Thinking of moving -- Portland or Seattle?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by a.miller, May 11, 2013.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Please. Most people here are of the opinion we already have far to many Californians.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've been wanting to move to Oregon. Both my wife and I have a lot of our friends up there. For some strange reason, they all decided to move up, and that includes my Mom and other family members. It's weird. Buttttttt, before I consider moving there myself, the work thing has to be figured out first. Toto,s Dad was right on the money.

Good reasons to move up. The actually have different seasons, lots of greenery, nice people, neat places to visit, salmon, our friends, part of my family, lower rent and mortgages, no sales tax. People put your gas for you. A drawback off top is higher property taxes. Prices for general things seem to be a little cheaper.

3. Jimmy Row

Jimmy Row Tele-Meister

Portland is full of people from california (meeting a native oregonian in portland is rare), rent is skyrocketing, property tax is off the hook, the roads are crammed with IDIOTS of all varieties, water and sewage rates are the hightest in the country, the hippocracy of local politics will drive you mad, servers at restaurants act like their ***** don't stink, the live music scene is pretty flacid, and EVERYBODY stares at glowing screens constantly.
    But sure a real beautiful city with lots of great restaurants.
    If you do move here good luck finding a rental not in BFE for under what you are already paying. Want to live in the outskirts of portland? Those areas have that strip mall applebees/bestbuy/home depot feel to it, so what's the point?
    Yes there is no sales tax, but they get you one way or another.
    Don't move here, go somewhere not ruined ruined yet.

4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Said by a true Oregonian...haha.

Trying to keep us out of your area? I usually get the, "yeah, it rains...alllllll the time, you don't wanna move here."

:D

5. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Tacoma might be a compromise ;^P

I lived in Portland in '70-'73 so can't help much. I enjoyed the variety of terrain
    especially the coastal areas.

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Good idea. Besides, I hear they don't sleep in Seattle.

Jim

7. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Not sure about that much rain. I have allergies to molds, which might be a deal-breaker.

8. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

that ain't mold its moss :lol:

9. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

I don't get all the hatred for Californians. 'Cmon up, man! But yeah, it does rain all the ****ing time. It's not a rumor. I've lived here in Seattle my whole life. You will miss the Southern Cal weather.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Fresno/Clovis area. Big college, lots to do, hot hot hot in the summer but mild mostly... near a million places to fish, hike and camp. Good family areas, lots of work if you have SOME skills... Air quality can be iffy depending on where you live in the area.. I used to be over there for work and was consistently surprised by cool places I found in the vicinity... and kings canyon... wow!

11. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Move up in the mountains with me, away from the cities and crazies. :)

Portland, because there's no sales tax.

12. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I don't get the impression that he's trying to keep anyone out; that battle was lost decades ago.

While he may be (slightly) overstating the rarity of native Oregonians, he's pretty much accurate on the taxes, the increasing rent, and the strip malls.

In the first two years I was here (moved up from Sacramento in 2005 when the wife finished school), our rent for a 900 square foot apartment just across the river from downtown went from $500 up to over $700, and the same place is now nearly $1000. Granted that's not much compared to SoCal, but incomes are much lower here too.

Beaverton and the westerly sprawl areas are really just like the Sacramento 'burbs - everyone driving giant vehicles and trying to hit 60mph between stop lights a block or three apart, no streets in a straight line, etc.

Another poster mentioned the increased taxes and cost of utilities the closer to town you get - that's also right on. Most of my "water" bill is not water. Looking at the last one, it's $13.28 for water use, $32.56 for sewer use (calculated from water use), and a total of $156.44. Also, I'm comparing that bill with the one from one year prior - my use is less than half what it was, and the bill is only down by $30.

Anyway - not trying to tell anyone they shouldn't come here, but if you DO come here be sure you already have your money lined up. There are scads of people who want to be here even if they don't have a job, and the competition for what jobs there are is fierce.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I am about 5 mile out past that... ;) Takes me 25 miles by bike to get to and cross over the Hawthorne bridge.

One reason we like it here so much is that we hated living in Nashville. I am a NJ Yank and my wife a Brit. Great place to raise the kids, but we could not wait to get outta dodge, as always... YMMV

14. robt57

But is State income tax...

15. robt57

My last job here was inspection wet basements and crawlspaces.
    More mold in TN on average FWIW.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's what happened to Seattle back in the eighties. :(

17. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Probably because most of the mold in OR drowns. ;)

18. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

:D

Kinda true. In this area the water is generally either on the ground or falling there, as opposed to a lot of the country where the water just hangs around in the air making things uncomfortable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.