1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking of getting a new amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BillyMays, Nov 7, 2020.

1. BillyMays

BillyMays TDPRI Member

I currently own a VOX AD50VT and I am thinking of upgrading to a nicer tube amp. I do not really enjoy the VOX and its gizmo gadget feel and with a couple pedals I have, it sounds funky. When playing on my buddies Marshall setups, the sound is much nicer. He has an older DSL40C and a DSL100, but I have been eyeballing a new 2020 DSL40 at the shop. They are selling it for $650 new. Looking around, I don't think there is much else that would compare, especially for the price.

Are there any other amps that you guys would suggest? I'll be playing my Fender Bronco, Cabronita Tele and a Dean Icon custom through it if that makes any difference.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Get it! the DSL40CR with the 6 button foot switch is a monster versatile amp for the money

swervinbob, Frodebro and Tim S like this.
  3. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I hear good things about the blues/pro junior. I had a bjr about 15 years ago and I thought it sounded great.

additionally, if you’re willing to give vox another try, the ac series of tube amps might sound a bit different from your ad50. I have the hand wired version of the ac15 and many folks here have said they can’t tell a difference between that version and the PCB version, the AC15C1. The ac10 sounds great as well- I had one and I liked it so much I bought the ac15hw.

additionally, you could probably find an all hand wired tweed deluxe 5e3 clone for 650.

if vox and fender aren’t your cup of tea, the Marshall origin has a good reputation as do the DSLs.

4. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

Get a tweed champ ,hand wired. Can get em from china pretty cheap.I have one and its amazing .Only upgraded the speaker which cost about 30 bucks. Mine takes pedals really well .I went for a 25 watt jensen to replace the celestion 10 but thats cos i wanted more headroom and treble. I play an SG ,tele or strat through it

You can also get em from this place (i did) if they ship to the States

https://juketone.co.uk/product/juketone-true-blood-class-a-valve-amplifier-5w-5f1/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    RYAN1987M likes this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Presuming that you are wanting to stay in the 40-50 watt range, I would have to agree that the DSL 40 with the footswitch would be great in terms of versatility. Another option in that range would be a Fender Blues Deluxe. They seem to come and go, then come back again, but a Hot Rod DeVille has more power and Two 12s, if you don't mind the weight.
    I'm carrying around two Blues Jrs these days because they are easy to carry, most of the time I only need one, and two of them together are wicked.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You should really check out either the AC15 or the AC10 before you plunk down your money. I started with an AD30VT and then picked up an AC15C1. Two totally different amps. It's like comparing a Mustang modeler to a Princeton Reissue. I love my AC15. Sounds incredible with a Tele too.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  7. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

On TDPRI, the answer to this question is always PRRI.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The DSL40CR is a wonderful amp. I agree that getting the 6-button foot switch is a must. The big surprise for me was how nice the clean sound is. Clean, Crunch plus TWO OD channels? It can cover a LOT of ground.

Frodebro likes this.
  9. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat. I have a DSL5 but I've been looking into some other options. I like the DSL... but only for the Ultra Gain channel. For some reason, I can't dial in a cleanish tone that I like. The Ultra Gain with a p90 gets me Black Sabbath and Clutch which is a good enough reason to keep it though. Therefore, I am looking at a Supro Blues King 10 for the country/surf sounds that I am chasing.

casey2910 likes this.
  10. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

Look at the blackstar club 40 line,

11. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Always

12. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

check local craigslist- vox ac 15, tube fender etc

13. Aldus Bunbury

Aldus Bunbury TDPRI Member

Wait. Does mean there’s a time when we’re NOT thinking of getting a new amp?

bftfender, Frodebro and Tim S like this.
  14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to buy a new tube amp, that Marshall sounds like a great deal- I'd jump on it!

Mesa Boogie's can do the crunch thing really well too and have great cleans sounds. If you're willing to buy used you could probably find one in your price range. I see Mesa Express 5:25's going for $700- 900 used

green_henry likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love myVOX AD50VT. I love my 30VT even more, because it's slightly more portable.

Anyway, my advice is to stick with solid state and look into the DV Mark FGC 121.

That amp blows my mind (seriously), after hooking up an EQ to blackface the clean channel

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Mike SS likes this.
  17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

You could get a Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50. Powerful two channel tube amps that sound quite British on the gain channel.

Roland Blues Cube Hot is quite nice as well. Single channel amp that emulates a tube amp using Rolands COSM technology.

Vox MV50 AC / Rock. These are hybrid micro heads that use nutubes and class D solid state power amps. The AC really does sound like an AC and they’re powerful and light weight.

superjam144 likes this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How close were you able to get on the DV turning the Mids fully CCW to the amp + EQ pedal sound?

19. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

It's more of a theoretical state.

Frodebro likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If you're asking how "blackface" it gets, plenty. But that 10 band EQ is mightily scooped, for that

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.