1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking of changing from TXU to Reliant Energy...anybody have horror stories?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Been with TXU for almost 20 years now. But Reliant sent me a coupon for $100 off my first bill if I change over.

I'm so confused.

2. TXU Energy

TXU Energy Banned

Content removed by mod.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Wow, talk about spybots!

4. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Big brother much?

5. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

Strange that TXU would join TDPRI just to solicit for you to stay with them. Very curious.

Reliant sent me some ad today thru the mail. It seemed that they were offering me $300. I didn't read it. I threw it away because I am on contract with Ambit Energy until July. I have not been with TXU in nearly 20 years. I was on Green Mountain for about 12 years.

I think that the rates are fractional pennies from each other. The yearly difference may only amount to $150~500. It may be some of the perks that tip the balance of who yor choose as your retail provider.

For the record (assuming you are in the Dallas area), TXU, Green Mountain Energy & Reliant are the only companies that buy back excess energy if you install any solar equipment. Just one of those obscure perks.

6. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

I am on TXU also and am considering switching. I have been hearing good things about YEP energy and Champion as well. I'm still researching my options.

7. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that's a little creepy.

8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

One of the local utilities here will buy it back too...

After you pay them 70K or so for them to 'investigate' whether your system is safe to tie in to the grid.

One of my co-workers has a panel he uses for battery recharging. Every few years, that utility gets uppity about wanting to inspect it. He never lets them.

9. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

TXU - Tapdancing Xylophone Unit
    Invented in 1956 by Ignatius P Fiddlemeyer, the TXU was an electronic machine that allowed xylophone players to tapdance ontop of their xylophones.

10. emu!

Well, looks like either there is a prankster here or my business is appreciated.

Either way, the internet is one funky monkey.

Thanks, Al.

11. Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Banned

Content removed by mod.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

We have used TXU, First Choice (Worst Choice), Reliant, and for the past two years, we've been with Champion Energy.

We have been extremely happy with Champion. They've lowered our electric bills by half compared to TXU and First Choice, and about a third compared to Reliant.

I just renewed my contract with Champion and locked in at 8.1 cents per kW. No tricks or silly small print, they've been really good for us. Not sure if the 8.1 cents deal is still available, but it's among the lowest of all the advertised rates out there, and they don't nickle and dime you with fine print nonsense.

There is a monthly $2 meter fee, and if you use less than 500 kW in any given month, you have to pay an additional $4.99 "usage fee", but that only if you use less than 500kW in a month. That's it. The $4.99 meter fee has only happened to us only once or twice.

I love electric bills that are less than $50 per month! :cool:

Our typical usage averages around 1000 kW per month, so we're actually paying around $83 per month ($81 +$2), plus some taxes that you will have to pay regardless of provider.

I don't know if this is allowed, but they have a referral program where, if you sign up through a referral, you get $25 off your first month, and the referrer gets $25 off their next month too. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but I'm being completely honest when I say that Champion has been significantly better than the others we tried. If you do decide to go with Champion, my wife and I would greatly appreciate if you could do it through the following link:

Champion Referral Program!

13. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

WTF !!! :eek:

14. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Yeah I don't particularly like this thread...

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Wow!

Just Wow!

Good thing nobody mentioned "echelon"...

;)

16. csadams5

csadams5 Tele-Holic

Jayfreddy, I have been shopping Champion if I decide to use them I will use the referral for you. Thanks.

17. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Echelon.... Echelon....Echelon.... Echelon....Echelon.... Echelon....

Excuse me, someone's pounding on my door. Be back soon.....

18. emu!

Must be alot of competition in the electricity industry now...unlike years ago when you HAD to go with the lone provider. I did notice an effort to "lock in my choice" by signing a contract when I moved into a new place recently. I declined. That kind of stuff is new to me...locking into an energy provider??? Sounds like a cell phone plan.

19. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly.

In a truly "free market", I don't understand why we can't all just buy wholesale directly from "the Source". I do know that commercial rates are significantly lower than residential (aka retail) rates.

Back in the bad old days, there was only one provider in this neck of the woods. They had a monopoly and charged monopoly prices. At first the "deregulation" seemed to be more of a shell game, because the monopoly still owned all the power lines and meters, so regardless of who you chose to answer the customer service phone, you were still essentially getting your juice from the same place.

Recently, I believe the ownership of the meters has been broken away from the ownership of the lines (someone please correct me on the details here), so it seems to have actually gotten more competitive. However, I'm not sure how much of this is real competition, and how much is like the mortgage rates that were on offer back in 2006-2007...

Time will tell.

In the meanwhile, I will just reiterate that Champion has been much better for us in terms of pricing and customer service than the other companies that we've tried. Yes, there's a contract, but that seems to be the way it's done, at least here in Texas.

EDIT: I do have actual horror stories about First Choice (Worst Choice) power, so I know what the OP is talking about. Reliant was okay for us, just expensive... Read the fine print!

20. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

I just got a mail offer today from TXU with like $250 cash incentives.

JayFreddy:
    As far as I know, the meters are still owned by Oncor in most of this area. Oncor owns the power plants, power lines, meters, street lights and the meter readers. They in turn database the usage for each meter. Then the retailers get access to that billing data for their customers. (some cities like Garland, own that equipment and billing data)

For the first 3 years, the Texas deregulation appeared to be a very bad idea. Our rates were jumping up fast just like California. From what I remember, our rates were being driven by some of the same investment money from the California utilities. Our state law-makers vowed to look into that and see why are rates were not staying with the plan of price competition. I have no idea if law-makers made any progress. However, I will agree with you that suddenly our electric prices have stabilized and the competition is now in progress. Some feel that this stabilization was fueled by the Barnett Shale exploitation of the trapped natural gas field.

This is good news for Texans. There are some states average prices around $0.16 kWh - Texas is $0.10. On the other hand, it is the $0.10 price that is keeping Solar PV expansion very slow in Texas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.