1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thinking of buying an SG...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DeweyPeek, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Divine Thinline

Divine Thinline Tele-Holic

^ You get/got 24 frets & 24 frets gets you that quick(er) "blazing" fretwork without the work. It's fun taking it to the extreme too when you wanna go full on. If you like the sound though, then you've got it made, ya know? Those Guitars are as good as it gets when it comes to the price. I couldn't imagine anything better.:D

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

IMHO all you need is a Gibson SG JR 60s. Mahogany body, ( I like the Cherry one), a P-90 that's creams and your talent. I had an original '61 as a kid but it got sold, passed on, I don't recall. What I do recall is that I didn't need anything but that and an amp.
    JMHO

3. Divine Thinline

^ If you dug it then you should get another, don't ya think?

4. Joerg

Joerg TDPRI Member

I have both the standard and the 61 RI. The 61 sounds much livelier (?), better attack, just more "SG sound". However, because of the "longer" neck there are issues with sustain and dead spots around the 12th fret.
    The standard is more like a normal Les Paul. Unspectacular but usable.
    Now i would rather buy a cheap P90s model.

5. Divine Thinline

^ To each his own but a Standard is still a Standard. There's no denying that (sound).:cool:

6. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a 2008 '61 reissue that I like a lot. I think it's got 57 Classic pickups in there that sound great to me. However, this guitar took some work to get it right. When I got it it wouldn't play in tune. It took a fret leveling, a new nut and a Callaham bridge to get it right. I also put an RS electronics kit in there. But after all that work its a great guitar.

7. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One of these would be my dream SG, the Brother to Brother Allman Brothers version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Cust...4-/171649290886?pt=Guitar&hash=item27f7185286

This is the latest one listed on ebay. There are 2 others that have been listed on ebay for months now. The one I've linked to is the lowest priced one I've seen. But even if I could afford it now, I'd have some reservations about buying from a Japanese seller.

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 2013 SG Standard P-90 in black. Love the P-90's. Great price used from young person who decided that he wanted something "more expensive". Ok.
    (Stock photo). Has a baked maple fretboard - some may not like the concept - works fine for me - I don't think there's a discernible difference. What has taken getting used to are the frets - for me at least. I'm getting used to them, but they are narrow and high to my taste. YMMV.

Attached Files:

9. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

10. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I gig SG's. The weight is lighter than a LP and the body is very comfortable. They sound fantastic clean and organic dirty. They're great guitars.

$1000 could get you a new red Standard if you use a coupon or hit a sale. They are beautiful. You can find full gloss Specials for $800, the specials have dot inlays. I would swing a red Standard if you can find a deal. It's an iconic keeper.

I gig the black Special (it has chrome pickup covers now) and a red SGJ.they are workhorses.

[​IMG]

12. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Hold on there Hoss. :eek: What's that with the mini-humbuckers? :cool:

14. Divine Thinline

That's a pretty penny there for sure too for a used Guitar like that. What about it's stop bar tailpiece too? Didn't you notice that the stop bar tailpiece is rusted like it's been sitting out in the rain since '69 along with other not as significant imperfections? If that's the lowest price one that you can/could find then I'd look elsewhere. You don't have to heed my warnings though as the choice is clearly up to you. Enjoy your "new" Guitar if you decide to purchase it.;)

15. Divine Thinline

16. Divine Thinline

Yeah, plus it had square inlays, a cream(?) pickguard & a wild finish. It's from another land...lol!:lol:

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

My suggestion would be a SGJ. The Zebra pickups are really killer and would work well with punk/hard rock.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

70's Tribute SG.

Mini buckets, wider Norlin headstock, neck profile is a 60's near the nut and it thickens to a 50's fatty near the 12th fret.

19. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not a buyer of the Dickey Betts SG at this point, but to clarify, if you buy one, you are getting one that was aged to a certain extent at the factory. And one peculiarity is the tuners. There are open screw holes on the back of the headstock which duplicate the original. And this is the guitar that Derek Trucks has been playing over the past year or so. Here's a link to the Gibson site on this guitar:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Dickey-Betts-SG.aspx

20. DeweyPeek

DeweyPeek Tele-Holic

Here's what I got. 07 standard. 800 bucks. Love it!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.