Thinking of moving -- Portland or Seattle?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by a.miller, May 11, 2013.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've spent a lot of time in both Portland and Seattle, flying or driving in and out for various IT jobs. I've never met un-friendlier people, with the possible exception of NYC. You couldn't pay me enough to move to either place.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

A startling trend I blame on the internet, is that I believe people are getting unfriendlier everyday in the cities I visit, at least.

NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. used to be a stark contrast to the more southern cities on the east coast.

Now, with widespread and frequent relocations, people (especially in their 30's and younger) are so zombified (by their devices, materialism, and by the media,) that you can literally say "hello" to them and smile (as they walk by) and they will look at you with that eternal stare, expressionless, seemingly devoid of any human qualities, almost like they are a robot. That's if you catch them without their sunglasses.

If a Samaritan dropped at their feet, vomiting blood, they would sidestep quickly to avoid spatter, and MAYBE raise their eyebrows before passing by and continuing their skinny-jean trek to their destination, somewhere always "better" than where they actually are.

The cure for this is to spend a lot of money wherever you are, and abracadabra! people are friendly again!

3. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I guess you can see I wasn't blowing smoke. Go on Craigslist, Rants and Raves both in Portland and Seattle and check out how people from California are talked about. Also go to the employment section and check out the jobs. They are all listed through one of the Employment Agencies. If they even give you a job it will only last 90 days. At that point you are supposed to go on payroll, not gonna happen. They will bump you for new employee and start the process all over again.
    In addition to being a right to work state it is a sovereign state, meaning they do not monitor or deport illegal aliens. Sound familiar ?

4. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Wow!

Thanks for all the replies.

That stinks about the ill feelings toward Californians -- i'm not a native, but I guess (now) I'm from there (here).

After living in California, I miss seasons -- not snow -- but something other than constant sun. That might sound crazy.

Really, it is strictly a cost of living issue. I appreciate all the replies. I never thought of "prejudice" standing in the way of getting a job.

5. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

A lot that has to do with Late Governor Tom McCall who said

another campaign of "Don't Californica Oregon"

6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you looked in Orange County? I have a nice, comfy apartment the size of yours near the beach (Huntington) for $1,380/month. Inland is a bit less, and there are more job opportunities here than in Portland or Seattle The unemployment in this county is much lower than most of the rest of the state. Lots of great beach communities, and great areas inland in south county, Irvine to San Clemente. Also have great weather year-round, and clean air.

7. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

I'd say Portland. Cost of living is way too high in Seattle. It may as well be California. Portland is still affordable (if you can find a place to rent), has live music every night of the week and great restaurants. Don't pay attention to that "Portlandia" BS, it's not even close to true. The drawbacks are the rain (still less than Seattle), stagnant job market and lack of rentals.

8. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

I heard from some others to check out Sacramento. Thoughts?

9. electric

electric Tele-Holic

What's the difference?:p

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

NJ to NashVegas to PDX. Been here just under two years. Winters fairly mild, drizzles a lot, saying it rain a lot just is not true for the time I have been here, I have seen less umbrellas here than NJ and TN FWIW. In fact you do not really see umbrellas, mist and drizzle does not really make them necessary. Electricity is DAM cheap, we paid $90k less for our modest house [20 mile from downtown] than a lot of our neighbors paid in 2006-7 [250k market] so deal although now falling shorter are still for the grabbing I believe.

Out where the septic lay, the water bill is only for water and cheaper than NJ and TN by a lot. Like = a Mort payment less a year cheap. Closer in you get, the more fees get tagged on even beyond the sewer charge. Parks charge, run off charge, charge charges. H/O Insurance is pretty low I'd say. Taxes out this far can get pretty reasonable if you stay out of West Linn and Lake Oswego. ;) Crime rates out this far are still super low. When you get 10-15 miles out generally seems the be a delineation line.

From may to November is super nice, I mean like super! Bugs are 1/10 that of TN for example, a plus. There are more parks and places to do outside stuff than you can believe. boat/hike/bike, lots and lots. If you bicycle, this is bike city in the pinnacle sense of the term. Only bad side to that is used bikes are mad prices. You can make money in the music scene, more art and artists including musical artist than even Nashville, well close.

Now granted we are in the honeymoon period, but the culture is a non zero sum, polite society that rudeness seems scant to us for the most part. Plenty of pierced and tattooed folks roaming in all walks, lots of blue and red hair. Really good transit system which is included in the bike friendly quality of PDX.

It is so nice here once the weather breaks that the winter can be tedious, and waiting for it to subside is a bit tough. But not as tough as severe cold and snow, both in NJ and severe cold and hot in TN. But you CA folk may just like the HOT stuff if in LA. The really hot hot days you can count on 1-1/2 hands. We do not have central A/C and unless the summer have more HOT bouts we will not add it to the new heating system we did put in when we got the house here.

Another cool thing is old cars abound. Seeing an early Westfalia Bus, Beetle and 60s Econline vans driven daily is common. RV and all things fishing and camping, off the hook.

Yadi, and like that!

11. robt57

Let me add that we did a re-con visit in 2009, we liked it immediately. I recommend a long week visit to see if it is a fit. Our kids are in College out of state way before we got here, so I can't speak for public schools et al.

Oh, micro brewed beer and crazy good food all over the place too. About 2 miles from my house this time of the year out on my bike rides I see 4 Volcano/MTNS and the territorial views are way cool if you like that kind of this as we do. Ocean just under 2 hours, skiing on real snow, not man made.. a little less in the opposite direction. Yada....

12. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

What type of work do you do/want to do?

What is important to you in a city/town?

Lots of places to live, need to find a place that is the right fit.

13. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

If cost of living is what you are after, the midwest is hard to beat.

14. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

http://www.oldparkedcars.com/

Portland is a terrible place for old cars. This will give you idea of what to expect. It’ll also give you an idea of the surroundings.

The cars are soaked by rain month after month and they don’t dry out. Every winter they put down anti-icing chemicals, and worse gravel. And you’ll have to budget for regular windshield, headlight, and turn signal lense replacement. Unless you have a garage to keep your car in, mold and mildew growing on carpets and seatbelts is pretty common.

15. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

San Diego, Carlsbad/Oceanside, Long Beach, Ventura/Oxnard and SLO are nice areas where the cost of living (especially rent) should be a bit lower than in Burbank, and potentially quite a bit lower. If you want to stay closer to LA/Burbank, Montrose (in north Glendale) is a great hidden secret with affordable rents, decent schools, a neat retail district and Grayson's Tune Town. Northeast LA has areas where the rent will be cheaper as well -- check out Atwater Village, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glassell Park, Cypress Park, Garvanza and Hermon.

16. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

If you are open to another suggestion I say give Boise a look.

17. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

You know, you don't have to tell people you're from California.

18. robt57

We have these things called garages.:cool: Now NJ had costic stuff put on the roads in the winter, and acid rain to etch paint and clear coat. the Brine PDX sprays on road seem like a joke comparatively.

19. robt57

Prescott AZ was on high on our hit list before we did our PDX re-con. But we never made it there due to PDX on the visit was a go go go. Also did re-cons in Denver/Ft.Collins/ColoradoSprings which I liked and the wife was not crazy about.

20. ClintB

ClintB TDPRI Member

You know, you don't have to tell people you're from California.

Hard to apply for a job without a history of working the last several years in CA. And until you can get new plates for your car.....

But, yes, once you have that new job and Oregon plates, keep mum on your former place of employment and abode!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.