilian Cherry fingerboard (over a "hard rock maple" neck) reminds me of the LP rosewood boards.

Oh, yeah. Pics. No NGD is complete without pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zippofan, Jim622, elmicko and 5 others like this.
  10. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

Second picture makes the bridge p/u look larger than the neck...is that so?

11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Oh myyyyyy...that is gorgeous! Congrats and HNGD!

12. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Must be the camera angle. They are specifically matched Paul Gagnon P90s.

13. Teletubbie

Teletubbie TDPRI Member

Looks gorgeous!
    Didn't Fender do a P90 mahogany telecaster a few years ago?

14. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

That's a really nice telepaul!!!!

How does it play?

I'd love to compare it to my ASAT Special Tribute. The difference is jumbo MFD vs P90..... that would be very intetesting!!!!

Where do those P90 sit sonically?

15. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

"Telepaul," I like that!

Here's my first impression playing it: The neck is very much like my ES-335. I get the feeling it will get smoother with successive playing. I really like the placement of controls; the 3-way pickup selector sits right where I can flick it with the pinky of my playing hand. Volume and tone really do adjust the sound. Which goes from being a really twangy Tele to a roaring, growling monster. There's some terrific sustain. I haven't added any pedals to it, yet (I play mostly clean, anyway) so the range of tones is superb! The songs I'm using in my current playlist include an extended version of CSN&Y's "Long Time Gone" and the Beatles "A Little Help From My Friends," which let me explore different sonic expressions, and when I go to a 12-bar blues, the guitar feels and sounds right at home with bends, slurs, hammer-ons, etc.

I think I'll keep her!

Les Paul lover and SuprHtr like this.
  16. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Sounds great!!!

I can hear a few parallels with my ASAT Special Tribute, though I assume your P90 are a bit more mids prominent than the jumbo MFD pick ups in the special.

But roaring, growling and sustain I certainly recognise. I'll have to try the traditional telecaster twang rolling the volume back - I haven't really tried it or actually looked for it, as this isn't an area of particular interest to me. Still, I'm curious!!!!

The special does beautiful bell ringing high end with the plain string, and snappy full low end. I'd really like to compare that to those P90. I bet they can do pretty much the same things, with their very own distinct stamp on it.

In any case, if yours is equally as good as mine, you probably have a lifer. I've bought guitars worth 3 to 5 times what my ASAT Special tribute cost, and not be any better (after some fret work). I did the fret work myself, but even if i had to pay someone to perform the fret level and dress, I'd still be well ahead on spend compared to some of my other guitars.

It looks like you have a great looker and a great player.

17. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Capture+_2019-11-23-18-24-02-1.png

looks a ton like the Jimmy Eat World signature model, the JA-90. also a really cool guitar

Les Pauls give mahogany such a bad name. my brightest, punchiest, and lightest solid body tele is mahogany...

Fretting out likes this.
  18. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dang I have some serious GAS now!! That thing is a beauty!! I’m going to be staring up a roadhouse rock ‘n roll band this spring and those P-90s would be the perfect tone for that.

19. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

You're likely in luck! It's a brand-new guitar from G&L: http://glguitars.com/product/asat-junior-ii/.

And even better, it's affordable!

Les Paul lover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.