Thinking of buying a Roland Blues Cube Hot

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fred4321, Jun 1, 2020.

1. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    Any thoughts on these? I like the attenuation settings.

My friend has an Artist and it was great.

The BC Hot is within my price range.

cheers

DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have three. One standard Hot, one British EL84 Modified, and one BOSS Drive Special. I absolutely love those amps. I always advocate trying in advance if you can, to make sure it is right for you, because ultimately, that's all that ever matters. Anything else you want to know?

3. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I have one and really like it. At its price point, it sounds great and has a lot of versatility. I won’t lie and say it’s on par with a vintage or handwired tube amp that costs many times more, but it’s convincing enough to be very enjoyable to play through.

My only complaint is that the USB was unimpressive with GarageBand.

DaphneBlue and gimmeatele like this.
  4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I own the Artist. It's a great amp. I am using it for my jazz guitar, as the clean setting is really nice for that creamy jazzy sound. :)

PhredE likes this.
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You lucky SOB! ;)

Btw, the "standard" Hot is a Fender Bassman Tweed 6L6 flavor.

I like all three, too, but settled on the original Fender Bassman Tweed 6L6 version.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Yes, I knew that about the standard Hot. Love it.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I played a BC 60 1x12 for years...gigged with it even. It was a great-sounding amp, built like a tank, and never had a problem with it.

PhredE and fattboyzz like this.
  8. southdtele

southdtele TDPRI Member

Agree with everyone else. Love mine. Sounds really fantastic, can use for a variety of purposes, and is reliable.

DaphneBlue and PhredE like this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I have an Artist, and it's a great amp. The only complaint I hear about the Hot is that the cabinet sounds boxier than its bigger brothers.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  10. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I use a Line6 PocketPOD into a focusrite USB box, then into GB. Sounds great. PocketPODs are cheap too.

11. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'd love a Hot but the lack of effects loop kills it for me.

12. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I'd be interested in hearing your compare-and-contrast between the standard and the drive special. The latter seem to sell for substantially less both new and used.

That is a head-scratching omission by Roland on an amp in this price range. I too would have plunked down my Mastercard by now if not for that.

schenkadere likes this.
  13. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Lots of love for them here-Great!
    The local shops don't stock them for a demo.
    After hearing my friends Artist, and the reviews of the BC Hot, I'd have to buy without trying.
    Wow! How unreal.
    Me too for the price point.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I'm a sincere lover of the blues cube hot.

As I often said it on this forum, it's my favorite amp. It's versatile, loud, subtle and articulate.

I played many gigs (indoor and outdoor) with it and I even recorded tracks with it. It's just great.

Other pros:
    - light weight
    - doesn't need to be upgraded
    - strong (except the tolex)
    - takes pedals really well

I never had the feeling that it was sounding boxy and I don't feel the need for the effect loop. No con for me!

Anacharsis likes this.
  15. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

I play through a BC Stage. Really an excellent amp and comes close enough to tube sound when playing with a band. In fact, playing alone in my house - it still sounds really good. Takes time, like with all amps, to dial into your favored tone. But it is there for me. I play clean mostly so effects loop are not my concern.

16. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

What turned me onto the BC Hot, besides having a play through my mates BC Artist was the demos and reviews via YouTube. As I only can rely on these experiences, would it be fair to say that the demos are an accurate representation of the BC Hot sound etc?
    Reason I ask is having to buy online.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker TDPRI Member

Not crazy about it. Sounds ok for blues but not much else IMO. A tube amp is much better, even one on the lower end. When you start with a solid platform you can get pedals for whatever color you want. But if you start with one color it's hard to get something different.

18. Anacharsis

You should be able to find them both for the same price new. The BOSS Drive is GC/MF only, however.

They really skew much like their inspirations. The Hot is more Fender Tweed/6L6 in flavor. The BOSS Drive is more Bluesbreaker/KT66. The BOSS Drive is more mid-forward and rounder, with more dirt, especially with the boost engaged. The standard Hot is fantastic with pedals, and the Brett Kingman demo from a few years back shows that. They both have a ton of volume - you'd need a very hard hitting drummer and no PA to not be heard well.

I can afford whatever amp I want. I plain old love these amps, and I have had a good number of well regarded tube amps. It really shines with Telecasters, but does the indie rock thing extremely well with a Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

But there's no guarantee that my liking it will mean you will, too. I'm just a random guy on the Internet.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I have one. I really like it. I have a pretty serious revolving door of amps going on at my place so I'm not going to say I will keep it around forever but I may have it for a while. I havent gotten bored with it.

The power scaling is interesting and works fairly well. If I want to het a 'tubier' feel out of the amp, I will bring the scaling down all the way and crank the amp. Its pretty loud like that, and has a convincing tube voice and feel.

If I'm doing cleaner, jazzy type tones, I will bring the scaling to the max and bring master up, gain down. Excellent, clear cleans this way. Perfect for my weird, ambient looping explorations.

I got mine 2nd hand and pretty cheap. It looks brand new.

Anacharsis likes this.
  20. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

There’s also the Boss Nextone 40W amp. My friend has one and it sounds great, and includes reverb and modulation effects.

I have the Blues Cube Artist with the NY Blues tone capsule, and really love it. Takes pedals well and is relatively lightweight for a 1x12 amp. Also has power scaling, and I’m usually just noodling at home with the 0.5W setting. But at gigs I can crank it up to 80W if necessary (usually not!).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.